France update (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
well here we are back home, just a few observations, and a few things I was wrong on:whistle:
We have done 2600 miles in a month and two days, honestly not seen a solitary migrant, and only seen about 6 gendarme in the whole time, and contrary to popular belief there isn't one behind every tree.
We have paid at st Valery , honfleur, two days at twin lakes, where we experienced our first funsters meet and good it was too, two days at colloure, coucy Le chatuex and gravelines, oh and Julie has just told me nuncq hautecote where we went first night , brilliant one this. All the rest free, mostly different one every night.
We have a gasit 6 kilo bottle that showed empty after about ten days but from previous experience knew it wasn't empty but filled it when we saw gas on a motorway service and it held 8 litre so after this it showed empty again after another ten days but left it and it lasted till we came back.
Two 85 amp batteries and two 100 watt solar panels provided far more electric than we could use, never on hookup anywhere even where it was provided.
Huwii dongle and 3 12 gb data sim provided all the internet we could use but ran out on the last day, but a fantastic system this , never without a signal anywhere, even when the three phones said no signal.
Must say though , never found a 4 g signal anywhere.
Now I must take it all back about fon, found it worked in many places , don't know what changed but have never been able to find a sign of it before.
Now the big one , I have been the biggest critic of watering cans to fill the water up, but thought I would take one to try, and found it brilliant we went with a full tank and then just shoved a can full in anywhere we saw a tap, saves unwinding hoses, getting the right end and wrapping it all up again.
Loads more stuff to say but I'm wearing my finger out, and probably boreing you all to death.:)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Why do you need a full tank of water and yet take a chance on the gas. A full tank of water should last 5 days. Why are you carrying 50 Kilo of water around with you? There's never a shortage of water in France.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We fill up at every opportunity and usually have a full tank whenever we leave an aire. Been to several aires where there is no water available and want to stay 2 or 3 days so definitely worth topping up as and when possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why do you need a full tank of water and yet take a chance on the gas. A full tank of water should last 5 days. Why are you carrying 50 Kilo of water around with you? There's never a shortage of water in France.
That was my point , didn't need to be full really, before had to wait till we found a tap that we could get to and fitted the hose, this watering can thing meens you can put water in anywhere from any sort of tap.
Don't understand your reference to the gas , what chance was I taking , when filling it first time showed that there was still a quarter of a tank left , so just left it to see how far it would last.
By the way the filler is inside the locker and there was no trouble filling it from the attendant.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
We fill up at every opportunity and usually have a full tank whenever we leave an aire. Been to several aires where there is no water available and want to stay 2 or 3 days so definitely worth topping up as and when possible.
same here, always keep the tank full. 100 litre tank gets us about 3 1/2 showers including washing loo etc.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Huwii dongle and 3 12 gb data sim provided all the internet we could use but ran out on the last day, but a fantastic system this , never without a signal anywhere, even when the three phones said no signal.
,Have you been drinking data, how did you manage to use that much,our 1gig add on is just about run out after 3 weeks and we are quite heavy internet users.
Now I must take it all back about fon, found it worked in many places , don't know what changed but have never been able to find a sign of it before.
I put it down to user error.:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
All right for you guys with 500 Lt tanks our van only has a tiny 100Lt tank so we run full plus 2 x 20Lt containers in the garage then we can last 3-4 days, we can't live without our morning shower.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We fill up at every opportunity and usually have a full tank whenever we leave an aire. Been to several aires where there is no water available and want to stay 2 or 3 days so definitely worth topping up as and when possible.[/QUO

Maybe the difference is that we might do 200 miles between Aires so carrying that amount of excess weight is just daft.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
,Have you been drinking data, how did you manage to use that much,our 1gig add on is just about run out after 3 weeks and we are quite heavy internet users.

I put it down to user error.:)
Have you been useing fon though, 1 gb won't last two minutes with us when running iPad and another tablet with YouTube and other video clips and stuff.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That would be the difference we don't need to shower ever day. We tend to half fill up on the days we want a shower.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That would be the difference we don't need to shower ever day. We tend to half fill up on the days we want a shower.
We both shower every day and we only have 70 lts when full, but we can still last three days

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for using a watering can when travelling - way easier than messing about with hosepipes, apart from filling at home.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
All right for you guys with 500 Lt tanks our van only has a tiny 100Lt tank so we run full plus 2 x 20Lt containers in the garage then we can last 3-4 days, we can't live without our morning shower.
Mine is smaller than than,,probably 60 litres,,never run out in France,,,BUSBY.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
same here, always keep the tank full. 100 litre tank gets us about 3 1/2 showers including washing loo etc.

