Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi all
As a relative newcomer to motorhoming I have many more questions than answers, I have got a Rimor Sailer 645TC year 2004, it has got a ridiculously small external battery housing cupboard with the fuseless switching MH power unit in there as well (see photo). I would like to move the battery to the large garage, add another and put 200w solar panel on the roof. Great idea I thought, but after researching found that the charging unit installed (ArSilicii) will only take up to 100ah battery and 100w sp. My questions are: have I got to upgrade the charging/power supply unit? and the control panel?, what would you recommend if I have to?, Can I install the bats in the garage and keep the charger in the original cupboard, about 1m away, thus avoiding rewiring the whole van, I would obviously have to extend/renew the engine battery cable. As always I would be eternally grateful for some answers from you chaps/esses
Gary

Attachments

• SAM_1473.JPG
    SAM_1473.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 56

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Finding out what your charging unit will charge up to is something i never considered, I just took my 1 leisure battery out and installed 2 new ones, put 2 140w panels on the roof with a 30a controller, how you find out what your vans controller is capable of ?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
In my handbook EBL 119
Suitable batteries - 6-cell AGM or lead-gel batteries, 55 Ah and above. So I would imagine that most chargers can handle larger capacities. Solar straight to the batteries via a separate controller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
I agree, wire the Solar panel directly to the new batteries via a 20 to 30 amp charge controller. Make sure you use a thick enough cable to handle the current so that there is minimal voltage drop. With a 200 watt panel you should rarely have to fall back on the mains charging unit.

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks, that`s what I would have said but I contacted a chap at aandncaravans and he has stated that 120ah is the absolute max my charger will cope with. I would love to know if any rimor owners have had this problem

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your charger will charge a 220ah battery bank....it will just take longer.
My last battery bank was 440ah and the original charger had a 25amp output.
As it was designed for American leccy (120v 60Hz) and analogue output it didn't agree with a UK 50Hz supply so eventually It was changed to a 45amp 120v 50Hz jobbie which charged faster

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Finding out what your charging unit will charge up to is something i never considered, I just took my 1 leisure battery out and installed 2 new ones, put 2 140w panels on the roof with a 30a controller, how you find out what your vans controller is capable of ?

Allan at A and N Caravan Services writes about Battery Bank Capacities half-way down the page here < Battery Bank Sizing >; seems that modern chargers support a battery bank roughly 10 times the charger output.

His site is well worth a read.

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks Imbiber, I have read countless threads on adding batteries, solar panels etc but I can`t say iv`e noticed anything about upgrading power units, chargers etc. I have to say I am more than a little confused now

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thinking about this, to safely add a second battery and/or solar panels, you should upgrade your power unit, charger and alternator. I am sure I haven't heard anything like that on here even from people who genuinely seem to know their stuff ie techno

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What you have to bare in mind is.....you are not charging flat batteries, they are usually pretty well charged so if no current is being drawn the charger is having a really easy time.
Once your battery is charged any power needs come from the charger, if on hook up etc, not the battery.
The battery is there in case your demand exceeds the chargers output.
Yes, the power is coming from the battery but the charger is replacing that power as its used.
If your charger is rated at 15amps and you draw 20amps you draw 15a from the charger and 5a from the battery.

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
So pappajohn, my charger is rated at 10amps, so do you think 2 x 120ah batts would be ok as well as hooking up 2 x 100 watt sps, as long as I don`t allow the batteries to get too low. And thanks to all for taking the trouble to add comments

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Can I suggest the OP reads this web page, http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/arsilicii.php it shows photographs of units destroyed by the Alternator current where a second battery has been added and explains how/why the damage occurs.

There is also a web page that covers adding a second battery in more general terms to other manufacturers power units that are also susceptible -
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/add-a-second-battery.php

It shows photos of units that have caught fire showing that not all Power controller/chargers will support more than one battery and gives advice on what can be done to get around some of the issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back