Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We use a combination locking cable. It's convenient but I imagine that it wouldn't take much to cut it so I'll be watching this thread for ideas.
Out bikes are old and unfashionable so that might be provide better protection than our lock.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't take our bikes away with the MH but at home I use Liteloks. There's no reason why they couldn't be used to secure bikes to a rack.

It doesn't matter what you use really but if you're worried about it or the bikes are valuable then make sure whatever locks you end up with have Sold Secure Gold rating. That's about as good as you can get for bike locks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I'm afraid no lock is totally secure so I work on two principals:
A the more the merrier.
B lock your bike next to someone who has fewer locks
So, I use a heavyish cable lock AND a knog ulock AND a folding lock from Aldi. Any thief has to have a range of tools and plenty of time.
Mind you... so do I!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having a Growler Motorhome alarm helps too, as it has an exterior loop which you can thread through bikes or other outdoor stuff to protect it.
The problem with many bike racks is that they ars made of Aluminium, which is easy to cut through.
A possible solution to this is to thread a long chain or wire lock underneath the van and through the chassis.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Bear in mind some insurance companies do not cover bikes that are outside of your vehicle and that bike locks are only as good as the thing that they are locked too - aluminium racks are easier to cut than even decent locks, which can be picked in less than 2 mins.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
- Cable locks (key-operated)
- Growler alarm loop
- Motorcycle-type heavy duty chain and key-operated lock if leaving for any length of time in what we would regard as a medium- to high-risk area.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I used to put a half inch link chain through both crank and frame and a good quality padlock and then loop it round the tow bar and make sure padlock was visible when bikes were covered up.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Each bike is locked to the rack with a gold rated Sold Secure D-lock and a heavy duty steel cable then is looped around the front wheels as well topped off with my Strikeback alarm accessory loop around finally a bike cover over the top !!

Nothing is unstealable but mine are a lot more hassle to steal than most, the downside is they take longer to get down and use!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nothing is unstealable but mine are a lot more hassle to steal than most

Doing what you can to ensure that if anyone really wants to steal it they aren't going to be doing it quickly or quietly is about all you can do really.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Terry had a brilliant lock that was originally used for a motorbike ... top quality and unlikely to be cut by metal cutters.. Don't know if he still has it for sale.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At home I use an Oxford revolver motorbike lock.
It's a high tensile steel rope surrounded by steel rollers (to prevent hacksawing) and steel wire braiding finished with a plastic sheath.
It's long enough to go through the back wheel (electric motor), the battery carry handle, the frame and a lamp post etc.
Enough to deter all but the most determined opportunist thief.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It's a high tensile steel rope with stainless outer braiding and a plastic sheath.
It's long enough to go through the back wheel (electric motor), the battery carry handle, the frame and a lamp post etc.

I'm not sure if that is also the type that @Terry has for sale too.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It's a high tensile steel rope surrounded by steel rollers (to prevent hacksawing) and steel wire braiding finished with a plastic sheath.

Not good reviews on Amazon papa.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back