Getting stuck in rally fields (1 Viewer)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Has anyone ever got out of a rally field ( without being towed out ) after getting stuck.

I Know of the mats tracks and bread baskets, but what i'm talking about is geting stuck whilst driving towards the exit.

I have a front wheel drive, and any that i have seen getting stuck have had to be pulled out.

What would be the solution if there are no tractors, 4x4 s or funster bodies to help you out.

Solutions?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Make sure you have plenty of food and water on board so you can wait it out till the ground hardens up. (y)

There has always been someone with the means on rallies and meets I've been on, just make sure your not last to leave :LOL::LOL:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I find that with the wife pushing, we can get out of most situations. (y) Getting her mad helps. I usually open the drivers window and shout "Hey love, your sister is GREAT in bed." It gives her that instant superhuman energy to shove that bit harder.
However, there is a downside..............:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Over the years I've seen people REALLY STUCK. Though none of them are still there. You always get out in the end :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've got one of the 'track' thingys. You put it down and drive over it making it like a tank, I assume. It's one of those 'must have' things that I bought 10 or so years ago and kept in the moho for about 6/7 years then relegated to the shed. Still unopened but perhaps that's a good thing. Wouldn't help me now as it's still in the shed.
Whether it worked under real situations as opposed to video ones, I can't say but I suppose if it worked well then it's a bargain, however much was paid.
Mind you, I have a list of 'must have ' thingys including (and I'm ducking at this one) the dreaded Double Skillet. The box has had more use than the thing. Some love it. I just think it's a useless bit of tackle. It's next to the track thingy.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Keep a small tirfor in the garage, they don't weigh an awful lot.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Suppose you could invest in a set of these?
bad4a809e8ceeae5ea2477796ce59052.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Lift the front out of the mud with your hydraulic levellers
Place grip mats under drive wheels
Move forwards until stuck again
Repeat

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
And how would that work to getting out of a muddy field. Not questioning it but wondering how a winch would help.
There would no doubt be other vehicles somewhere you could lash to but failing that, if parking in a rally field is your thing then a ground anchor to accompany the tirfor would get you out of the sh#t.
If I were parking in fields they would definitely be a part of my kit.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Lift the front out of the mud with your hydraulic levellers
Place grip mats under drive wheels
Move forwards until stuck again
Repeat
Trouble is, I think most Moho's don't have hydraulic levellers do they?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There would no doubt be other vehicles somewhere you could lash to but failing that, if parking in a rally field is your thing then a ground anchor to accompany the tirfor would get you out of the sh#t.
If I were parking in fields they would definitely be a part of my kit.
Yeah, now I understand. By putting a leash to another vehicle, might it not damage the anchored one? Couple of years ago (again at Peterborough) lots got stuck and pulled out by tractor that was arranged. The winch woukd have been no good as the other Moho's were bogged down too.
Of course, if part of a rally, I assume it'll be arranged by marshals and if weather appalling and get bogged down, possibly the owner of the land will have a tractor type vehicle?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Most don't carry grip matts either :LOL:
That I couldn't say but I think the majority stay on hard standing. Other than moho shows in this country, I've only stayed on a couple of fields. Brit Stops were hard standing and I think only 2 field type Aires and a campsite in Luxembourg.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If on your own, I suggest, with the greatest respect of course, that you don't park where you might get stuck.

If you are on a "rally" field and get stuck, willing help won't be too far away, unless you have been horrid to everyone all weekend.

JJ :cool:

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
There is only so many things you can do on your own but one of them is think positive!!
I work in an off road environment and my vehicle is 3.5t and I can honestly say I've never not been able to get myself out of the situation, yes I've got a winch on the front but like I said earlier, a tirfor will do the same job and a ground anchor if needed.
These items don't need to be carried all year round but if you intend to go on a rally field then just throw them in.
It's not all about what if this or what if that, just get on with it!!

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
So ... if you are in a field and it rains over night ... the exit gets a bit boggy ... do you take a run at it to carry momentum, or do you go carefully and controlled like you're on snow?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If on your own, I suggest, with the greatest respect of course, that you don't park where you might get stuck.

If you are on a "rally" field and get stuck, willing help won't be too far away, unless you have been horrid to everyone all weekend.

That's summed that up perfectly

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If in doubt.........flat out!!
That's the sort of answer I'd have expected from the old Top Gear. I'll never forget them saying that if a caravan starts to snake, then speed up to stop it. Errrr? Nooooooooo.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

@Dawn B take note...........:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
That's the sort of answer I'd have expected from the old Top Gear. I'll never forget them saying that if a caravan starts to snake, then speed up to stop it. Errrr? Nooooooooo.
It was actually the correct thing to do. Slowing down puts more energy into the caravan making it worse. Speeding up 'pulls' it back into line.
Actually doing it assuming you have enough power is the difficult part as every nerve message is shouting NO

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There is only so many things you can do on your own but one of them is think positive!!
I work in an off road environment and my vehicle is 3.5t and I can honestly say I've never not been able to get myself out of the situation, yes I've got a winch on the front but like I said earlier, a tirfor will do the same job and a ground anchor if needed.
These items don't need to be carried all year round but if you intend to go on a rally field then just throw them in.
It's not all about what if this or what if that, just get on with it!!
A right. So it's not the lightweight tirfor but also a ground anchor and a cable I assume. I don't have a problem with the weight aspect but space is at a premium in our moho.
And if there was a place for a ground anchor and you just happen to have enough cable too, it's also possible, if using the logic of 'if in doubt, flat out' then some very expensive damage could be caused to the engine and/or gearbox possibly?
Mind you, if you're going into those situations knowingly then carrying your own solution is a must. I personally wouldn't willingly go into that situation but if I was going as in wild camping then I probably would carry. My own choice is to go elsewhere

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It was actually the correct thing to do. Slowing down puts more energy into the caravan making it worse. Speeding up 'pulls' it back into line.
Actually doing it assuming you have enough power is the difficult part as every nerve message is shouting NO
Ah right, well I wonder why the Police, RAC, AA and the judge didn't agree when a tugger blamed Top Gears advice after he'd seen it on Top Gear. Apparently laughter heard for hundreds of miles because he believed them. He got done for careless driving.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Trouble is, I think most Moho's don't have hydraulic levellers do they?

They are optional on all motorhomes, it's just that not everybody chooses them.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back