Windows Latest Update Beware. (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have the early Windows 10 which has been no problem at all. By mistake I hit the update button for the latest edition. It did not install properly and has given me no end of grief. Two days of Microsoft Help assistance has now reinstalled the older version Hooray!! The Tech guy recommended avoiding the updates for the time being until they resolve the issues. So if you are thinking about it be very careful.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Slowed mine right down on boot up, will uninstall latest AU update. Typical MS, get it running OK then update it to boot slower than Win 98.:mad:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
updatrd last night when it finished screen said lets start and got spinning blue circle went to bed . got up this morning and it was still spinning but switched off and on now all seems ok

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My problem is that Microsoft Edge has completely closed down since the latest Windows update. :( Even Cortana has buggered off to warmer climes. It seems that it's a problem Windows cant fix for now.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My problem is that Microsoft Edge has completely closed down since the latest Windows update. :( Even Cortana has buggered off to warmer climes. It seems that it's a problem Windows cant fix for now.
Edge and Cortana disappearing - surely that's an advantage, not a problem, isn't it? :D
On the other hand, I updated mine to the latest edition and had no issues.
I updated my desktop and laptop with no problems. Looked at Jill's desktop and it had already been updated earlier - so smooth we hadn't realised it was a big update :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Edge and Cortana disappearing - surely that's an advantage, not a problem, isn't it? :D
The only problem really Graham, is that document and picture searching is much harder without Edge on 10. Plus, I cant copy or even highlight any saved pictures from 'my pictures' without opening them in paint.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I've done the updates and the only thing I've noticed since is occasionally a black screen flashes on and off. Done malware/virus checks which don't show anything untoward. Any ideas?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:giggler::giggler:
36px-Apple_Store_logo.svg.png

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I lost the Windows start button and all that went with it. Looks like a pot luck situation.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The only problem really Graham, is that document and picture searching is much harder without Edge on 10. Plus, I cant copy or even highlight any saved pictures from 'my pictures' without opening them in paint.
In general I don't use Paint, My Pictures or any of the other defaults, I always use my own folder structure so that I can store things where they should be and find them in future. I suppose that comes of being trained to do it 40 odd years ago :)

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years

Edge is the worst browser ever! I strongly recommend you try something different like Google Chrome. (make sure you download it from the official Google download site)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Be kind some people cannot afford an Apple

More likely can people afford not to buy Apple, the longevity equals value for money. in our house every mac we ever bought still runs, two are 8 years old. A Macbook and and iMac. We have an iPad1 in use every day. Expensive to buy, but quality always is. You do get the odd problem but mostly they just work. The macbook I'm typing this was bought late 2014, it's always on and has been rebooted just 3 or 4 times in it's life. I've rebooted windows laptops more than 4 times in a lunch hour. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I updated to OS Sierra yesterday. Clicked update, left it alone for 20 minutes and it's working perfectly. Won't need rebooting again for months, probably until the next major OS X update. :whistle:

The best thing about it is that I now have Siri on my Mac (y):D

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I updated to OS Sierra yesterday. Clicked update, left it alone for 20 minutes and it's working perfectly. Won't need rebooting again for months, probably until the next major OS X update. :whistle:

The best thing about it is that I now have Siri on my Mac (y):D

Yes, I updated this week to Sierra. Quick and no issues. I didn't enable Siri though.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
@Jim so I'm in the running to buy an iPad which one do you recommend for a 10 inch tablet with a minimum of 128gb please?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The macbook I'm typing this was bought late 2014, it's always on and has been rebooted just 3 or 4 times in it's life.
Rebooted 3-4 times. WOW!!!

Linux FTW :)
[root@cp ~]# uptime
16:11:50 up 615 days, 10:34, 1 user, load average: 0.35, 0.13, 0.11

:whistle::p

Reactions: Jim
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I updated my Windows from 7 to 10. Ran fine until I loaded the updates for Windows 10. Then it just crashed and I have had no end of problems. I have now gone back to windows 7 and it runs fine. I think if you have an older computer and up date to Windows 10 its a bit unstable. If you buy a new computer with Windows 10 already on it then things are much better.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Edge is the worst browser ever! I strongly recommend you try something different like Google Chrome. (make sure you download it from the official Google download site)
I'm undecided on windows or iPad but if I chose windows could I use Firefox maybe?
Ive heard that Google had stopped updating on my windows 7 pc.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Welsh girl

Have Win 10 with latest update which has not slowed my laptop down Mind you it boots up as quick as my Daughters Mac Pro even after she has taken it to the Apple shop to see why it is so slow.

I have never used Edge and always have and still am using Firefox. Okay for me.

Doug

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have to say going to an apple shop is a bit like going to a Christian science service. All the believers worship their real god in the shop and no room is left for questions about the validity of the product........like replacing the 3.5mm headphone socket with a polished electrical turd.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Windows 10 updated itself this morning on restart, without asking. Locked out of my machine for a long while, annoying because I had things to do. However, it is now running fine, and like others I use Firefox and like if very much. I had apple machines right from the outset, with their original little machine, and couldn't believe it was so naff. Over the years there were many expensive updates usually involving new machines at ridiculous prices, so eventually switched to Windows, and have stayed with that for years.

Apple is almost a religion, and I do not believe.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When I was a teenager, there was a similar attitude to whether you were a fan of The Beatles or The Rolling Stones!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back