Rapido 9000 DFH, Who does a Type Approved Tow Bar for this Vehicle (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If i was to get a new 2017 Rapido 9000 DFH who does a type approved towbar for it as i am being told if i go for it i cant add this on as it is too far down the factory line to change (although i wouldnt anyway as i have been reading it is around 2k from Rapido).

It essential that i have a towbar so this could be a breaking point for me!

Anybody had one fitted recently, i know there are companies like armitage and pws but i dont know if these are type approved.

I will call round tomorrow but if anyone has any info it would be good to know.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So thats a Fiat on Alco chassis presumably, does it have chassis extensions under the garage/back end.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So thats a Fiat on Alco chassis presumably, does it have chassis extensions under the garage/back end.

Martin
It is a Fiat with Alko Chassis, not sure on the extenstions though to be honest, hopefully someone can confirm this

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sorry to say I think this type approved towbar thing,whilst being sensible about fitting yourself ( but who would'nt be) is a real con!
It was over €1200 on our new van,then we collected and the idiots had put no electrical plug on,like you it was a dealbreaker and we were shortly heading off for winter with scooter on trailer,they couldn't understand my annoyance.
Of course with a new vehicle with canbus you can't just wire into the lights like we did in the old days.We had to go to another trailer place which I found in 5 mins on the internet after being told there were no plugs in France and get the wiring done,crazy.
Really hope you find what you are looking for with no stress.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Ring armitages at knotingley West Yorkshire I would be suprised if he did not fit one or know if it's possible
They are on my list to call this morning

Another potential option worth a call is PWS towbars / engineering in Poole, not so far from you, Zac.

These are my preferred if possible as they are much closer than armitage but when I spoke with then around the autotrail they said there's were not type approved. We will see though as that was 2 years ago.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Watling Engineers in St Albans.

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk

They're used to fitting them to Rapidos with AlKo chassis.

@zac Rapido don't use the entire AlKo so it's not just a case of bolting a tow bar on to the end. Ignore the AlKo page on their website, you won't be able to find all the dimensions it asks for.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

@zac Rapido don't use the entire AlKo so it's not just a case of bolting a tow bar on to the end. Ignore the AlKo page on their website, you won't be able to find all the dimensions it asks for.
I did see the page, i will have to call them to see if they can do one. No point me providing dimensions as if i do it definitely won't fit lol. Looks like i am going to have to take a leap of faith with this and order the van and sort towbar later.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I did see the page, i will have to call them to see if they can do one. No point me providing dimensions as if i do it definitely won't fit lol. Looks like i am going to have to take a leap of faith with this and order the van and sort towbar later.

They will do it for you.

Usually with a Rapido A class the last AlKo section on each side is omitted because the garage gets in the way.

What they have to do is fabricate new pieces to replace the missing sections and fit around the garage.

They can then bolt the type approved tow bar to these new sections.

I'm sure others will do a similar job but I was impressed with Watling when I spoke to them so they're who I will be using when I finally get round to having one fitted.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
They will do it for you.

Usually with a Rapido A class the last AlKo section on each side is omitted because the garage gets in the way.

What they have to do is fabricate new pieces to replace the missing sections and fit around the garage.

They can then bolt the type approved tow bar to these new sections.

I'm sure others will do a similar job but I was impressed with Watling when I spoke to them so they're who I will be using when I finally get round to having one fitted.
They are also quite close to me as well which will be convenient

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

I would recommend Watlings as well. The A Frame people suggested I go there for the best job (even though they do towbars themselves) - Watlings fitted stronger chassis extensions and then the towbar. Did a good job

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Our Burstner Aclass ( Ducato with Alko) had a Bosal Towbar and Fiat wireing kit fitted by Jacques tow bar services in York for about £850. Superb job and very helpful guy. If you want his advice I am sure he will help you. He knows what he is on about.
Cheers
Bernie

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I recently purchased a tow bar from Tow Trust and it fits like a glove. Very helpful to deal with and realistically priced. Originally my Carthago had a dealer bar fitted by Armitage but it turned out to be for a van not an AClass. The result was low clearance so grounding all the time.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I would recommend Watlings as well. The A Frame people suggested I go there for the best job (even though they do towbars themselves) - Watlings fitted stronger chassis extensions and then the towbar. Did a good job

Our Burstner Aclass ( Ducato with Alko) had a Bosal Towbar and Fiat wireing kit fitted by Jacques tow bar services in York for about £850. Superb job and very helpful guy. If you want his advice I am sure he will help you. He knows what he is on about.
Cheers
Bernie

I recently purchased a tow bar from Tow Trust and it fits like a glove. Very helpful to deal with and realistically priced. Originally my Carthago had a dealer bar fitted by Armitage but it turned out to be for a van not an AClass. The result was low clearance so grounding all the time.

