Ever experienced anything like this? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Our friends are on the Camping & Caravan Club rally at Bolton Abbey, North Yorks and as it's near to us, we thought we'd catch up with them for an hour and have a brew. Armed with buns & cakes, we followed the directions and found the rally field at the rear of the Bolton Abbey main car park with access through a gate into the rally field from this car park.

Turning off the main road into the car park, there's a car park booth/shed like you find at most National Trust/Stately Home type venues.
We were greeted by the frosty lady who said '£8.00 please'.

I said, 'We're here to meet with friends on the Camping & Caravan Club rally in the field over there'

'That will be £8 please' was her reply.

'No, I don't want to park in the main car park or visit the Abbey, I'm visiting some friends in the rally field and will park next to their van'.

'It's £8 to enter' came the reply.

'But it's 3 o'clock and I'm only planning on staying an hour and I'm not even parking in your car park. I'm not paying eight quid to park up in a field'.

'Well you're not coming in then'

By this time, our friends had realised we had arrived and phoned to say where their van was. I told them that unless we paid £8 to transit through the car park - which I was refusing to, that we couldn't come in.

By this stage, another car had pulled up to queue behind us.
The frosty cow in her bubble booth told us to either pay and that we couldn't stop where we was.

I asked 'can I park over there in one of the many vacant spaces whilst my friend came and collected some cakes from us?'

'Yes, if you pay £8'

'I'm not paying £8 to deliver some buns'

'Well you'll have to go park on the road then' (double yellow lines)

I phoned our friends and told them that we couldn't even wait whilst they walked the 100 metres to us to collect the cakes we'd bought them.
We ended up leaving.
Fortunately, we managed to find somewhere to park and walked 20mins back to where the rally field was.
The air was blue when we walked passed Miss Frosty knickers but as we had our toddler with us, (who's taken to repeating everything) we just glared as we passed.

Our friends paid £9 for 3 days in the rally field with C&CC.
Bolton Abbey Estates wanted to charge £8 to park for an hour or £8 to deliver some cakes or £8 to transit their car park to gain access to the rally field.

I appreciate that car parking is a good source of income to such places but talk about an unhelpful and inflexible approach to customer service.
I'm not tight, but I refuse to be ripped off.
Don't think we'll be heading back. Still feeling pi**ed off about this.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I would put that down to her being a jobsworth. Got your friends to look after your toddler then gone over to give her a piece of your mind....... The piece you keep in the knuckles of your right hand ;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
so if you had been in your MH on your way to the rally would she just have waved you past?

or did they have a different way in? that would at least then make some sense (y)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We live in a 100% rip off society where it seems pretty much everyone tries to screw every last penny they can from any opportunity that comes their way. When was the last time a tradesman gave you a proper quote for a job based on the hours he would take and the materials he would use? Everyone I have dealt with (except friends) in the last few years simply thinks of the highest number he would like to get away with and bugger honesty and reasonableness. I had my fascias replaced a few months back, and asked a very nice local chap who had done my neighbours house a few weeks before to quote. He quoted exactly double for the same job on the same type of house as he didn't know I knew how much my neighbour had paid. He just looked at the new Carthago in the drive and thought this guy looks reasonably well off, how much can I screw him for? Local Authorities are all at it as well. Evesham doubled their car parking charges when there was a big fishing festival in town a few weeks ago, and I paid £3 for a paper cup of hot coffee coloured water which I threw away in disgust. It's such a pleasure to spend time in France where things seem a little more in control, unlike here where a reasonable price for a reasonable job or service seems to be an unknown phrase for many. Rant over, but I could go on, it's a subject I feel strongly about.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
so if you had been in your MH on your way to the rally would she just have waved you past?

or did they have a different way in? that would at least then make some sense (y)
I asked my friend how they got into the rally field and he confirmed it was via the car park - one way in and same way out.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I am currently having a pair of heavy rusty metal gates replaced by new on our very old french house.I need two enormous oak posts putting on to the stone first to,support the gates.
The guy doing this has a siret number so all legal.
He arrives on time,has his cuppa,works for a while and then stops for a smoke and chat to the Mrs. On the phone,not once but loads of times a day.We agreed a day work rate at the beginning as he is a good worker normally.I certainly shall not do that again.
We have been ripped of loads of times recently in different ways,not good.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I would write to the coo of chatsworth settlement trustees and leave a poor review on trip advisor.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I would put that down to her being a jobsworth. Got your friends to look after your toddler then gone over to give her a piece of your mind....... The piece you keep in the knuckles of your right hand ;):LOL::LOL::LOL:
frowned_1024x1024.jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It wasn't the Estste that was being unreasonable and inflexible, it was the lady in question. Could you have simply just driven past her a short way to avoid stopping others entry then gone to her and told her to get a supervisor who could have perhaps been more flexible.

Have you written a letter of complaint setting out what happened. If not, you should, she needs some management advice.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Not excusing it, but by 3pm she could already have spent a few hours taking dog's abuse from many of the people she was relieving of £8 for parking.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
If she was looking after my car park she would get a medal
Interesting post complaining about folk who do a good job and those that dont
How does that work ?

Geo, are you?
ManUtd-1-1.jpg~c200

Reactions: Geo
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You should have driven past and ignored her,,,,BUSBY,,

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If she was looking after my car park she would get a medal
Interesting post complaining about folk who do a good job and those that dont
How does that work ?
How do you make that out?
Do you think that the lady in question was being reasonable in not allowing someone to transit a car park to get to a rally field or even wait two minutes whilst someone collected something?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I can answer if you tell me
Are you questioning the principle or the cost
G

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As a representative of Bolton Abbey I would have thought that being totally inflexible, refusing to accede to a perfectly reasonable request and displaying a severe lack of common sense or good will could hardly be described as doing a good job. Its not as if the OP was wishing to park, he was simply wishing access to a rally field with is a completely different thing, and he says he had explained his intentions. If I were her supervisor I would be concerned she was presenting the wrong image, one which I would see as hardly likely to foster good public relations. I would also be concerned because I prefer public facing employees to have a sense of humour, and to be welcoming and helpful to those they encounter.

