Advice needed on type of gas for long European trips (1 Viewer)

PeeAndDee

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 740
Exp
3 months
Hi

We gave had our motorhome since June and we are only doing short holidays in the UK this year but in 2017 we are planning a 2 month holiday in Spain and France in March and April followed by another 2 month holiday in June and July to Scandinavia.

Our van gas 2 6kg Calor gas bottles which are fine for the UK but we have heard that Calor gas is not available in Europe, I know that everybody uses gas at a different rate but would be interested in hearing the thoughts of experienced travellers for our trips next year.

Do you think that 2 6kg Calor gas bottles will last us for 8 to 10 weeks or should we look at changing to refillable LPG bottles although I gave read various stories that less sites where you can refill LPG bottles are getting less and less.

Any advice on the various gas systems would be greatly appreciated.

Peter & Dot

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Definitely refillable.
For long trips you will need to swop bottles which will mean different fittings/regulators and the need to store the empty ones safely, unless you just write them off.
Fit Gaslow or similar and just top up as you go along. The initial cost is high but you will save as you use gas, plus there is no waste as you won't replace bottles with gas still in them and no lugging heavy bottles in and out.

Richard.

OP
OP
P

PeeAndDee

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 740
Exp
3 months
Definitely refillable.
For long trips you will need to swop bottles which will mean different fittings/regulators and the need to store the empty ones safely, unless you just write them off.
Fit Gaslow or similar and just top up as you go along. The initial cost is high but you will save as you use gas, plus there is no waste as you won't replace bottles with gas still in them and no lugging heavy bottles in and out.

Richard.
Hi
Thanks for the advice, I assume by your comment that you use refillable bottles, do you have any difficulty in finding sites to refill either in the UK or in Europe?
Also can you recommend any installers in the north of England/Cumbria for the refillable systems, I really think I would prefer to use an expert when it comes to gas systems.
Thanks again
Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Refillable every time.
Use an app such as LPG.eu
Can't help with a fitter in your area but rhino installs do a mobile service

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi
Thanks for the advice, I assume by your comment that you use refillable bottles, do you have any difficulty in finding sites to refill either in the UK or in Europe?
Also can you recommend any installers in the north of England/Cumbria for the refillable systems, I really think I would prefer to use an expert when it comes to gas systems.
Thanks again
Peter

Yes Peter, we have had Gaslow system fitted to our last two vans and have never had a problem filling here or in France and Portugal (the only countries we have needed to refill). Best advice seems to be to fit the filler on the exterior of the van rather than having to open a locker to get at it.

I think any competent motorhome workshop can fit Gaslow, not sure about Alugas or any other systems.
You could also look at underslung gas tanks, depending on space and layout of your van. That might free up a useful locker for extra storage space.

I'm sure others who live further north than us can advise on fitters in your parts.

Richard.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Try Autogas 2000, they are at thirsk north Yorkshire.look on their website.I am having bottles fitted Wed.

Sep 29, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
2016 Hymer, Adria
Another vote for Autogas 2000 in Thirsk. Good people and
did a good job fitting 2 11 kg bottles for us. They advertise on Fun...
see a bit higher up this page.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have two Gaslow fitted .
Never had a problem filling them over here.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
2 6kg calors are not going to last you 2 months, unless you rarely cook and always use main electrics. We have refillable - bought from Gasit and fitted myself We have filled successfully in UK, France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. Had one problem in northern Italy on a motorway filling station when they refused to fill for "cooking" because they said it was "illegal in Italy". But after that just went to other places in Italy and they were happy to do so. One asked "engine" and I just said "yes", the rest didn't even bother asking.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have a single 11kg Alugas cylinder. On our 4 week trip to France recently (all of september) we used 16 litres. No heating and on electric about 40 % of the time. We have 260W of solar also. Sounds like you will get through more than two cylinders worth.

Another recommend for Autogas who supplied the kit. You get Funster discount too.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Refillable without question - 2 x 6kg bottles definitely won't last. No problems refilling in Europe although Scandinavia is a bit mixed - you can get it but may need to plan a little. MyLPG.eu shows all the locations and we managed 6 weeks fine.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
I have 2 x 6kg Gaslow and have never had any trouble refilling. It is my practice to refill as soon as possible after the first cylinder is empty. I was in Norway for five weeks a few years ago and although not so common as in France I had no trouble in finding LPG suppliers. I think changing to refillable cylinders was one of my better buys.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You will need some adaptors to attach your filling point to the different filling hoses in different countries. These adaptors are small and easy to use - just screw one in, attach the hose, fill, then remove hose and unscrew adaptor. The difficulty is keeping them where you can find them when needed.

I got mine from Gas-it. They do a set in a bright yellow bag. I have four, one for UK, one for France/Germany/etc, one for Spain, and one for older hose fillers in UK/Europe. I don't know about Scandinavia yet, maybe others can advise. I'm going to Scandinavia soon, but won't be there long enough to need to fill my 60 litre tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back