Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13yrs
Hello All, I am a brand new member and already I am looking for help. I have a 2005 Hymer B584 (smiley) and have just had an MOT failure because of the headlight beam directions. It has passed for the last 8 years but now the same garage has a new Tester and he will not pass it. The van is a LHD import. CAN ANYONE HELP ; do you have any solutions as to how to fix the problem please. From Brian.

countryman

Free Member
Apr 4, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Perhaps if you put some black tape on the lense just of center,it will deflect the beam,i am surprised the garage did not recomend this.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Have you got a hymer handbook. I think there are instructions in there for beam adjustment. There have been threads on here before but can't remember how to do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it's got the round hella lights they are adjustable for LH or RH, some are not easy to get at though so beam benders might be easier.

To adjust you need to remove a screw and slacken a couple of others and then turn the unit.

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The dipped units are adjustable for left and right hand driving. There are three self-tapping screws around the rim of the rear of the lamp housing. Slacken these then the housing should rotate a few degrees in the direction marked 'L' or 'R' on the rim. Be warned that the screws are a devil to access.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The dipped units are adjustable for left and right hand driving. There are three self-tapping screws around the rim of the rear of the lamp housing. Slacken these then the housing should rotate a few degrees in the direction marked 'L' or 'R' on the rim. Be warned that the screws are a devil to access.

As above but one screw needs to come right out, see the spare hole at the top of the attached photo.

image.png

Sorry couldn't find a back view.

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the info Funflair - perhaps that's why I have never been able to get mine to rotate; although I have not had much success in accessing the screw towards the bottom of the housing. I think it is obscured by the electric levelling adjuster.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wouldn't like to do them blind, our units come out once you take off the external surrounds which are held by two wing nuts inside, then its pretty easy, you do have to wind the other two screws a good way back as the light unit needs to lift off its seal to turn position.

Martin

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I leave the two hard to get too screws loose so only need to loosen the top screwand turn lamp holder and do one screw tight

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I adjusted mine but I removed the bumper so I could reach the screws from below its not so hard as it sounds but you take out the lock and loosen the others to rotate

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The are only adjustable between left hand kick up for LHD or flat dipping which is aceptable to both VCA and for MOT. Sorry Philip just being pedantec.
I didn't realize there should be screws involved. Mine turn freely by hand. I've no idea how I could get a screwdriver in there and position it on a screw.
Earlier models with the classic Hella units have the screws, the later Almond Eyes have the later Hella unit that just needs a lever moving.

OP
OP
B

Brian Hewitt

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13yrs
Hey you guys, what a response. Hopefully I will be able to get something sorted with all this advice. Many many thanks. Brian.

OP
OP
B

Brian Hewitt

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13yrs
Perhaps if you put some black tape on the lense just of center,it will deflect the beam,i am surprised the garage did not recomend this.
Hi Countryman, I am told that following a MOT ruling, you can no longer use deflectors during an MOT test. This is what my garage USED to do prior to this new(ish) ruling. Hey Ho. Brian.

countryman

Free Member
Apr 4, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Brian,had MOT a few weeks ago,headlamp deflectors were fitted and passed,so perhaps it is very a very recent ruling,Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
B

Brian Hewitt

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13yrs
Hi Brian,had MOT a few weeks ago,headlamp deflectors were fitted and passed,so perhaps it is very a very recent ruling,Thanks for the tip.
Hi Countryman, This ruling by MOTransport came in around4/5 years ago. I think you were very lucky to have your van passed and wished I was In your neck of the woods to use your garage. BH

OP
OP
B

Brian Hewitt

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13yrs
Hi Countryman, This ruling by MOTransport came in around4/5 years ago. I think you were very lucky to have your van passed and wished I was In your neck of the woods to use your garage. BH
Hi again, is your van a left hooker?. That is where my problem lies because the lights are set for driving on the right.. Just a thought. BH

countryman

Free Member
Apr 4, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Brian ,no my Hymer is a right hand drive,B754.Happy travels.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Countryman, I am told that following a MOT ruling, you can no longer use deflectors during an MOT test. This is what my garage USED to do prior to this new(ish) ruling. Hey Ho. Brian.
I've just had my Hymer MOT'ed and when I went to collect it the tester told me the lights kicked up at the side the wrong way, so he had put some tape on and passed it, he also said I could take tape off when I go and get the vano_O

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
For the past 5 years my vehicle has passed despite having deflector strips fitted

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
A link to the MOT Manual

Link Removed

Section 1.8 deals with headlamp aim. It says that tape on the headlamp is not a reason for rejection (with some conditions).

As far as I'm aware it's the latest version of the manual.

Mike

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Time to find a proper MOT place then ! One that is not just after making a few bob !! LOL !!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Had our MOT on 14th Oct with deflectors fitted, passed fine with no probs

Hymie.

OP
OP
B

Brian Hewitt

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13yrs
Hi to everyone on this damp shortest day of the year. I just wanted to wish everyone a very merry xmas and a happy travelling New Year from Jane and myself and Meila the red collie pup. Cheers All.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back