Our dog on an over night ferry crossing in kennels (1 Viewer)

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Hi guys

Going to book a ferry crossing to spain in march 2017, we have our baby boy! DOG best mate! Has anyone had experience in leaving their dog in the kennels on a ferry? Can you visit them when you want to? I have heard of dog cabins but can't seem to find a ferry that does them.

Regards Sharon

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my old dog was on channel crossing before the dog passport scheme . used to cross at least once a year. she left in the december before the scheme started . in the begining to spain you left them in the vehicle and had times to take them for a walk., later with the kennels and walking area you could not put them in the kennel and sit with them if you wanted in the walking area .
the kennels arent that bad . or that good .
i once had to come home early and there was no kennels available . santander contacted the captain of the ferry i i got permission to leave the dog in my vehicle and had times to walk her.
always payed for a kennel but arranged to leave her in the vehicle from then onwards . just asked to see the burser or captain always worked . had to wait till onboard though . but the kennels work.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The dog friendly cabins were only on the Cap Finistre but I believe that after the recent refit they are on the Pont Aven as well. You should have no problem booking one for next March. Used both the cabins and the kennels over the years and both were okay. The kennels are high up on one of the top decks and you have 24 hour access.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Hi vwalan thank you for replying. Great tip. I would love to leave him in the van. We have never traveled on a ferry with a motor home. We pick our new van up in two weeks.

Regards Sharon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Thank you Nikki I will goggle the ferries you mentioned. Great to have my dog in a cabin. :) he is spoilt, on my bed as I type tin the middle. Gggrrrr

Sharon

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi vwalan thank you for replying. Great tip. I would love to leave him in the van. We have never traveled on a ferry with a motor home. We pick our new van up in two weeks.

Regards Sharon
Make sure plenty of water available and not too hot if travelling in daytime.
Because we have a dog, we only use the train nowadays because it's only 35 minutes and we're with her all the time. We take her for a walk before and after the crossing.
DSC_0002.JPG

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you mikeco typing!!!

Regards Sharon
Personally I would not leave the dog in a motor home on the car deck, visiting would be at the captains whim and if it's a rough crossing then you will not be allowed down there and 20 hours or more is a long time to leave a dog.
Best option is the cabin and then the kennels.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
usually it was every three hours . plymouth santander is only a 20 hr crossing .
if they said no then you had a kennel. there was no cabins a few years ago.
in 2000 when the pets passport started there was no kennels it was in the vehicle or dont take them .
mind one dog we took it was in 98 ,unfortunately she died while we were on our travels .

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I wouldn't use the kennels, they are awful.
The cabins are good, but get booked really quickly.
That's why the train or very short ferry works.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I wouldn't use the kennels, they are awful.
The cabins are good, but get booked really quickly.
That's why the train or very short ferry works.
i live 30 minutes south west of plymouth. driving all the way for a short ferry etc is really not viable .
as a brittany club member i get to spain for 424.60 . and leave home and less than 24hrs am in spain .
yes the kennels added about 70 quid on that price when i had tjhe dog.
mine used to like just staying in the trailer . it was her home for 8-9 months of the year. i think she would have prefered not to sleep in the house . just sleep in her bed in the trailer.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Consider Poole to Cherbourg only four and half hours and you are allowed one visit half way through to walk your dog.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Hi guys
Lots of great tips. Husband wants ferry, I don't mind train and traveling down. But husband driving!!!! Wanted to post a photo of my dog but new to this site paid up member about month ago still finding my way around the web. Regards Sharon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
I want my breakfast! He has a grumpy face! I will look for a dog cabin today. If I can't get one, I will twist my husband's arm!! Hard to go o the train.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What ferry are you talking about? I've taken two different dogs on the Plymouth Santander ferry and they have been fine. Just make sure you take some bedding which can be easily washed afterwards. If you can get the pet friendly cabins by all means use them if you want but dogs travel all the time in the kennels without problems.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back