Thanks for the all the advice, very helpful as always on here and has given me the confidence to order the 9000 DFH, so finally my Sieve of a motorhome will now be going. Wont be till March next year but there is hope on the horizon :).

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi Sue

I was good to meet you Saturday and as discussed our one is now going, i got a little more on the p/x plus some extra's thrown in so not all bad and i will now be a lot less stressful. I wanted a hymer that we saw there but with the extra's it would of took us way over budget (it was similar to yours). Now i know it is going i wont be worried about getting the remaining items fixed as they can sort that out when they get ours in Jan 2017.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Great news! Looking forward to seeing you both again some rallies :)

Reactions: zac

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They are on my list to call this morning

These are my preferred if possible as they are much closer than armitage but when I spoke with then around the autotrail they said there's were not type approved. We will see though as that was 2 years ago.

We did it have a lot of fun with the Poole lot
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/i-have-waited-for-two-years.80146/#post-1003730

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi MikeD

I called them this morning and i was told that it would NOT be type approved as the extensions they would need to fit which the type approval towbar would need to be bolted to would not be part of the approval. This will be the last option as i need to be able to tow, at the moment i am waiting on a call back from Watling who sounds a lot more confident.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I live near watling tow bars and have never heard a bad word about them but alas they did not make an approved tow bar for the tracker we had.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Handy with a hacksaw and Welding Kit?. It`s Only lumps of steel. WE made our own!.

Pete

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Handy with a hacksaw and Welding Kit?. It`s Only lumps of steel. WE made our own!.

Pete
I want it to work which it would not if i did it :)

Had a call back from Watlings and they have said they can do but need the van for a couple of days which will be no problem. One less thing to worry about,i have now also asked if they can add it at the factory as cant see why they cannot even if the order cant be changed as it is only bolted on afterwards. We will wait and see but always good to have a backup. Just got to sort out a few more things now like a tv for the front (avtex) it says 21" max but i know avtex do a 21.5" but dont know if this will be too big.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I want it to work which it would not if i did it :)

Had a call back from Watlings and they have said they can do but need the van for a couple of days which will be no problem. One less thing to worry about,i have now also asked if they can add it at the factory as cant see why they cannot even if the order cant be changed as it is only bolted on afterwards. We will wait and see but always good to have a backup. Just got to sort out a few more things now like a tv for the front (avtex) it says 21" max but i know avtex do a 21.5" but dont know if this will be too big.

My post was very Tongue in Cheek. But it is a fact that most are constructed from Rectangular Mild Steel tube stock, over-engineered, (as mine is !) and the biggest issue is getting the maker to advise on the Pick-up points!. More serious (IMV) is the Loading (Scooters etc;) that get put on some, which must take the Tongue Weight way over the recommended, and put a high leverage on the rear axle and wheels / tyres. Pulling a Trailer, properly loaded, or an (dare we say?:whistle::whistle:) "A" frame!. imparts far ;less stress.

Pete

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
My post was very Tongue in Cheek. But it is a fact that most are constructed from Rectangular Mild Steel tube stock, over-engineered, (as mine is !) and the biggest issue is getting the maker to advise on the Pick-up points!. More serious (IMV) is the Loading (Scooters etc;) that get put on some, which must take the Tongue Weight way over the recommended, and put a high leverage on the rear axle and wheels / tyres. Pulling a Trailer, properly loaded, or an (dare we say?:whistle::whistle:) "A" frame!. imparts far ;less stress.

Pete
The one we had fitted to the Autotrail Delaware cost £795 and when i watched them fit it there was no way that was worth that much money. It took them all of 45mins to fit it as all holes pre drilled just bolt in. The longest part was fitting the electrics, i am pretty sure i could of fitted the actual towbar which is saying something. :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The one we had fitted to the Autotrail Delaware cost £795 and when i watched them fit it there was no way that was worth that much money. It took them all of 45mins to fit it as all holes pre drilled just bolt in. The longest part was fitting the electrics, i am pretty sure i could of fitted the actual towbar which is saying something. :)

Over the years, I have always done my own fitting and electrics. This "Type Approval" is an absolute "CON". I make my own even now, for "Classic" cars. It`s Not "Rocket Science", It`s more like "proper" Engineering!.

Pete

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@zac This guy does a brilliant job and will come and do it on your driveway he's based in Bournmouth.
We had him fit one to our Exsis on Alko Fiat/chassis
Gary
Towbar Fitter 07778 343464

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i went with the factory fitted tow bar,i got it at a good discount and the euro was around 1.40 at the time ,my concern was based around the warranty ,if a badly fitted aftermarket tow bar would damage the chassis

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back