Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Your views please on whether these are worth it for more than just peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
They are things that fit over the handles at the bottom of top-hinged windows. supposedly makes it more difficult to introduce the knock-out gas tube or similar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I won't have a problem with the gas as our MH is not UK reg - but with so many of you at risk I imagine most of you have had to introduce this sort of measure to meet insurance requirements.

:dm:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've always thought they were pretty pointless

OK so it might make it marginally more difficult to break the window catches but it's still a plastic window. If someone tries to break in using the normal method all they need to do is use slightly more force and instead of the catch breaking the window will break where the catch is attached.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Like all security devices they are just a deterrent to make access more difficult or slower so hopefully in conjunction with other devices they are enough to put a thief off & perhaps choose someone else's!

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have Lock em Out and Fiamma window alarms fitted.
Nothing more than a little deterrent ......but both being quite visual, and one quite noisy,
it may stop the casual thief, who seeing these may move onto ANO target.

Oct 16, 2016
Birmingahm
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I have used "Lock M Out" for around 12 months, and purchased them as a deterrent in conjunction with the Cat 1 alarm and other security measures. I think for the time it takes me to fit and remove them it's something else to either slow down an entry and or deter it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I won't have a problem with the gas as our MH is not UK reg - but with so many of you at risk I imagine most of you have had to introduce this sort of measure to meet insurance requirements.

:dm:
Sorry for the funny rating but what are you saying? Non UK registered Moho's are less likely to be fictitiously gassed?
As regards gas, attacks, non UK and UK registered Moho's and motor cycles are equally at risk of silly stories. Even the insurance companies know the humour in that. If you do smell noxious gas in the night, change your partner.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What is this knock out gas you speak of?

You need to start reading the Daily Mail mate, especially in your line of work.

People have lost iPads, £2000 in cash and other stuff from this sort of thing.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You need to start reading the Daily Mail mate, especially in your line of work.

People have lost iPads, £2000 in cash and other stuff from this sort of thing.
Yes, Rolex watches, designer jewellery, designer clothes and trainers worth 1000's. Just the type of stuff that motorhomers take with them for a couple of weeks away.
Be careful, people will start hilarious threads again.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes, Rolex watches, designer jewellery, designer clothes and trainers worth 1000's. Just the type of stuff that motorhomers take with them for a couple of weeks away.

I doubt it.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Buy a 25 year old motorhome, I leave the doors unlocked, the tealeaves may get in and leave me something. ( I hope it's not a brown parcel though)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Your views please on whether these are worth it for more than just peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.
Go them fitted on all my windows except 1:)

I like them as it's another deterrent and effective security for me windows:)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Go them fitted on all my windows except 1:)

I like them as it's another deterrent and effective security for me windows:)
However, a hammer gets around that pretty quickly

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I lost my iphone7, my iPad, Apple Mac, 3 dogs, me girlfriend, my Audi R8, the yacht, £300,000 and my half eaten pizza:)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
However, a hammer gets around that pretty quickly
Sure does, so would a crowbar, 1/2lb Semtex, a main battle tank or an shoulder launched missile, however it keeps me happy to have em fitted. Most crooks can't probably read the words "Lock M Out" but I'm hoping, just hoping, that they'll see mine, think it's a deterrent and bugger off to someone else's motorhome.

Then they won't be able to pinch me Rolex again :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Thanks in advance.

We have them; they make it difficult to pry the locks so make a quiet entry more challenging. Worth it? Yes if it deters someone who wants to avoid breaking a window because of the noise. In a remote place or somewhere with lots of noise, the windows could be snappped open with or without them.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I considered them but was put off by the cost as I'd need 8 in my van

Instead I got Milenco window alarms that trigger if anyone tries to open the window and also have a flashing red led on them which I thought a better deterrent to a thief

Of course as stated above these things only help while you are sleeping to help alert you as when the vehicle is parked unattended they don't help much at all

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it amuses me that intelligent people are naive enough to think a piece of folded metal over a plastic catch will stop anyone getting in. the catches just snap off almost silently if you pull sharply on the bottom of the plastic window. the bigger the window the easier they are to open

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If you're not so bothered about the visual deterrent, 10 mins with a small drill and a few masonry nails will secure the catches. Simply drill through the (closed) catch then insert a nail - or some similar fine rod. Be careful not to make it too big or it weakens the catch.

For the visual deterrent we've stuck window alarms close by the catches. It won't stop a determined thief but might get them to try elsewhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back