Nassa BM-1 Bluetooth Battery Monitor. (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have looked at several battery monitors recently and the Victron looked great. Only problem for me would be the wires going to the display monitor and making a hole to mount the monitor. I then found this and apart from the wiring in the battery bay to the shunt and the monitor, there are no other wires. It all works by Bluetooth and I can even get readings from outside of the motorhome. I have found it to be extremely accurate and it has given me data about how many amps I'm drawing for each 12 volt appliance and devices connected to my inverter.
It has also provided readings for amp input from my on board intelligent charger and confirmed that both my solar power panels ( one mounted on roof and other a suitcase wired directly to leisure batteries) provide current to the leisure batteries at the same time even though they have there own individual controllers.
A great bit of kit.
20161005_103329.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I've got the early version of the NASA BM1. It also only needed 4 wires going to the battery and shunt. Don't quite understand what the Bluetooth does apart from being able to monitor on your phone within 10m of the van. I assume everything is still accessible from the monitor.

The system on mine only monitors what is going in or out of the leisure batteries, not any individual supply of power, such as the solar panels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've got the early version of the NASA BM1. It also only needed 4 wires going to the battery and shunt. Don't quite understand what the Bluetooth does apart from being able to monitor on your phone within 10m of the van. I assume everything is still accessible from the monitor.

The system on mine only monitors what is going in or out of the leisure batteries, not any individual supply of power, such as the solar panels.

The purpose of the Bluetooth connection is to save you having any wires from the monitor to the display.
In essence a Bluetooth signal is sent to your phone/tablet and you have access to a free app or, you can pay for a more comprehensive App with I phone. (The Bluetooth monitor only sends data to the app and does not display anything itself). The App (free one for Android) will show Amps going in or going out of the batteries. Voltage of batteries, amount of time remaining if there is a draw on the batteries and % charge of the batteries. I have managed to measure each individual service that draws from the leisure batteries by disconnecting the 240 V supply (EHU) and covering the solar panel up. The monitor showed full batteries with a 0.0 Amp draw. I then switched on each service, in isolation and measured the current draw. Finally, I uncovered the solar panel and measured to input into the batteries, then connected my second Solar Panel and measured the increase again with both connected.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.............. and measured the increase again with both connected.

If all FUNsters were so competent and logical half the traffic would go.

I find it very annoying that they would charge extra for an app when they are saving the cost of a display and buttons by you providing them.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If all FUNsters were so competent and logical half the traffic would go.

I find it very annoying that they would charge extra for an app when they are saving the cost of a display and buttons by you providing them.
Thank you Brian, I can asure you there are a lot of competent Funsters out there who know a dam site more than me. The App from the I store is around £9.00 or so I'm led to believe and is more comprehensive than the free one for Android devices. I can only assume Apple offered to produce the App for NASA at their own cost in the hope to make a killing afterwards. Time will tell I guess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The purpose of the Bluetooth connection is to save you having any wires from the monitor to the display.
In essence a Bluetooth signal is sent to your phone/tablet and you have access to a free app or, you can pay for a more comprehensive App with I phone. (The Bluetooth monitor only sends data to the app and does not display anything itself). The App (free one for Android) will show Amps going in or going out of the batteries. Voltage of batteries, amount of time remaining if there is a draw on the batteries and % charge of the batteries. I have managed to measure each individual service that draws from the leisure batteries by disconnecting the 240 V supply (EHU) and covering the solar panel up. The monitor showed full batteries with a 0.0 Amp draw. I then switched on each service, in isolation and measured the current draw. Finally, I uncovered the solar panel and measured to input into the batteries, then connected my second Solar Panel and measured the increase again with both connected.

Ah, I understand now. The Bluetooth transmitter module allows you to place it near the leisure batteries and out of the way.

Fortunately, I had a convenient place to install my monitor and hide the incoming wires, so the basic version of the NASA BM1 worked well for me.

Agree, good piece of kit. Gives a good indication of the percentage of Amp-hours left in the battery and instantaneous amps drawn or put in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back