What have you seen at NEC that was bad (1 Viewer)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
The boss and me have ploughed around the show today and we both agree the upholstery on many vans was very poor many seats had no shape and the living area's cramped particularly in continental makes. Frankia took the prise for the worst. And whilst I hate to admit it Autotrail seemed the best buy. I will now wait for the flack to fly.:cry::love:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I much prefer the upholstery in some British vans compared with the continentals.......our Pilote compared to the previous Autosleeper a case in point. So impressed by the quality that we are seriously considering getting the Pilote recovered and re-cushioned in part

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
The boss and me have ploughed around the show today and we both agree the upholstery on many vans was very poor many seats had no shape and the living area's cramped particularly in continental makes. Frankia took the prise for the worst. And whilst I hate to admit it Autotrail seemed the best buy. I will now wait for the flack to fly.:cry::love:
Autotrails are a great designed van if only they learnt how to use sealant and designed them to withstand the UK weather, they really must be nuts especially with the warrenty claims they must have

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Love my Autotrail, had it 6 years now and it's been brilliant. Sure there were niggles, the odd screw that someone couldn't quite put in straight, but it's been awesome and I wouldn't be without it.

Think all motorhome makes have Monday morning models. Think the problem with most makes, is the seemingly lack of any kind of stage inspection at key and vital points, or that's my opinion, as I'm sure if a qualified fitter did do an inspection then lots of niggles would be put right at the point of manufacture.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Haven't gone to the show but have to agree on the living areas in nearly all modern vans are far too cramped I just don't get it. Looked at a new Hymer recently same problem and a Concorde same problem bloody silly little L shaped lounge with a huge table in a 8 metre van really!!. By the way both vans were approx £100k:eek::eek:
Our van is 14 years old now and so far superior to most modern builds I can't see us ever changing.:(:(

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
All the Trigano Group vehicles (Autotrail excluded as I have never looked inside one) seem to have pants upholstery. One of our esteemed monthlies described it as "low rent" and I totally agree. I have had 2 Chaussons and they both had cheap and nasty seating with shockingly poor covers, really letting down the rest of the good quality construction. Benimars and Roller Teams look like their seats and covers have come from a Pound shop and some other makes also seem to spoil their ships for a h'aporth of tar. Conversely I did sit on some luxurious bum perches today!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Will probably see a bad thing tomorrow at the NEC. The reaction depends on if he sees me first, though......... ;)

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Off to see them all on Sunday...will drop a note if there is something that really looks the part..

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Both our Chausson and Hymer seating fabrics are great. I think it depends on the fabric you choose. I must admit looking at some high end vans last year at the show the fabric was not great. You would think they would choose a really goid example to show.

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I agree with you.m
While many had thin cheap seats and the leather is beige. Beige, Beige! The quality of workmanship was rubbish! Loose sagging (just like me in the morning).
Haven't gone to the show but have to agree on the living areas in nearly all modern vans are far too cramped I just don't get it. Looked at a new Hymer recently same problem and a Concorde same problem bloody silly little L shaped lounge with a huge table in a 8 metre van really!!. By the way both vans were approx £100k:eek::eek:
Our van is 14 years old now and so far superior to most modern builds I can't see us ever changing.:(:(

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Autotrails are a great designed van if only they learnt how to use sealant and designed them to withstand the UK weather, they really must be nuts especially with the warrenty claims they must have
Could not agree more :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
20161011_111552.jpg
was very impressed with this 6m laika.
Well worth a look in.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Modern German vans where the entire living space is centred around a fancy swivelling table, everyone touching knees behind the passenger seat. Then the rest of the interior made so narrow only one person can move around at one time. Then have the temerity to charge over £100k. Nice big garage though :rolleyes: They can keep em. :)

Link Removed

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We thought the level of the finish in the AutoTrails was quite frankly appalling .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The best way to judge upholstery is to look at second hand models after 5 years. Many are starting to look rather 'sad'.
Big difference between Britain and the Continent is the weather. Continentals spend most of their time outside, because they can. We spend much more time inside, because we have to, so like more living space. Brit vans also have more mains appliances because there's less opportunity to wild camp here and campsites offer 16A.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Lounging space is what convinced us to buy our Hymer B544 earlier this year , two long sofas and front swivels in the a class cab , could seat eight and gives us lots of space to put our feet up.
This model I believe is no longer produced.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
REGAL there is a flyer in my pics if u look that tells u who and were they are .
£2300. That's with cushions n curtains n head bound . AND NEW FORM They do it in one day and u can stay with EHU .

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
View attachment 128683 View attachment 128680 View attachment 128681 View attachment 128682 View attachment 128680 We have just had our camper redone and are very happy with the survis we got at a very good price no saggy ness only me lol
I like the looks of this! Quality job! We had ours reupholstered at Toc fields near to Ripley and it also is a quality job! Stayed on their parking with electric and it cost about £2000 WILL OF Towtal was well impressed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Modern German vans where the entire living space is centred around a fancy swivelling table, everyone touching knees behind the passenger seat. Then the rest of the interior made so narrow only one person can move around at one time. Then have the temerity to charge over £100k. Nice big garage though :rolleyes: They can keep em. :)

Link Removed

My feelings exactly the pic says it all.
Not just German vans though pretty much all follow the same layout one way or another.

We thought we'd found a good upgrade / replacement with the Concorde but no such luck, the lounge area was virtually identical to your pic, no good to us.
Glad we spent money on the bathroom refurbishment looks like we'll have this one another 6 or 7 years.:)(y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Lounging space is what convinced us to buy our Hymer B544 earlier this year , two long sofas and front swivels in the a class cab , could seat eight and gives us lots of space to put our feet up.
This model I believe is no longer produced.

Absolutely agree that's the only van we'd consider swapping ours for. We're just not ready to downsize and give up the garage yet and still got 7 years left on license so may as well make the most of it.
To be honest with what's available now I'd seriously consider another RV but one of the new breed on the Sprinter chassis, even though I dislike Mercedes.:eek:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Link Removed
"Coachbuilt" at a guess Jim, at least an "A class" would push the front chairs a bit further away, but still a bit tight. Thankfully ours isn't that tight(y)

Martin

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006

Exactly that Jim. We bought an Adria Sonic. We wanted the fixed bed with a large garage. The fixed bed was a dream and the garage we just filled with all sorts of rubbish which we never used. The compromise of the large bed was a small continental style kitchen with hardly any work surfaces and a small lounge with a big table. So we downsized and ended up with more living area, although we do have to make the bed up every night. And why do manufacturers put cupboards over bathroom washbasins so you can't wash your face within smashing your head in.

Also got to agree with @Larrynwin, the Hymer 544 is a fantastic layout.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And why do manufacturers put cupboards over bathroom washbasins so you can't wash your face within smashing your head in.

So many time I look and think "whoever designed this has never spent a night in a MH, let alone a few weeks".

That should be the first part of the designer's training, go spend a month in this, then "take thus gun, shoot any advertising moron who interferes with your designs".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back