Ypres (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anyone who hasn't been really should, we went couple of nights ago parked down from menin gate free and very quiet, only us and two more vans there, but this is our fourth time and as usual at eight o clock every night of the year it is rammed for the last post , this time it was the Grimsby old soldiers doing it and three different schools represented laying wreaths, and young soldiers reading.
Amazing it keeps finding people to do it but there were three bus loads from uk.
It's only a gentle couple of hours from Calais and well worth a look as well as to remember the dead.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We went in June this year. We stayed on the campsite just over the canal for a couple of nights. Found the service very moving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
There in July - very moving and Ypres is a lovely town with a fantastic museum. We stayed at the aire just a short walk from the Menin Gate and although getting in was quite an event, once there it was great. Going again for the Christmas market in December.

thIOM

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
It is the most moving place. I visited a few years ago to find the name of my grandfather's brother. I knew he was commemorated there but had no idea where. I found the book that lists all the names with the panel number. The book doesn't tell you where the panels are and there are hundreds of them. I took the arch from the centre of the gate and came across steps to the left, to the right and straight ahead. I decided to turn left to make a start on the search. Halfway up the steps I stopped to find my camera. I found it and turned my head to the left and there, framed perfectly in the bottom of the railings and eye level was a name; G.W. Hussey, my Great-Uncle. As far as I know I am the only person to ever go there from my family and it was like him quietly saying "I am here". I shed some tears at that place. Its a poignant reminder of the truth of war and the endless sacrifice so many young men made.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We went last year and as well as the town and Menin gate there are excellent cycle paths leading to various cemeteries .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Anyone who hasn't been really should, we went couple of nights ago parked down from menin gate free and very quiet, only us and two more vans there, but this is our fourth time and as usual at eight o clock every night of the year it is rammed for the last post , this time it was the Grimsby old soldiers doing it and three different schools represented laying wreaths, and young soldiers reading.
Amazing it keeps finding people to do it but there were three bus loads from uk.
It's only a gentle couple of hours from Calais and well worth a look as well as to remember the dead.
Bands from anywhere can apply to do the ceremony but normally it is always done by the band of the local fire brigade. The children are still taught in schools , unlike the UK, of the sacrifices made by all the soldiers in liberating Belgium . It is the same with the Dutch. In many of the smaller cemeteries each grave is adopted by , & lovingly cared for,a local family.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We were there 11/11/15. the night before their big commemoration events, and it was packed, and a very moving ceremony under the bridge. However, we were told off by an official for parking up for the night on a road near the gate and next to the river. It's very hard to see the no motorhomes sign - be aware!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Best to use Jugstation campsite, short walk to the town and Menin gate but best book in advance.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
We were there 11/11/15. the night before their big commemoration events, and it was packed, and a very moving ceremony under the bridge. However, we were told off by an official for parking up for the night on a road near the gate and next to the river. It's very hard to see the no motorhomes sign - be aware!!

There is mh parking by the river but much further down the road, away from the gate.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We spent three hours in the Cloth Hall Museum on our visit - it was unlike any other we'd been in on that subject or any other. A short trip up the road is Tyne Cot, the largest Commonwealth War Cemetery anywhere - I'd also recommend paying your respects there.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We used the aire section of the campsite when we went there, the section just for motorhomes through the first barrier. Quite a bit cheaper than the main campsite.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Menin Gate at Night.jpg
IMG_0099A (800 x 555).jpg
IMG_0097A (800 x 600).jpg

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We spent three hours in the Cloth Hall Museum on our visit - it was unlike any other we'd been in on that subject or any other. A short trip up the road is Tyne Cot, the largest Commonwealth War Cemetery anywhere - I'd also recommend paying your respects there.

We also went in the cloth Hall Museum, expecting to be in there about an hour. Very impressed, ended up spending all afternoon there.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
There is mh parking by the river but much further down the road, away from the gate.
Yes there were lots of motor homes parked there, and they all got the paper with the official warning that we got. We missed the sign saying no overnight parking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back