Data only Sim with no time limit? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Does anyone do Data only Sims that you do not to use the data up in a certain time period or loose it?

IMHO time limits on sims are a disgraceful scam and should be illegal. If I've paid for the data I should be able to use it hen I want and not have it "confiscated" if I don't use it as fast as the data provider would like.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
three do the 12gb sim that last for 12months .. how long do you need :)

Deleted User
@Gromett have you used these abroad? Wondering if they lock out after 2 months? Though at that price still good for 2 months worth, I assume you buy a load and swap out as they run out?
Our know how dongle has been taken over by globalgig and not very good value anymore, if that mifi is unlocked I assume we can just use these?

Lin :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett have you used these abroad? Wondering if they lock out after 2 months? Though at that price still good for 2 months worth, I assume you buy a load and swap out as they run out?
Our know how dongle has been taken over by globalgig and not very good value anymore, if that mifi is unlocked I assume we can just use these?

Not used them abroad. They last me about a week each so......

I buy 2 at a time and order the next batch when I finish the first one.

If your mifi is unlocked it should work in theory. I am not familiar with globalgig and you haven't stated which mifi model you are using.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Not used them abroad. They last me about a week each so......

I buy 2 at a time and order the next batch when I finish the first one.

If your mifi is unlocked it should work in theory. I am not familiar with globalgig and you haven't stated which mifi model you are using.
Its a ZTEMF65, not too bothered about keeping same one, but do need to use as mifi rather than in a device as laptop doesn't take Sim. Some of the feedback on the site said it wouldn't tether abroad mifi is a tether of sorts.
Thanks Lin :)

Deleted User
The Three preloaded SIMs allow tethering in their Feel at Home countries, which cover most of Europe. But only allowed 2 months with them abroad.
thank you, two months is fine would use 12gb easily in two months, right so I'm going to order some and to be on safe side will activate all before leaving UK.

Lin(y)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
thank you, two months is fine would use 12gb easily in two months, right so I'm going to order some and to be on safe side will activate all before leaving UK.

Lin(y)
loads of peps here use them abroad , seems to be the norm,, as for the mifi being locked , u can unlock them on e-bay for like 99p ,, if they are in fact actually locked in the 1st place

Deleted User
I have just received an email from my memory regarding the sim cards, they said I would need to open an account with Three to use them.
So how does that work, my mifi unit isn't a Three one, I don't have a Three account. When I put the Three Sim in my mifi how does it create an account, does it direct me to create an account via the first device I try to use, say the laptop? And what then happens for the following sim cards, do you create new accounts for every sim card?
Just wondering if it requires address & email when you create the accounts wont Three then realise I have multiple account that I never top up, just keep creating new ones to keep the overseas working?
Online Three says pay as you go need to be converted to add ons to use abroad, is this automatic?
Thanks in advance

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have just received an email from my memory regarding the sim cards, they said I would need to open an account with Three to use them.
So how does that work, my mifi unit isn't a Three one, I don't have a Three account. When I put the Three Sim in my mifi how does it create an account, does it direct me to create an account via the first device I try to use, say the laptop? And what then happens for the following sim cards, do you create new accounts for every sim card?
Just wondering if it requires address & email when you create the accounts wont Three then realise I have multiple account that I never top up, just keep creating new ones to keep the overseas working?
Online Three says pay as you go need to be converted to add ons to use abroad, is this automatic?
Thanks in advance
These should be plug and play, pop into mifi turn on and connect thats it, no registering unless they have changed it but not that i am aware of.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've used my 1st one and don't think I made am account .. 3 sim in a 3 mifi unit.
Only reason I could see you needing to make an account would be to top it up.. but you won't be doing that for what you are using it for. . As that's way more expensive. Just bin it when used and insert a new sim :)

Deleted User
I
@Milliemobile what SIM do you have? The preloaded PAYG ones do not need you to be registered to use it. I think they may have emailed me to recommend that I register, but I ignored that and carried on using it.
I haven't got any at moment was ordering the three ones from My memory.
I think they will work fine for what we need, as yourself and @Bart have said. Worst case if they don't work abroad will still have 9 months in UK to use them on return. I'm going to order 3 of the Three 12gb, will test in current knowhow mifi hopefully will work if not will have to buy a Three mifi from the shop in town.

Thanks

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
I don't think 3 is much use on Mull (or indeed where I live) ....anyone know of the best network? I have a Vodafone ipad and an O2 iphone and neither cover the island very well. Anyone use EE?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I
I haven't got any at moment was ordering the three ones from My memory.
I think they will work fine for what we need, as yourself and @Bart have said. Worst case if they don't work abroad will still have 9 months in UK to use them on return. I'm going to order 3 of the Three 12gb, will test in current knowhow mifi hopefully will work if not will have to buy a Three mifi from the shop in town.

Thanks

You don't need to get a Three mifi, and they will try to sell it to you with a contract. You can easily get yours unlocked - just search ebay with the make and model number. Or if you do want to buy a new one then have look on Amazon for new unlocked ones.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks in advance
Are you sure you aren't looking at phone sims, they need an account to work but not data sims.
Just read your last sentence again , yes that is phone sims you are looking at.

Deleted User
Are you sure you aren't looking at phone sims, they need an account to work but not data sims.
Just read your last sentence again , yes that is phone sims you are looking at.
Yes I think your right, the Three site doesn't clearly give info on data pay as you go only. It blends it with the phone stuff. I've ordered 3 data 12gb ones from my memory. I'm sure will get them to work one way or another.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes I think your right, the Three site doesn't clearly give info on data pay as you go only. It blends it with the phone stuff. I've ordered 3 data 12gb ones from my memory. I'm sure will get them to work one way or another.

Do you want to link us to what you actually bought so that we can confirm you have the right ones?

Deleted User
Do you want to link us to what you actually bought so that we can confirm you have the right ones?
I've ordered these -3 PAYG 4G Trio Data SIM Pack Preloaded with 12GB of Data.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I've ordered these -3 PAYG 4G Trio Data SIM Pack Preloaded with 12GB of Data.

I have one of these and recently used it in france every day for 4 weeks and still have 5 gb left so well pleased with it. They do have a shelf life of 12 months tho.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
The Three preloaded SIMs allow tethering in their Feel at Home countries, which cover most of Europe. But only allowed 2 months with them abroad.
I hate to argue but I tried tethering in France last month and at first it worked but a couple of days later had message from 3 saying it wasn't allowed. After that it wouldn't tether

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I hate to argue but I tried tethering in France last month and at first it worked but a couple of days later had message from 3 saying it wasn't allowed. After that it wouldn't tether
Are you sure you are talking about the same SIMs? The Three preloaded data SIMs are specifically for Mifis, which are only ever used for "tethering". As I say I and many others on here have used them in that way successfully. It may be different with phone SIMs, but I was referring to a Data SIM.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I think that the Sim does not see tethering in a mifi unit, perhaps it blocks it ?. The sim I used was a 12 gig from 3 in a dual sim phone

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think 3 is much use on Mull (or indeed where I live) ....anyone know of the best network? I have a Vodafone ipad and an O2 iphone and neither cover the island very well. Anyone use EE?
Use your phone to scan for networks, this will at least show what is available. If one comes up as 4g then that is a reasonable suggestion it has good coverage. But try talking to some locals as well.

As for the OP question, the sim Grommet linked to is the one to get. If you buy a phone sim and put it in a MiFi then Three will block it after a day or two. It happened to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back