Christmas markets Northern France of Belgium (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our daughter and son in law will be coming over from the USA to stay with us this Christmas.

We were thinking of taking them in the motorhome to visit a Christmas market maybe on 19, 20 or 21 December. Are they still going that near Christmas? If so can anybody recommend one that we could go to with a Aire with electrics nearby. We could go as far as Brugge but not sure if they have a Christmas market

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The one in Brugge is not the best IMO
Just a few stalls selling the normal crap.
But Brugge is a very nice place to visit.
But I will still go this year as my daughter lives there.
+ its only 20km for me to drive:)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Its only my opinion
A lot of British come over for it.
I have not been t any in France.
I hink they are better in Germany but thats maybe a little too far

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There are 3 Christmas markets in Bruges. We only managed to find 2 of them. The atmosphere is fantastic, the sets are great (like the lid of an old tin of quality street, ice skaters on a backdrop of snow) but it's not good for Christmas shopping. I bought polar bears for our tree.
IMG_0410.PNG

Last edited:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
@chaser may be able to tell you about the market at Gravelines which he says is a good one but I don't think you'll get electric. But you could visit this one on a day trip. We enjoyed Bruges markets.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know if that link works but that was gravelines two years ago, they have snow and animals and log fires , the lot not just stalls selling tat , so removed itdidn't work

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I might add, that's only one small corner of it, and no you are right afraid there is no hookup

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Ypres apparently has one and improving over the years.
Not too far to go and if the market is rubbish, the town is magic and probably magicer at Christmas.
I might just pop over there myself and give it a try.

A number of places close by power with ehu.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If you can drive a little further Aachen, just into Germany, has an excellent Christmas market. There is a stellplatz - it doubles as a car/coach park (but plenty of room, especially mid-week) within walking distance, although I don't think you can get hookup (do you really need it for a couple of days?)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we went to Amiens a few years back, fairly typical continental Christmas market, loads of wooden sheds along most of the streets, some selling tat, some doing home made expensive stuff

but what we really liked, they illuminate the cathedral in a truly amazing way every night, you really need to see it to get the full effect,

Link Removed

cant help with the aire options as we stayed in a hotel, but I am sure they must have one or more, especially with this event on

tempted to go back myself, I was gob smacked, the stone walls appear to be painted all from a light projection that defies logic it is so detailed (y):)

edit - just reading my own link, the lights only seem to be on in summer, I know it was Christmas when we saw them is - something and kin cold watching, sorry about that, but I will read further it might just be lit up rather than the full show at Christmas

double edit - just a bit further, it is on from 1st December till 1st Jan (y)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ypres apparently has one and improving over the years.
Not too far to go and if the market is rubbish, the town is magic and probably magicer at Christmas.
I might just pop over there myself and give it a try.

A number of places close by power with ehu.
Ypres is indeed well worth a visit any time of the year but when we went two years ago the market was a big disappointment, a skating rink and a few tat stalls and that was the lot.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Brugge is quite good, the Aire is next to the train station so you could get a train to Brussels for the day and they have quite a large market. For something smaller and more locally authentic we like Gravelines. Easy parking at the Aire and less than 5 minutes walk to the market.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
you could do Brugge great then Ypres them visit gravelines on way home in a few days be a nice little trip for the son in law

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back