To be secure Or not to be secure (1 Viewer)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I was just out at the MH and was locking her up , and the last step was to lock the Fiamma door lock
http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-S...aravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Safe-Door-Frame
thats when it hit me that i remembered ages ago reading a thread about ( trying to think how to word this without educating no scumbag thieves )
anyways it was an article on how to open bike locks where the lock barrels looked similar to these and with just using a "something that you need when smoking" :D and "something that you need when writing a letter" :D you can open them in a few secs.
i'm sure those of you's familiar with the locks will know exactly what i am trying to say...
WELL yes getting to the point,, can such methods be used to open this lock ? or is it secure "to a certain extent" as i know nothing is secure..

20161010_195508_resized.jpg20161010_195502_resized.jpg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I was just out at the MH and was locking her up , and the last step was to lock the Fiamma door lock
http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-S...aravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Safe-Door-Frame
thats when it hit me that i remembered ages ago reading a thread about ( trying to think how to word this without educating no scumbag thieves )
anyways it was an article on how to open bike locks where the lock barrels looked similar to these and with just using a "something that you need when smoking" :D and "something that you need when writing a letter" :D you can open them in a few secs.
i'm sure those of you's familiar with the locks will know exactly what i am trying to say...
WELL yes getting to the point,, can such methods be used to open this lock ? or is it secure "to a certain extent" as i know nothing is secure..

View attachment 128511View attachment 128510

Apparently they are easy to unlock. YouTube has several videos showing how it can be done.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Bike lock companies have stopped using those lock designs as they are too easy to pick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
so just to be clear , the same method can be used on the fiamma door lock ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
if wtf can i change said lock for as the two holes will be left in the MH if i replaced it...... :)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

You could try it yourself ... just don't get caught!! :oops::eek::rolleyes:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Not certain about Fiamma but the lock design is not as secure as you would like to think.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My thoughts on these type of security devices apart from being easy to unlock is that they are an advertisement to the scroats that your not in your Moho.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
My thoughts on these type of security devices apart from being easy to unlock is that they are an advertisement to the scroats that your not in your Moho.
unless you pull down your blinds every time you leave the MH then people will always know if you are in or out.
now that is yet another question that will warrant its own thread. :)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
unless you pull down your blinds every time you leave the MH then people will always know if you are in or out.

I suppose the trick is to keep them guessing, like lights that come on in an empty house ...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I rarely ever raise mine.:giggle:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We do when we're going out for any length of time but we have a very good and very loud alarm fitted by that cider drinking geezer from Taunton @eddievanbitz

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
All locks are only a deterrent, you could change them but they can still be defeated. If security concerns you then fit an alarm, which is just another deterrent. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A few years ago we returned to our motorhome and found that the battery in the alarm remote was flat and would not disarm.

We had a spare fob hidden in the m/h so just opened the door setting off the alarm while we retrieved it. Unfortunately we couldn't remember exactly where we had put it and had to search through several cupboards in order to find it.

The alarm must have been operating for at least five minutes, with two people obviously going through cupboards inside, and no-one took a blind bit of notice!

The car park was busy at the time, too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A few years ago we returned to our motorhome and found that the battery in the alarm remote was flat and would not disarm.

We had a spare fob hidden in the m/h so just opened the door setting off the alarm while we retrieved it. Unfortunately we couldn't remember exactly where we had put it and had to search through several cupboards in order to find it.

The alarm must have been operating for at least five minutes, with two people obviously going through cupboards inside, and no-one took a blind bit of notice!

The car park was busy at the time, too.
That's a very typical response to alarms. :) Having an internal siren will discomfit a potential thief unless they brought ear defenders. There are at least a couple of suppliers who use them.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have a dog. He's only small but can make a real racket, especially when someone approaches the van.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have a dog. He's only small but can make a real racket, especially when someone approaches the van.
We also have a dog. When we go out we leave her water and food dish outside the m/h door.

Don't know if it does any good or not but, if it makes a potential thief think again it's a good, low price, deterrent.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I opened one in 10 seconds for a mate who could not get into the motorhome . I have them fitted they look good lol

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As previously posted the windows are the weak spot, I just tried to open a window on our van, 10secs is about right.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We also have a dog. When we go out we leave her water and food dish outside the m/h door.

Don't know if it does any good or not but, if it makes a potential thief think again it's a good, low price, deterrent.
Trouble with doing that is they either think you are cruel to the dog cause you've left his food and water outside or they think ah they've gone out and taken dog with em as food and waters outside.
You can make your own conclusions to that(y)(y)(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Trouble with doing that is they either think you are cruel to the dog cause you've left his food and water outside or they think ah they've gone out and taken dog with em as food and waters outside.
You can make your own conclusions to that(y)(y)(y)
As they say, "you pays yer money and yer meks yer choice":cool:

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I opened one in 10 seconds for a mate who could not get into the motorhome . I have them fitted they look good lol
I tried today on my own mh door for about 3-5 mins and failed ,, guess i'm just not skilled enough :D :D

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
newish member here,question ,whats a growler? we have a shih tzu dog is that one?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back