NORWAY - WHAT A LOT OF MHs ABOUT! (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I'm currently in Norway at Geiranger with a tour party and am staggered at the number of MHs around and here in particular. At a rough guess, one in four vehicles on the road is a MH. They are all shapes, makes, nationalities and sizes and cram into any available space and camp site. I have noticed roadside service points for MHs so they must be welcome! I feel my tyres itching to come touring here - and then I realise how far it is from deepest Dorset and how shockingly expensive it is here - £9++ for a large beer, £15 for a pizza, £36 for a cheap bottle of wine..........It's been a pretty dry week for me so far!!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We stayed there, in the camp site on the shore of the Fijord
Norway is a great place for Motorhomes
Only problem is the distance getting there

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Norway's beautiful, not been there in the MH (yet), but have been on a motorbike.

I don't remember seeing many vehicles of any description! We'd often travel for a couple of hours before we came across a car.

Ferry from Hull cuts the journey to get there down nicely, I presume it still runs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
(n) That's a pain.

Actually, it was Newcastle, not Hull - memory going! Not much help if it's no longer sailing though.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Correct - there are currently NO ferries from the UK to any part of Scandinavia, the best you can do is either Newcastle/Amsterdam or Hull/Rotterdam.

And yes, it is a b****y long drive - but worth it when you get there. Came back a few weeks ago and agree about the number of M/Hs.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
also Ferry from Harwich - Hook of Holland.. but even with Harwich on our doorstep, the driving distance saved is hardly worth it..

yes, it's a very long drive.. Just to get to say Stavanger is over 1,000 miles from where we live in Suffolk ..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are planning our next year trip to Norway, 1000 miles will get us well into Norway, about the same as Barcelona for us, the miles will be as ever part of the holiday. looking forward to the ridge from Denmark to Sweden

Just deciding whether to go up via Sweden first then meander back down the Norwegian coast or vice versa

It is a long way up though, not checked recently but even from Tromso which is above the arctic circle I think it is still 500 miles to Nord Kapp, I think we are 1500 miles from Tromso in Derbyshire via the tunnel, not a trip to try in a fortnight (y)

edit just checked it is over 2200 miles to Tromso, but only another 250 to Nordkapp

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I'm staggered how big Norway is. In Trondheim I was told that if you measured the length of Norway from Trondheim across Europe, you would end up in Sicily.... Heck, that's a long way!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
we are planning our next year trip to Norway, 1000 miles will get us well into Norway, about the same as Barcelona for us, the miles will be as ever part of the holiday. looking forward to the ridge from Denmark to Sweden

Just deciding whether to go up via Sweden first then meander back down the Norwegian coast or vice versa

We got back about 4 weeks ago.As recommended to us, and we agree, we travelled Calais then Belgium, Holland, Germany, ferry to Denmark. Bridge (very expensive but the alternative is just as bad) to Sweden (Malmo) then north along the Baltic coast. We side-tracked into Finland to Rovaniami to see Father Christmas (yes really!) then north into Norway and up to Nordkap. We returned south through Norway but due to mechanical problems we missed out on a lot of the coast, returning to Sweden via Oslo then back more or less the same way as out.

Our total mileage, including from home in Newcastle to Folkestone & return, was just short of 6000 miles, which we completed in just under 6 weeks. Too much driving, you really need longer but we had the aforesaid problems so cut it short a bit.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Its on the todo list, every pic I've ever seen of Norway makes me want to be there(y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're planning to go to Norway next summer also but we're starting by driving from Spain to Poland to do our postponed mountain trek there. We're then taking the ferry from Poland to Sweden and travelling, via an orienteering competition, to Norway, where we have no set route planned yet. We expect to have a couple of months there.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Been to Norway a few times but not in the motorhome, agree very expensive, lunch for four was just over £100 in Stavanger. Fantastic place though, having hiked over two hours I finally reached the top and had lunch dangling my feet over the edge of Pulpit Rock.
upload_2016-10-11_8-5-34.png

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I looked up at Pulpit Rock from a trip boat in the fjord below and my god it's high! I can feel a tingle of vertigo now just thinking about it. Anyone who dangles their legs over the side must be totally mad!!!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Its on the todo list, every pic I've ever seen of Norway makes me want to be there(y)
Used to run our business there.... Bergen and pretty well anywhere on the west coast is utterly miserable in the winter, but beautiful when the sun is out. The East coast (yes, there is one) and Oslo is nice as well. Prices are horrifying, though and customs are strict about alcohol; even on a Swiss salary, my employers paid subsistence :eek:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Been to Norway a few times but not in the motorhome, agree very expensive, lunch for four was just over £100 in Stavanger. Fantastic place though, having hiked over two hours I finally reached the top and had lunch dangling my feet over the edge of Pulpit Rock. View attachment 128538
ill be back over there for a couple of weeks , sadly not in the van...
like this you mean lol..
i promise they are my legs:LOL:
P1000333.JPG

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
When I went in May/June this year it was OK MH wise, would not want to go during August though, too busy. Lofoten islands are a 'must see'!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We leave for the Scandinavian trip in late April 2017 intend going as far north as we can planning on a three month trip all being well,really looking forward to it after winter in Spain and Portugal.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We leave for the Scandinavian trip in late April 2017 intend going as far north as we can planning on a three month trip all being well,really looking forward to it after winter in Spain and Portugal.
The last true areas of European wilderness are up north......make sure you have a spare tyre (y)

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
It's a country that really interests me. Can't wait till we decide to spend a good few months travelling there. I think the reason why there are so many MH's there has been covered above. It's so damned expensive.. A MH give's you the ability to tour at a reasonable cost, considering the alternatives.. The last time I was there was on a boat in the Fjords, and at the time I imagined what it must be like to drive...

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
It's a country that really interests me. Can't wait till we decide to spend a good few months travelling there. I think the reason why there are so many MH's there has been covered above. It's so damned expensive.. A MH give's you the ability to tour at a reasonable cost, considering the alternatives.. The last time I was there was on a boat in the Fjords, and at the time I imagined what it must be like to drive...
One of the reasons there is so many MH's is that The Norwegians love motorhomes, the bigger and more unsuitable for their roads the better!!! (And of course a huge garage for their Swedish obtained booze) So you already have a huge indeginous number of permanent MH's there plus the Swedes and to some extent the Finn's. Add to that the Morocco-less French and the fritzes and you have a big MH carpark!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Oh we do and a compressor and the crap repair kit provided by Hymer(y)
I would recommend a couple of spare wiper blades also......

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had a week in December in Norway last year. A two venue week staying with friends in their Bergen apartment and their ski cabin. There's a thread on here documenting it. When it rained in Bergen, it rained. But we didn't expect anything else in December, except maybe snow, which we got at the cabin.

A fantastic week!

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi speve, in joy the best that Scandinavia offers regards AlfandM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back