Stevang

Free Member
Apr 19, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy
Exp
hi we are going to Morocco January, is there anyone else going ????
Would love to tag along ....heard border control could be difficult!!!
Would be great for some know how etc
we also have a dog!! Any problems ??
Thanks so much in advance
Regards Andrea

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
With dog, ensure you have the rabies jab, and certificate. Check out the defra site

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best togo in mid december . then you can enjoy the full 90 days . end of march april can be very windy as the trade winds pick up. a sand storm is ok oncve . but you never get rid of the sand in your van , no matter how long you keep it . plus halfway through march spain or portugal as warmed up.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Thinking of doing the trip late Jan had a lot of advice at the Lincoln show look into some of the comments in resources 2014 - 2015 lots of advice there good luck might even meet up.

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
My insurance company said at the moment they will not insure me for Morocco.
How are you all doing insurance wise.
malc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
malc
Phone them back and tell them you want a green card, you will have to tell them your entry date so when you have a rough idea (later) phone them back and it should only cost a admin fee. Also ask for 120 days gives you more leeway, you get a 3 month entry stamp on the ferry over.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@Stevang read the Morocco 2015 and Morocco 2016 threads for all the info. Also download the "Guide to Taking a Motorhome to Morocco" from the Resources section of the forum (dark blue bar at top of page). There'll be plenty of Funsters going over in Dec/Jan/Feb, including us, who will no doubt be happy for you to string along so keep an eye open for the threads - the current one is titled simply "Morocco".

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We are looking to go towards the end of Jan, probably for about 6 weeks.
malc
I'm with Comfort and they cover Morocco. As said above you tell them the dates and they send you a green card for £20. Surprisingly they also said my breakdown cover is valid but I would have to pay first for local services then claim it back.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hopefully I'll be going mid Jan as well.
I'm with comfort so no problem with insurance

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
malc

We are looking to go towards the end of Jan, probably for about 6 weeks.

I'm with Comfort and they cover Morocco. As said above you tell them the dates and they send you a green card for £20. Surprisingly they also said my breakdown cover is valid but I would have to pay first for local services then claim it back.

Hmmm! Anybody tried to get a Green Card for Morocco from Comfort very recently? May be worth a phone call tomorrow in case things have changed.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
saga were always good or safeguard .
coop were years ago.
mind you can get border insurance.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Hmmm! Anybody tried to get a Green Card for Morocco from Comfort very recently? May be worth a phone call tomorrow in case things have changed.
I spoke to them 2 days ago when I renewed my insurance. I asked about Morocco and that"s what they said. Tell us the dates nearer the time and we send you a green card for which we charge £20.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
mind you can get border insurance.

One of our "group" had to buy it this year when we arrived in Morocco. It was quite expensive (about €135 if I remember correctly) for 3 months, third party only. Legal but probably only worth the paper it was printed on. Personally I wouldn't rely on it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i agree really . used to have to have it as not many would cover morocco back in the 70,s and 80,s .
there was a time the only ones i knew about were comfort and safeguard .
then saga started covering it. i did have coop one year but then moved to saga as they did a better all round policey.
just looked in an old diary. 17000 dirham for three months when i last got border insurance. that was in 98.
at the time we were getting 16.5 dirham to the pound . so it asnt gone up alot.
if you were promulgating your stay there was a place on the entry into agadir from the north , on the sea front main drag.
lots used to only get 15 days at the border for insurance then get another insurance there .
but yes better to have uk insurance that covers .
that year we were starting a round africa trip so only had uk insurance till we left spain . no insurer would cover us for whole of africa . border insurance all the way .or no insurance in some countries .
mind we never got all the way round . had to come home due to family probs .

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011

Hi Terry
We got our green card a few weeks ago from comfort for 120 days
Currently in the mid pyranees making our way slowly down,:) got 9 months to kill;)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I spoke to them 2 days ago when I renewed my insurance. I asked about Morocco and that"s what they said. Tell us the dates nearer the time and we send you a green card for which we charge £20.
Is that comprehensive cover or just third party?

Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
Hi As far as the dog is concerned you will need to get a Zertifikat [which is a Rabies antibody test ] to prove that the Rabies jab has worked because you are taking the dog out of the EU . I had a friend stopped at the border and had to have the blood sample sent to Germany for testing and they could not leave till the test came back positive , This is only a one of test and lasts for the dogs life but takes about three weeks or so to come back once it is sent for testing . I don't know the cost in England but in Portugal it cost 80 euros and when I enquired in Morocco it was about 120 euros

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Hi Stevang,
thought this might be of some interest to you regarding your Morocco trip. https://sahara-overland.com/tag/morocco-d16/
I did a trip two years ago in a Land Rover with a group. We were off roading in the desert. Not the sort of places you could take a Motor Home.
The above link will give you some idea of the formalities you need. I registered my vehicle on the form D16 in advance. I also took several copies of things like passport, Vehicle reg and insurance documents etc. These I handed to the port Authorities and Police. They seemed to like that and it did save time.
We bought our boat tickets through a guy called Carlos, well it was his daughter running the shop. We also discovered we could have got the tickets through the campsite we all met up at in Spain for around the same price. With Carlos we did however get a free hamper with some cakes and a bottle of Cider.

