solar advice please (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
thanks in advance, just bought a SH MH and paid to have a solar panel fitted, upon service before I get it they have told me that they have discovered its got a 100w panel and a controller that says mppt15 on it, they have checked it and its working fine and set up to charge both van and leasure batteries. They have said they can rip it out and put new in, or give me what I was going to pay for new back.
So do you think I am right hanging onto my cash what have I got to loose. going to dealer tomorrow to give them an answer and check it out myself.
forgot to mention its a 2014 van so it shouldn't be that old

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Keep you money, if it stops working you can use the cables to wire in a new one.

They are usually good for years and you will be able to check the power you are getting from it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Or put another one on as well, check what input wattage the controller can handle and you might get away with just the panel and some wires.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
keep the cash and see how you get on with the 1 panel first-it may be ok. If not you can add a another panel later at one of the fix it meets(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The answer depends upon how you are going to use the van. 100W is fine if you are planning to go without EHU occasionally in the summer. If, on the other hand, you want to go without EHU for longer periods in the autumn winter and spring in the UK then at least 200W will be needed, depending, of course upon how much TV you watch, how many lights you have on and how warm you want the motorhome (the fan/pump on your heating system uses quite a bit of electricity).

You can always ask them to fit the other panel you have paid for. You could then either get another controller to run that one (I doubt the existing controller would take both) or get them to replace the existing controller with a better one that will take both panels.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sounds like a decent dealer, wonder they didn't just take your money and leave the one that's there, on the other hand they couldn't have checked much if they didnt know it already had one!

OP
OP
L
Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sounds like a decent dealer, wonder they didn't just take your money and leave the one that's there, on the other hand they couldn't have checked much if they didnt know it already had one!
Your right there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back