Caravan movers (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Anyone ever thought of fitting these to the rear of a front wheel drive motorhome? Just to get you moving if stuck in mud. A pair of heavy duty are rated at two ton, fit four on a tag and your up to 4ton.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cheap 4WD when helped by the fronts. I did suggest using the motor mover to help when stuck to a couple of tugger friends. All I got were blank stares.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Might be a bit of clutch slipping involved as they are not the fastest!

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Wouldn't work

I'm still a tugger and we have a mover fitted we upgraded to the metal rollers as soon as they were available too
there are so many variables to get them to work correctly

1/ tyre pressure -- should never be out anyway
2/ gap between mover and tyre -- should be correct if your engineer is worth his money
3/ gradient works -- better on the flat have a gradient limit though
3/ ground condition -- prefers dry well packed ground
4/ ground composition -- dry packed composition not large lumps long grass or mud
5/ transmitter battery state - - needs a new battery every 6-12 months

if 1 or 2 is out then the mover is inefficient to not working - if 4 or 5 is wrong ditto and anything that come between the tyre and roller you loose traction completely and Mud is the prefect way to stop it working

if the battery is low then the remote will work intermittently

and most of all the wheels must be free-wheeling any resistance or moving too fast the the motor will stop

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Have you come round from a dream?

Get th Sen a beer, sit down then in a while read what you posted!

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I've had to tow dozens of motorhomes and caravans out of the mud over the last couple of years and, very often, when the four wheel drive tractor is spinning its wheels and the caravan is going nowhere, the motor mover will get it out.
Slowly, but it works.
Maybe the idea has some traction.
(Sorry) :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Do YOU know how much they are?
I saw a caravan the other day with four on, both axles and they must have had a good battery set. I thought they were to move a caravan into the final parking postion, why four????

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your wheels spin using the engine there's every chance the rears won't grip either....even at the slow speed of movers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do YOU know how much they are?
I saw a caravan the other day with four on, both axles and they must have had a good battery set. I thought they were to move a caravan into the final parking postion, why four????
Four is overkill.
I have a pair on the rear axle (trim axle caravan)
In a straight line both drive equally.
In a turn the out drives constantly while the inner drives intermittently.
This allows the outer to perform the turn while the inner drives to realign the tyres then stops to continue the turn then repeats.
Makes a very big turning circle but protects the tyres from excessive sideways scrub.
The turn is very 'thrupenny bit' style.
Single axle of course can turn on its own axis...one wheel forward, t'other backwards.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Anyone ever thought of fitting these to the rear of a front wheel drive motorhome? Just to get you moving if stuck in mud. A pair of heavy duty are rated at two ton, fit four on a tag and your up to 4ton.
You would have to use them alone, without engaging the drive wheels, or you could rip them off their mountings, or at best, wreck the mover gearbox, or even the motors.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
What you really need is a couple of VTOL engines of a harrier jump jet. This would lighten the weight of the motorhome or caravan and at the same time dry the ground underneath. The only extra expense would be to clad the motorhome in asbestos due to a slight fire risk, this could also be dealt with slightly cheaper by using your BBQ flame extinguisher.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You would have to use them alone, without engaging the drive wheels, or you could rip them off their mountings, or at best, wreck the mover gearbox, or even the motors.

Not everybody drives at 90 miles an hour toots, that's the old army training coming out, some of us can use first gear.:D From the movers I have seen, a walking pace or thereabouts seems to be the norm, first gear, slip the clutch, engage movers and off we go.

Maybe.:LOL:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Not everybody drives at 90 miles an hour toots, that's the old army training coming out, some of us can use first gear.:D From the movers I have seen, a walking pace or thereabouts seems to be the norm, first gear, slip the clutch, engage movers and off we go.

Maybe.:LOL:
Well, we had a van with movers fitted, and I know how slowly I can slip the clutch in first gear without stalling, and to me, (which means very little on the Einstein scale of intelligence), the two just aren't compatible.
How would you judge your speed, and regulate it to the speed of the movers, without inducing overspeed?
Now. I can see an argument for mounting heavy duty movers on the non driven axle/wheels, and engaging them, (engine running to supply the amps), because they may supply the torque required to propel the whole vehicle out of a sticky spot, but not, I'm afraid, when working in tandem with the driven wheels.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
So if we fitted the movers with a rachet, that would take care of any overspeed. Better get down the patent office quick before anybody nicks my idea.:D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine slip on the tyres if the load is too great (kerbs etc).
Correct tyre pressure, recommended 20mm gap between tyre and drive roller when off, steel/alloy rollers.
After ripping some tread off I learned to avoid kerbs.
I have driven off with them engaged, just once, and it simply dragged the wheels.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
12V winch? with remote control?. And attached to:- Toad/"Fred`s" Motor-home ? any useful piece of "furniture" gate post, etc? engage high gear, slip clutch a little (like driving on ice) and wind in the winch?.(y). Repeat until out of "poo".:) or not?:(

Pete

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Saw a large Dutch tag axle with motor mover fitted on an aire in Spain last month. Got chatting to the owner about them
and he said "No work, total waste of money"

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
12V winch? with remote control?. And attached to:- Toad/"Fred`s" Motor-home ? any useful piece of "furniture" gate post, etc? engage high gear, slip clutch a little (like driving on ice) and wind in the winch?.(y). Repeat until out of "poo".:) or not?:(

Pete

You don't need a winch, simply get the rope wrapped round the drive wheels and use the wheel turning to pull yourself along the rope??? Saw video on youtube of someone doing this, can't find it now though for some reason.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You don't need a winch, simply get the rope wrapped round the drive wheels and use the wheel turning to pull yourself along the rope??? Saw video on youtube of someone doing this, can't find it now though for some reason.

I have seen it done with a "Span Strap", (Truck Lashing) But you have to be VERY careful not to finish up with the rope wrapped around the axle and Brakes!.

One of these:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161819619554?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT with a Mounting to the Recovery point on the M-H. would be safer?.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Tirfor winch

Problem then, is that you cannot be in the driving seat AND jacking the winch at the same time. So only really any use if you have assistance to hand?. Whereas with the remote on an Electric winch you are in control of BOTH at the same time. (BUT, don`t tell the wife as she will get the idea that men can multi-task!!):whistle::whistle:

Pete

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What you really need is a couple of VTOL engines of a harrier jump jet. This would lighten the weight of the motorhome or caravan and at the same time dry the ground underneath. The only extra expense would be to clad the motorhome in asbestos due to a slight fire risk, this could also be dealt with slightly cheaper by using your BBQ flame extinguisher.
Just imagine the spray off the mud when on full belt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back