When on the boat you have to look out for the police where you have to register for entry into Morocco. This saves a lot of time once your in Tangier.
Any old cloths you have which you have out grown I would take them with you. Depending where you go we found they prefer that to currency. You will find kids begging for sweets, pens, writing pads, cakes etc etc. Everyone is trying to make a buck. Its part of the life out there. Once you get used to it they are a very friendly bunch of people.
Going back to the port you will see loads of ticket touts trying to flag you down and sell you ferry tickets. Once in the port you may also find men coming up to you looking official in front of the police/ port people and offer you assistance. One scam they do is to ask you for money to get you through claiming its a tax which you have to pay. They pretend to go to the Kiosk to pay it for you but its free.

This is a blog one of our guys did of the trip. Its rather Land Rover and off road stuff might you might pick up one or two things from it.
http://land-rover-discovery-1.blogspot.fr/2014/04/day-2-morocco-trip.html

I would definitely try and go in a group ( safety in numbers) You might not have the same problems as we did as we were right out in the middle of nowhere. If you stick to tarmac and the big towns it might be a little different.
Be prepared for people approaching you trying to make a few bob. Things like a boy checking your wheels and suggesting something needs tightening up and he knows a garage round the corner, that sort of thing.
We had a great time and I am looking forward to going again maybe next spring. Or even going in our camper.

Oh, we did our trip two years ago and the Defender is still full of sand in places. Even though I have traversed a couple of rivers. The sand gets everywhere.
I would take a spare Air and Diesel filters.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Is that comprehensive cover or just third party?
My policy is comprehensive, I hope cover for Morocco would also be fully comp I can't see anything in the docs to either confirm or contradict that. I'm also not sure if there would be an additional charge as well as the £20 for the green card. The certificate doesn't mention anything other than the normal European countries, but the covering letter says to contact them if planning travel to Israel, Morocco, Tunisia or Turkey.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As I understand it a green card covers you for third party only.
When I checked with my insurer they only offered comprehensive cover in EU

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
As I understand it a green card covers you for third party only.
When I checked with my insurer they only offered comprehensive cover in EU
All a green card does is confirm to the authorities in your destination country that you have the minimum insurance legally required in that country. It doesn't necessarily mean that's the only cover you actually have. Same with your normal certificate used in Europe. It normally has wording in different languages to replace the green card but whether you are comprehensive or not is irrelevant to the authorities who are checking your insurance.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
All a green card does is confirm to the authorities in your destination country that you have the minimum insurance legally required in that country. It doesn't necessarily mean that's the only cover you actually have. Same with your normal certificate used in Europe. It normally has wording in different languages to replace the green card but whether you are comprehensive or not is irrelevant to the authorities who are checking your insurance.
It's worth checking that your comprehensive cover extends to Marocco as ours sadly doesn't.
Had considered changing insurers but stayed with NFU due to level of cover offered.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
When I went to Morocco with a crown of Land Rover guys they bought Insurance at the port in Tangier. At the time it was about 90€ for three months. I didn't have to as I had French insurance which covered me in Morocco.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As far as I am aware the Comfort Green Card extends your insurance, i.e. comprehensive, to the countries you specify you are visiting. Note you MUST get this before leaving and it cannot be changed once issued - you need to state the countries you wish to visit and the dates you intend to be there. I can only speak for Comfort but they are knowledgeable and helpful in this respect.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
When I went to Morocco with a crown of Land Rover guys they bought Insurance at the port in Tangier. At the time it was about 90€ for three months. I didn't have to as I had French insurance which covered me in Morocco.
many french insurers cover just about every country all around the med .
often thought about having a french reg van and leave it at friends place in the charante . even the same companies that are in uk and france differ so much.
there was a time when some uk insurers used to let you call into their gibralter offices and extend your uk policey. it really is like a game . but saga used to give a green card for a year and cover lots of countries . must admit havnt been to morocco for 5years so things change so much.

Mark-kelly

Free Member
Jan 5, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi
We are going down to morocco on the 17th Jan 2017, heading down to Agadir.
We had all our insurances sorted through Saga who told us to call them when we needed our green card issuing, we rang yesterday and gave them our dates and couldnt believe it as they now say they will have to check with the underwriters to see if we will be covered when they clearly told us we was.
We will still be going regardless of what Saga do so might see you down there.
Regards
Mark and kelly

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@Mark-kelly It is quite possible to get third party insurance as you enter Morocco.

For more information read the "Morocco 2017" thread and also download my article about taking a motorhome to Morocco in the Resources section. You'll need to be a fully paid up member, but it will be the best £15 you've ever spent I can promise you.

There are at least two dozen Funsters going over from now until the end of January if you want company. There's a list on the thread.

Mark-kelly

Free Member
Jan 5, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi all !
Saga insurance have made contact today and thankfully have covered us for morocco,
They can't cover morocco for recovery but then again I can't find any other insurance that would.
So the trip is an schedule for the 17th of Jan 2017, heading down to southern Spain to see some friends and the jump on the ferry to Tangier.
Can't wait

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back