Smashing down doors near Perpignan (1 Viewer)

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
This happened to us recently just south of Perpignan. Thank God for the dash cam, the other driver failed to stop.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Wow, guess it wasnt tied down very well/at all, much damage?

Martin

OP
OP
EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Unfortunately yes Martin, the whole of the front end damaged, radiator burst, fuse/relay box smashed, panoramic rooflight and scratches down both sides. It was a heavy chipboard door with a metal frame. Thankfully it hit us flat rather than side on or we could have been beheaded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Good grief, that must have been a horrible shock! Thank goodness you weren't hurt physically, even if somewhat mentally scarred I imagine.

Presume there is little chance of the offending driver or vehicle being traced?

At least your insurance company can't argue with exactly what happened.

Hope you can get everything sorted without too much pain.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
As you say, thankfully it hit you flat. Could easily have come through screen.
I bet that shock you up. Glad you're safe and unhurt. (y)
I think dash cams will soon be part of the vehicle fabric.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damn, sorry this happened to you. is your video good enough to get the reg? Were the police helpful? Please keep us updated on your progress on this?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We got him Mike, went to police with a still image from the video, gave them his reg, model, and colour, and at the 5th time of asking they dragged him in. He lived half a mile from the police stn.
Sorry for my previous post. This is what happens when you open a post, then go to make a coffee, get distracted then remember to read it and reply...

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wow you were both so lucky .
A real pain to have to do all the repairs!
What surprises me is the lack of screaming or swearing after the accident it would have been blue in our van I'm sure!
Safe travels from now on.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
My daughter's car was hit by an empty (luckily) wooden crate that came off the back of a truck in front of her. The truck didn't stop; probably didn't know. Caused a huge amount of damage but luckily she was ok. She now has a dash cam in her car.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Terrible thing to happen, but it could have been so much worse. Both unlucky and lucky at the same time. A MH can be repaired.

As the offending car first comes into view the door is already lifting up at the front. I'm wondering if the daft twat was using bungee cords - I've seen that so many times with surfboards.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Glad your both ok also love my dash cam is a nextbased cam you have

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Great that you had the footage and the culprit caught but more importantly you weren't injured.
Must have given you a hell of a fright though.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Glad to hear you are all ok & managed to get the other driver as well.(y)
When working in the Uk down in Devon we use to have a game we played " furnish a house" comprising all the things we see /spot /pick up whilst out on the motorway. I've even had a complete double bed with under storage come off a roof rack & dumped onto the M5 infront of me ! You would be amazed ,& frightened , at what you'd see .
That is why I firmly believe that anyone using roof rack/bars for carrying equipment or rear mounted bike/ski-racks to be subject to a 50mph limit same as trailers & add in no overtaking.(y)

As the offending car first comes into view the door is already lifting up at the front. I'm wondering if the daft twat was using bungee cords - I've seen that so many times with surfboards.

2 years ago on North Devon link road bloke was using ratchet straps but the cheapo ones & one snapped , boards came off , bloke & his wife in an old sports car , out for a ride took one through the windscreen seriously injuring the passenger, driver swerved & took out car head on coming the other way. Horrendous . At least the bloke who lost the boards stopped . The ensuing clear up ,etc; closed the road for 14 hours. nightmare.
<Broken link removed>

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you posted this on Facebook a short while ago..
Sorry to hear about the damage but great news they got the guy..

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Terrifying, glad you were both OK and the guy got caught!

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Glad you're all ok but sorry to hear of your damage.
Little consolation but your motorhome can be repaired and that's the way you need to look at it.
As for the other driver - I hope they throw the book at him the spineless b'tard. Fancy not stopping to even ensure you were ok if nothing else.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Lucky. (y)(y)(y) Are they charging the barsteward???

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It happened to my husband. TWO single metal garage doors came flying over the central reservation. He was thankful that he was in our large Volvo as the one that hit caused much damage but he was unhurt.
Glad you ok.

OP
OP
EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Sadly we've just been informed today that our beloved motorhome is being written off. Eth and myself have enjoyed 7 wonderful years of retirement travelling in our mh, but it seems that an idiot driver combined with a rediculously low valuation of our van by Brownhills, Newark, have combined to put an end to our travels. Shame really because Brownhills themselves had a van which we may have considered as a replacement. But if this is the way they treat their customers then it's goodbye from me.
Geoff.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
You must be gutted try looking around to see what vans like yours are selling for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back