Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Broken Link Removed

If this continues then I for one will be boycotting all their products in the UK .
It appears they didn't feel the need to cut their prices when the pound was strong !

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
It seems that Tesco considers that prices charged by their suppliers may only go in one direction - ask any farmer.

Lucky me - i bought my Marmite last week in England, shame it is for eating rather than buying and selling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Unilever! you either love them or hate them.:)
Another company blaming Brexit, and the value of the pound, even though marmite and other products are 100 per cent British made.
Did make me laugh, that Tesco are complaining about a multi national company pressurizing and upping their prices, even though they have a appalling record of squeezing the little producers.
The head of Tesco, came from Unilever, so he knows the margins and the games that they play.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
But isn't Unilever a Dutch company so any GBP profits are worth even less this week than last?

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Anglo Dutch.
But they don't need an excuse. If the pound recovers, will they drop the prices again? I don't think soo.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
One of the high st retailers (Next?) have said prices will have to rise due to the fall in the £ blamed in brexit.
The fall happened in the last few days and they are already suffering?
They are behaving like oil companies.
Just an excuse to screw the consumer.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
So they should subsidise our food? All companies need to make a profit otherwise they shut up shop.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The fall happened in the last few days and they are already suffering?

IIRC GBP began it's collapse the day after the Brexit vote - it has just headed a bit nearer the U-bend in the last few days.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Between 40 and 50% of our food is imported so that proportion is now 14% more expensive, someone has to pay for it and I doubt Unilever or Tesco will do so out of the goodness of their hearts.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
If we all start buying british they will have to put the price down as others have said there is no change when the pound is strong.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If we all start buying british they will have to put the price down as others have said there is no change when the pound is strong.
Did you buy British when you bought your Motorhome ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There must be some price increases.
I was shopping in Lakeside at Thurrock with the wife a couple of days ago and most of the goods in M&S , Primark , House of Frazer etc were produced in Bangladesh, India, China , Myanmar (Burma) , a few bits from Turkey .
In fact 95 % ish from the Far East outside Europe.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Between 40 and 50% of our food is imported so that proportion is now 14% more expensive, someone has to pay for it and I doubt Unilever or Tesco will do so out of the goodness of their hearts.
The point is that when it was 5% cheaper did Unilever drop its prices ? The answer is a big fat NO ! It's profiteering plain and simple .

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Hasn't price deflation been causing the supermarkets problems for the last couple of years ?
Competition has forced prices lower - this has in part been possible due to the strength of the pound.
Arguably Unilever et al have been passing the effects of a strong pound onto the consumer by lowering prices.
Now the pound's weakening they're adjusting prices accordingly - this time upwards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...r-drives-down-shop-prices-despite-the-fallin/

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
But isn't Unilever a Dutch company so any GBP profits are worth even less this week than last?

Unilever trade in Euros like many other companies .. this is why they either put up prices or absorb the losses in thier profit margins. Remember if profit margins suffer the shareholders will not be happy and the share prices will fall.

This whole episode is a load of cobblers. These things happen all the time but this for some reason has been picked up by a journalist on a no news day and taken off.

Boycott them ? Jeez you think that's going to affect a company that big ?

Is it down to brexit ? Well yes very likely and it's the thin end of the wedge as many things will rise in price if the pound remains weak. Everyone who voted for brexit will now start moaning but we were warned.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
The point is that when it was 5% cheaper did Unilever drop its prices ? The answer is a big fat NO ! It's profiteering plain and simple .

We have enjoyed historically low food prices for a number of years now, prices have to stabilise at some time, perhaps now is the time?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Is it down to brexit ? Well yes very likely and it's the thin end of the wedge as many things will rise in price if the pound remains weak. Everyone who voted for brexit will now start moaning but we were warned.

I voted with my eyes open and was fully aware that this could happen but decided that it was a price worth paying, so I won't be moaning.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Unilever trade in Euros like many other companies .. this is why they either put up prices or absorb the losses in thier profit margins. Remember if profit margins suffer the shareholders will not be happy and the share prices will fall.

This whole episode is a load of cobblers. These things happen all the time but this for some reason has been picked up by a journalist on a no news day and taken off.

Boycott them ? Jeez you think that's going to affect a company that big ?

Freedom from a dictatorial superstate is worth a temporary small price and currency fluctuation was inevitable until the dust settles.
It's all huff and puff especially from those that wanted to remain.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I wouldn't trust Tesco (or any other major supermarket for that matter) as far as I could spit. There are two sides to this story and Tesco are playing the media very well for their part.

There's never any mention of the practice's these supermarkets use to lock suppliers into trade terms (dutch auctions and the like) and clearly don't like it up-em when a supplier with the clout of Unilever put their foot down.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out moving forward but ultimately it'll be the consumer who pays for it!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But even English products are often made with imported raw materials and components
Not all of them which is what Tesco's point is.

These are just 2 examples of Unilever products made in the UK using UK raw materials.
Marmite is made from the waste product of the beer brewing industry.
Walls ice creams are made using dairy products from this country.

Tesco's point is that an across the board 10% hike in prices is just gouging. If they were to raise prices on products who price is affected by the currency devaluation and only to the value of the change they would have no problems with it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Here is a list of products that are no longer being delivered to Tesco.

Pot Noodle
PG Tips
Organics
Colman’s
Bovril
Viennetta
VO5
Vaseline
Surf
TIGI
Sunlight
Simple
Solero
St Ives
Stork
Persil
Marmite
Impulse
Jiff
Knorr
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
Cornetto
Carte D’Or
Ben & Jerry’s
Sure
Lipton
Lux
Magnum
Dove
Wall’s Ice-cream
Hellmann’s
Domestos
Lynx
Bertolli
Flora
Brut
Maille
Radox
Pond’s
Timotei
Elemlea
Lyons Tea

Only Colemans, Hellmans and Marmite are on that list that I buy so no loss to me.

I am sure there is another yellow mustard that is as good. I can certainly find an alternative mayonaise or I could make my own. Marmite is the only sticking point. Might have to buy a couple of Jars to stock up.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It's good that Tesco are taking a stand, but ultimately this is just the beginning. Prices are bound to increase for everything post brexit.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Here is a list of products that are no longer being delivered to Tesco.

None of these are essential so it matters not a jot whether you can buy them at Tesco or not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back