Re-importing a motor cycle (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
About 9 years ago we relocated our m/c to France and registered it there.

We now wish to bring it back to the UK and re-register it here.

We have looked at the DVLA website but can't find any help there.

Has anyone done similar in the recent past?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There shouldnt be an VAT to pay as its been paid.
Only the £100 fee and registration costs.
Dont know if its relevant but did you have to change the speedo to make KPH promenant when you registered it in France or are the outer numbers still MPH ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Good point ppj, my three wheeler piaggio was brand new and that has KPH prominent with MPH in a smaller case and inside circle. Is that not correct

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not really sure if it matters but it makes sense to have the units of country made prominent.
Worth looking into though, nowt worse than failing an SVA (if it needs one) for something so simple.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
No n
There shouldnt be an VAT to pay as its been paid.
Only the £100 fee and registration costs.
Dont know if its relevant but did you have to change the speedo to make KPH promenant when you registered it in France or are the outer numbers still MPH ?
No need to change to kph on importing to France as the speedo was dual reading and there is no requirement for " Contrôle Technique" (MOT) for motorcycles in France.:)

So the whole m/c is the same as when originally registered in U.K. I still have the original V5 document, well a photocopy anyway as the French Prefecture kept the original.(y)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
When I reimported a Bongo a few years back all I had to do was insure it against the VIN number, get an MOT and pay the tax. They gave me a tax disc and a chit to get number plates and the V5 came a few weeks later

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It should be easy as it was originally registered in the UK & you have the V5 copy . just make sure you keep a copy of the copy knowing what they are like.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If it was here to start with, then the original number will apply to it and they will put it back on the register. No taxes, and no problems .if you know the number and have original paperwork it will make it easier.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If it was here to start with, then the original number will apply to it and they will put it back on the register. No taxes, and no problems .if you know the number and have original paperwork it will make it easier.

When I re-imported the Bongo no paperwork was needed just the VIN number. They then issued the old registration number in return for the normal road tax. One thing to watch out for is de-registering in France the DVLA automatic system does not work and it took us a year to finally get a letter telling us the substantial fine had been cancelled

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
reapply for the V5 as "lost" and just mot insure and retax it
It worked for my landy after 15years in Australia
I didnt have to do the first step as still had original V5 issued to me in 1986

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Should have looked at date on first post , probably needing an engine rebuild by now
Holy Thread resurrection Batman:groan:

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
for anyone still interested in this thread we decided to advertise the motorbike in France, for sale.

Using a website, "Le Bon Coin", we advertised it at a low price for its mileage. It was 13 yrs old but had only been used in conjunction with our motorhome, so mileage was low. We explained this in the advert and included several photos showing it's excellent condition.

We had seven responses within 24 hours and it was sold, at its advertised price, to the first viewer. Then the entertainment began.

The buyer contacted us at three o'clock saying they would like to see it and, if a deal could be done, the would take it away that evening. They lived 80 kms away and would come with a van.

We had never sold a vehicle in France before and had no idea of the procedure. A quick look online identified a form, in triplicate, to download. One copy for buyer, one for the seller and one for the local Police Prefecture. We had no access to a printer! A quick trip to the local library, a small fee, and we had our forms printed out.

We found it was also necessary to provide the buyer with an official report showing there was no HP. etc. outstanding. A fee of under 3 euros and a further printout later we were equipped. A rush in the two hours we had available.

All went smoothly and we have avoided the problems of transporting the bike back to UK with the attendant complication of re-registering it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back