Been to the NEC, come home poor, very very poor! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
OK, now you can call me 'funster in waiting'! March 2017!

Firstly thanks for your input, re island beds and rear lounge and everything else to help a first timer!

i now have a few more questions and this one is called -'BOOKS TO BUY' I have many other questions but this is for books only!

We really would like some information to help us find places to stay but not on camping sites. i've heard 'Britstops' is good. Things like staying in pub car parks, having a meal for the evening and moving on. This sounds great to us!

Where do we start looking for pub carparks and wilding camping uk. We like the thought of not planning but 'lets try this' tonight.

Please please give me a list of suggestions of what to buy and web sites to bookmark to help us find those perfect spots!

Wow, i'm so looking forward to March and join in the fun!

Many many thanks for your previous input, as my mrs says, we are buying an adventure and not a motorhome
xx

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Thanks, downloading the app for my iphone now!

I will have a good look at it later and see what it is about.

xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
For starters.
Book... Britstops, plenty of pub car park and more.
App... Campercontact, buy the full app once you have your new MH.
There will be plenty more recomendations I'm sure.
Enjoy.
Spud

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
And you bought?
Spud

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Congratulations. We've found that by joining the Caravan and camping club it has improved our weekends away hugely. We don't stay on their sites but use their District Associations. These hold meets most weekends and you can choose to stay local or go further afield.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Spud, its secrets for now until family get to know, but its a monster for first timer 7.5m!

Cant wait to upload photos when I can.

its a new way of life for me!

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Oh bollocks to family secrets,

Apache 700

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Ah, I see, you've spent some of their inheritance!
You now need to change your profile, your no longer 'looking'.
Spud

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Also, i would love to meet up if anyone is around St Austell Cornwall to chat about what to do next!

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
It is a new beginning to us, we have sailed as a hobby for most of our leisure time and now its something completely different. for me, it's quite scary what we have just done, its a great leap into the dark not knowing if we will like it or not, hence the pleas for help. BUT we are giving it our best shot and looking forward to meeting face up where we can!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations ! Ask away as you will get lots of help on here. Look forward to seeing photos !

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi CL,
The living on board is similar to afloat, calling at different ports of call is similar, the voyage will not be so bumpy and only one person does all the work whilst travelling, however, when you see yachts in harbours you will still have the memories of those days and maybe still want to charter at some time. Bon voyage.
Etap

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
It is a new beginning to us, we have sailed as a hobby for most of our leisure time and now its something completely different. for me, it's quite scary what we have just done, its a great leap into the dark not knowing if we will like it or not, hence the pleas for help. BUT we are giving it our best shot and looking forward to meeting face up where we can!
Bit risky if you haven't experienced motorhome/caravan before, mind you better than sea sickness :ROFLMAO: Good luck though!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Congrats, i am sure you will love it, we are by no means experienced as we have been only doing this for 3 years. Our first trip in our first motorhome was down to the south of spain around 3000 miles lol. We loved it, never heard of AIRES or Pub stops etc but just took a leap of faith, now 3 years on and just order our 3rd motorhome (hopefully 3rd time lucky).

There are many many knowledgable people on this forum and other forums which I am sure will be able to help with anything you are not sure of. :)

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Hi Louis

I agree! We thought about hiring, try before you buy, but decided we wouldn't experience the get away when we want to factor! We have given it our best shot and hopefully after a year or so, will know whether the risk paid off.

It was the same with boating, bought a nice boat and loved it. We sold the boat because the £8000 / year running costs and use of only a few nice days in summer.

We chose the '700' because its as near match to our boat, plenty of room to lounge around. The big advantage, not being stuck with wind, tide and sea state conditions!

Our biggest concern is not having transport when we get somewhere, but it is the same as boating, pull into a harbour and use public transport.

I also am a great believer in you only live once and you cant take it with you! And in 10 years from now, I don't want to be thinking I wish I had tried that.....

Cliff

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
Don't rule out going on sites, most have good standard toilet and shower facilities and a great many people prefer this, also many feel a degree of security being with a site with others around.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I quite agree cliffdalr, I had same thoughts moving from c...van to motorhome, I take bikes, no real hassle in tidying up and driving, walking and as you say public transport. Best of all park up close to towns or large campsites. I enjoyed three weeks of non driving at Narbonne in August, Hope you have many enjoyable tours :pop:

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
boroboy

Hopefully a mix of wild spots and camp sites. Really happy to go to sites with restaurants/ pools and sites are a great place to meet people for chats and have drinks.

Our local pub is next to a popular camp site and often have chats with people from the site. Many times we walk through the camp site admiring some of the fantastic motorhomes and caravans!

Strangely, I haven't spotted a funster sticker yet! I love the decorations, flashing lights, flags etc that people display!

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I use" maps.me " app.
Have just returned from a month in France and this app was great. Just type what
you want in search eg Campsite, supermarket or fuel and you get lots of options.
We use it in UK as well.
Good luck on your future travels and enjoy.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
OK, now you can call me 'funster in waiting'! March 2017!

Firstly thanks for your input, re island beds and rear lounge and everything else to help a first timer!

i now have a few more questions and this one is called -'BOOKS TO BUY' I have many other questions but this is for books only!

We really would like some information to help us find places to stay but not on camping sites. i've heard 'Britstops' is good. Things like staying in pub car parks, having a meal for the evening and moving on. This sounds great to us!

Where do we start looking for pub carparks and wilding camping uk. We like the thought of not planning but 'lets try this' tonight.

Please please give me a list of suggestions of what to buy and web sites to bookmark to help us find those perfect spots!

Wow, i'm so looking forward to March and join in the fun!

Many many thanks for your previous input, as my mrs says, we are buying an adventure and not a motorhome
xx
Don't worry about it Cliffdale....One man's poverty is another man's riches....;):)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We ordered ours from the show in October with a quoted delivery of March and eventually took delivery in May!

Unacceptable.

This might also be a clue to the poor quality control on many vans now, they are just overstretched.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Can't complain about the quality of the van and its over two years now with a good deal of use. from other comments, both on here and on the road, I don't think our wait was unusual. My disappointment was that, if this delay is normal, then why did the deal provide the original delivery date thus raising our expectations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back