Oil Change light is on (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
So we are in the East of Germany on the autobahn when the menu indicator suddenly said Change the Oil. Its also lit up a red oil can on the dash. The same service indicator says to service the engine in 870 miles. I serviced it in March 7000 miles ago.

What's going on ?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming it's definitely the service indicator and not low oil pressure I would bet the people who carried the service never reset or incorrectly set the service interval. Some indicators are set by time, others actually measure the viscosity of the oil and indicate when the oil needs changing regardless of mileage.
Seven thousand miles is nothing when you consider the service intervals on modern engines and synthetic oils. My Ducato requires an oil change every 28,000 miles or two years. For peace of mind you could contact the people who serviced your motorhome and discuss with them. Either way check your oil level at the first opportunity.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
when you service it yourself you cannot reset the oil / mileage unit , as you know you have changed the oil and no doubt you have checked it ,

go on google type in the make and model ie Ford Transit how to reset the oil light indicator ,

it will be something like :- ign on , foot on brake, ign off, release brake and the oil light will reset etc

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks peaps. Oil level is good. I have never had the service intervals reset as it means taking it into a main dealer and bending over! I've serviced the van twice now over 15000 miles and the service light has never been on before.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Perhaps it does not know it's been serviced before and is now indication one because of the total mileage obtained.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If your van has a DPF it can cause the oil change warning to come on if its done a number of forced re-generations due to oil dilution. Check the oil level hasn't risen, and if it has you need an oil change urgently.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you have done the services yourself and not reset the intervals then that is the answer as to why the light is on. It's "brain" has not been told about the services you have done, so it now thinks one is due. Don't know how to fix it though I would guess a trip to a Fiat Pro dealer and see how much he will charge?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If your van has a DPF it can cause the oil change warning to come on if its done a number of forced re-generations due to oil dilution. Check the oil level hasn't risen, and if it has you need an oil change urgently.
You have been warned!!!!!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you have done the services yourself and not reset the intervals then that is the answer as to why the light is on. It's "brain" has not been told about the services you have done, so it now thinks one is due. Don't know how to fix it though I would guess a trip to a Fiat Pro dealer and see how much he will charge?
If you read above you will note this has already been suggested.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's simple to put off, just google it, there are, as someone else mentioned various ways to put it off not involving a computer, just switching things in the right order.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you read above you will note oil level has been checked and is ok !
That is not conclusive as the oil level may have been near the low mark and has been diluted with diesel and is now up near the max mark

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Right as it's now the weekend, I'm not going to find a Fiat garage to advise me. Having looked at the Fiat forums I've decided it is the service indicator that's way beyond reset mileage. The oil level is perfect and hasn't gone up or down. I've done another 150 miles to Cologne today and nothing has gone bang. Why would the oil level go up through this regeneration process people keep mentioning?

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've just been reading the owners manual. I know don't laugh - when all else fails! It sez 'ere that the service intervals are at 27,000 miles. Guess how many miles this van has just clocked up while we have been away? It seems there might be a You Tube video on how to reset the service indicator. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks for all your help people I really appreciate it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I've just been reading the owners manual. I know don't laugh - when all else fails! It sez 'ere that the service intervals are at 27,000 miles. Guess how many miles this van has just clocked up while we have been away? It seems there might be a You Tube video on how to reset the service indicator. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks for all your help people I really appreciate it.
That is what Phil told you in his earlier post. But it is also or two years - so how old is the van?

PS you have already told us it has done over 15,000 miles, so my guess is 15,000. Do I win a prize? :D

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Why would the oil level go up through this regeneration process people keep mentioning?
The regeneration injects more diesel into the engine and some can pass the piston rings into the sump.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Why would the oil level go up through this regeneration process people keep mentioning?

I really would not be concerned about this! Whilst you will always get helpful advice on this forum, some of it is pure speculation and wide of the mark. I have yet to hear of any member on here having this problem.
You just need your servicing interval reset.
Safe Travels.

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That is what Phil told you in his earlier post. But it is also or two years - so how old is the van?

PS you have already told us it has done over 15,000 miles, so my guess is 15,000. Do I win a prize? :D

It's a 2012 Burstner. I'm sorry you didn't win it's done 27k. I first serviced it at 12k when I bought it at two years old. I serviced it in March this year at 20k. I will change the oil and filters again early in the new year. A worrying aspect that I've just read is that it go into semi limp mode, no more than 3,000 revs and then eventually into full limp mode and no more than 1500 revs. I'm going to have to pay somebody to reset the service trip. Heyho!

Roadrunner_644

Free Member
Apr 26, 2008
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class B644
Exp
Since 1990
RESET OIL SERVICE LIGHT ON FIAT DUCATO:
To turning off the Oil Life Light on Fiat Ducato, conform to the following instructions:

• Turn the ignition key to position “ON” without starting the engine
  • Set the odometer to read total miles.
  • Press Odometer button until CFG1 appears on the display
  • Release the odometer button
  • Hit the odometer button to change different mile intervals
  • When you have selected the interval, press and hold the odometer button again to reset service light
  • Turn the ignition Off
For more details, please watch the following video:

http://seventrumpet.com/reset-oil-service-light-on-fiat-ducato/

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
To turning off the Oil Life Light on Fiat Ducato, conform to the following instructions:

• When you have selected the interval, press and hold the odometer button again to reset service light
  • Turn the ignition Off

That's the one that does ours, but could be a different sequence on yours.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years

• Turn the ignition Off

That's the one that does ours, but could be a different sequence on yours.

Ours is a 2012 and as far as I could tell it is a main dealer only reset.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I really would not be concerned about this! Whilst you will always get helpful advice on this forum, some of it is pure speculation and wide of the mark. I have yet to hear of any member on here having this problem.
You just need your servicing interval reset.
Safe Travels.
It is possible to get the oil level raised with diesel due to aborted dpf burn offs.
We see this a couple of times a month when customers keep using their FLT's for short periods even though the display is screaming at them to let it complete the burn cycle but they ignore it.
The problem with road vehicles is that there is little to let the driver know when it's completing the burn cycle. Only the slight reduction of power and the cooling fans running will be the tell tales for it as they don't put lights on the dash as it would worry some.

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Completely confused - what's an FLT? I have no indication of any burn cycle. Also my van is a 2012 and does not have an odometer button.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Completely confused - what's an FLT? I have no indication of any burn cycle. Also my van is a 2012 and does not have an odometer button.
That's what I said, all designed so you don't know what it's doing until it goes faulty. I do think that unless you see the main dealer you are going to have to put up with the lights from hell and possible limp mode operation.
It's all designed to force you to use the main dealers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back