We always travel with fresh water full,so you have option to wild camp
or aires.We travel out of season and taps are sometimes turned off!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Chaser and Burtonbird thanks for sharing your trip I've enjoyed reading and looking at your photos. Posting that uses your data so thank you ! When are you off again?!:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Mine is smaller than than,,probably 60 litres,,never run out in France,,,BUSBY.
Depends where you camp it you are wilding up in the mountains miles from anywhere dont want a 20 or 30 mile round trip just to get water. At least the new van will have a 150Lt tank, one of the reasons for changing.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Never bothered with a watering can myself but do have a two metre hose (washing machine) hose which is my favourite go to as it so easy to use. Most aires you have to pay for a set amount of water so a watering can would be useless??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you been useing fon though, 1 gb won't last two minutes with us when running iPad and another tablet with YouTube and other video clips and stuff.
We never let any videos play when on paying data.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We never let any videos play when on paying data.
We don't have a tv so anything to do with video, news , posting stuff and all that goes through data, well satisfied at £21 for 30 odd days, didn't use any phone data, and apart from when we could find fon, which to be honest wasn't very often but at least now have got it to work, everything went through the 3 data sim.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Chaser and Burtonbird thanks for sharing your trip I've enjoyed reading and looking at your photos. Posting that uses your data so thank you ! When are you off again?!:)
Have no plans other than maybe a week at the Xmas markets.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We've just had 41/2 months touring France, using mainly aires- used about three campsites but only because they had offers and 133 nights averaged out to €2.11 per night which at my Revolut rate worked out at £1.62 per night. We only payed for water once and had free electric on free Aires 4 or 5 times. We always fill up with water when we can (120 litres tank and 5,10 and 15 litre cans for drinking) We carry a 80mm drain elbow which fits tightly into the water filler- when the caps removed- and use the 15 litre can to fill tank.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)

Thanks for following Anthea, we've had a great time. I shall probably be taking my granddaughter away for a few days at half term if you really want to know what kids get up to at Halloween!!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've just had 41/2 months touring France, using mainly aires- used about three campsites but only because they had offers and 133 nights averaged out to €2.11 per night which at my Revolut rate worked out at £1.62 per night. We only payed for water once and had free electric on free Aires 4 or 5 times. We always fill up with water when we can (120 litres tank and 5,10 and 15 litre cans for drinking) We carry a 80mm drain elbow which fits tightly into the water filler- when the caps removed- and use the 15 litre can to fill tank.
Another thing I havnt mentioned, is the Halifax clarity card, usually we have had a pre paid card but that finished so on advice from members on here we got the Halifax card and have done everything through it , diesel, tolls , we only had about thirty quid on them, cash point ,meals , shopping , load of wine and beer we have brought back , everything , and paid it off as soon as I got back and in all it came to £1500 for 32 days, and on all that there was just £1.50 interest, no other costs and a good rate at the cash point .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks for the info , very informative.(y)

Mines only a 100l but I can shower with less than 10l. I turn it off & on.:D
Maybe the difference is that we might do 200 miles between Aires so carrying that amount of excess weight is just daft.
I do 400 sometimes between lay bys & always around 300 so top up at any opportunity.

We both shower every day and we only have 70 lts when full, but we can still last three days

You obviously turn it on & off also ?

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the info , very informative.(y)

Mines only a 100l but I can shower with less than 10l. I turn it off & on.:D

I sometines do 400miles between laybys & that is why I run full & top up at any opportunity

You obviously turn it on & off also ?
always 'ship wash' shower, saves filling up with water so often

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We tried to get into nuncq hautecote last Saturday but was full and ended up at St Omer which is a nice Aire, no water though as think from 1october it may be switched of as we had found others that said the same thing from the 1st October.
Was at Gravelines last Sunday ready for our ferry on Monday. Paid €3.50 for the night which thought was fine but would have been €7 prior to the 1st October which I think is a little high.
Is the 3 sim on a contract as if not it looks like a good option for what we need when we go back across in a couple of weeks, do you know what countries it covers?

Don't know about you but from coming in to France over the Pyrennes 9 days before we only saw a handful of UK vans until we got to Gravelines so where is everyone hiding that say they are out in France.

We do same as you, keep water tank topped up, we ended up wilding for a couple of nights and at least three Aires we stayed on didn't have water available

Happy travels

Shawn

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We average 35 Lt a day, showers don't take too much but surprising how much water washing up 3 or 4 times a day takes.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We average 35 Lt a day, showers don't take too much but surprising how much water washing up 3 or 4 times a day takes.

Think that's about what we use daily. When you think the average 2 person household uses about 276 Lt a day it's surprising how much less you can use. Especially makes you think about it when you've got to go out in the rain/cold and fill the tank up lol.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We tried to get into nuncq hautecote last Saturday but was full and ended up at St Omer which is a nice Aire, no water though as think from 1october it may be switched of as we had found others that said the same thing from the 1st October.
Was at Gravelines last Sunday ready for our ferry on Monday. Paid €3.50 for the night which thought was fine but would have been €7 prior to the 1st October which I think is a little high.
Is the 3 sim on a contract as if not it looks like a good option for what we need when we go back across in a couple of weeks, do you know what countries it covers?

Don't know about you but from coming in to France over the Pyrennes 9 days before we only saw a handful of UK vans until we got to Gravelines so where is everyone hiding that say they are out in France.

We do same as you, keep water tank topped up, we ended up wilding for a couple of nights and at least three Aires we stayed on didn't have water available

Happy travels

Shawn
Yeah , it was full when we went, we had the last space, but deserves to be , a British couple run it as a commercial aire , even got a swimming pool and the wifi is the best we have ever come across, streamed tv perfect.
Always pay at gravelines , loads don't, but really like it there, and the Xmas market is as good as anywhere.
No the three sim is a one off purchase that has been discussed on here many times, you buy the sim then you get 12 gb for a year whichever runs out first, but last year the data on my phone cost £60 so £20 for all our devices has got to be a bargain.
Saw very few uk vans , but must say the ones we did meet apart from one nice couple we met in Blaye, and apart from funsters, are the most miserable people you meet , the French aren't much better but at least they acknowledge you even though they don't know what you are on about, I have spoken to some British and they just turn around as if you are not there, the Dutch are the best, must say this is only my view it's maybe something about me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back