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Its not as if the OP was wishing to park, he was simply wishing access to a rally field with is a completely different thing, and he says he had explained his intentions.
... and she's supposed to believe him because...???
Doubtless everybody at the rally had some documentation to prove this was the case.
I wonder how many people with no connection with the rally, given the chance, would simply drive into the rally field to AVOID paying in the car park?
She has a job to do; she does it.
Rip-off Britain goes two ways - suppliers and consumers.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
ddac157ab71321551a2ee7defe1252e3.jpg
How do you make that out?
Do you think that the lady in question was being reasonable in not allowing someone to transit a car park to get to a rally field or even wait two minutes whilst someone collected something?
In all fairness, some people's 2 minutes end up being several hours. There may have been a previous situation where someone was allowed in and the money taker was hauled over the coals. Admittedly, there is no excuse to be rude or even terse but I remember a post on here where someone slated a CC warden and many followed and calling for his head on a salver but after the warden replied on here and explained the situation fully, there was a complete change of attitude towards the warden.
There's always 2 sides to every story so let's not be too hasty to judge and be totally biased against. We only know one side.
images (8).jpg

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Car park audit Spot check 50 cars at £8 =£400
Cash in bag £392
Oh! him? I just let him in for free because??????????? half hr LATER YOUR STILL WAITING!!!!!
Every good turns bites you in the a**e

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Our friends are on the Camping & Caravan Club rally at Bolton Abbey, North Yorks and as it's near to us, we thought we'd catch up with them for an hour and have a brew. Armed with buns & cakes, we followed the directions and found the rally field at the rear of the Bolton Abbey main car park with access through a gate into the rally field from this car park.

Turning off the main road into the car park, there's a car park booth/shed like you find at most National Trust/Stately Home type venues.
We were greeted by the frosty lady who said '£8.00 please'.

I said, 'We're here to meet with friends on the Camping & Caravan Club rally in the field over there'

'That will be £8 please' was her reply.

'No, I don't want to park in the main car park or visit the Abbey, I'm visiting some friends in the rally field and will park next to their van'.

'It's £8 to enter' came the reply.

'But it's 3 o'clock and I'm only planning on staying an hour and I'm not even parking in your car park. I'm not paying eight quid to park up in a field'.

'Well you're not coming in then'

By this time, our friends had realised we had arrived and phoned to say where their van was. I told them that unless we paid £8 to transit through the car park - which I was refusing to, that we couldn't come in.

By this stage, another car had pulled up to queue behind us.
The frosty cow in her bubble booth told us to either pay and that we couldn't stop where we was.

I asked 'can I park over there in one of the many vacant spaces whilst my friend came and collected some cakes from us?'

'Yes, if you pay £8'

'I'm not paying £8 to deliver some buns'

'Well you'll have to go park on the road then' (double yellow lines)

I phoned our friends and told them that we couldn't even wait whilst they walked the 100 metres to us to collect the cakes we'd bought them.
We ended up leaving.
Fortunately, we managed to find somewhere to park and walked 20mins back to where the rally field was.
The air was blue when we walked passed Miss Frosty knickers but as we had our toddler with us, (who's taken to repeating everything) we just glared as we passed.

Our friends paid £9 for 3 days in the rally field with C&CC.
Bolton Abbey Estates wanted to charge £8 to park for an hour or £8 to deliver some cakes or £8 to transit their car park to gain access to the rally field.

I appreciate that car parking is a good source of income to such places but talk about an unhelpful and inflexible approach to customer service.
I'm not tight, but I refuse to be ripped off.
Don't think we'll be heading back. Still feeling pi**ed off about this.

What customer service??? She should have stayed at home that day and let someone else do her job? Silly mare could have charged you £1 for the hour which would still have been extortionate instead she got nothing for the Estate except bad publicity!

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
... and she's supposed to believe him because...???
Doubtless everybody at the rally had some documentation to prove this was the case.
I wonder how many people with no connection with the rally, given the chance, would simply drive into the rally field to AVOID paying in the car park?
She has a job to do; she does it.
Rip-off Britain goes two ways - suppliers and consumers.

Why shouldn't she believe him, its not her job to assume everyone is lying and dishonest. Some are certainly but not the majority and presumably she would be able to see the 100 yds to the rally field and call a supervisor if a driver appeared to have no connection to the rally was simply telling a tale to get free parking. I take the point she was doing a job, but I think she was doing it badly.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Car park audit Spot check 50 cars at £8 =£400
Cash in bag £392
Oh! him? I just let him in for free because??????????? half hr LATER YOUR STILL WAITING!!!!!
Every good turns bites you in the a**e

What a miserable way to go about your life believing every good turn bites your ass!

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
As a representative of Bolton Abbey I would have thought that being totally inflexible, refusing to accede to a perfectly reasonable request and displaying a severe lack of common sense or good will could hardly be described as doing a good job. Its not as if the OP was wishing to park, he was simply wishing access to a rally field with is a completely different thing, and he says he had explained his intentions. If I were her supervisor I would be concerned she was presenting the wrong image, one which I would see as hardly likely to foster good public relations. I would also be concerned because I prefer public facing employees to have a sense of humour, and to be welcoming and helpful to those they encounter.

Too true and rare enough to impress when someone actually smiles at you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back