Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just back from a trip to France and stopped at a couple of private aires called Camping Car Park. We were extremely impressed with them, plenty of room, clean and tidy service area, nice locations. We were aware of CCP before but thought why pay when lower cost aires are available, then we did the sums and thought CCP as a reasonable priced alternative. A lot of their aires are former municipal campsites or like one we stopped at a fenced of part of an existing municipal. Initial entry can be a bit of a chore as you need to purchase a membership card which requires entering name, address, card number,email etc. Once you have a card all you have to do is charge it with enough for the aire charge, then wave the card in front of the number pad to gain entry. I believe that it is possible to pre charge the card with funds via their Web page which may be better for some. Costs vary depending on venue but generally speaking they are about €10 for 24 hours ( if staying longer you will have to pay for another 24 hours) this includes the usual services, electric and WiFi. We will definitely be visiting Camping Car Parks when we go over to France again as most are open all year.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Yep I'm a member and I like them much. I have the full "golden" card which allows to top up 50 euros if you wish , there's no limit in time to use them. Wifi is good. I just had to re sign in every 2 hours. The first time I have test those aires was on the 13th November when The Battaclan was attacked in Paris. I had the news on through internet nearly all weekend. We (sister in law and I) couldn't enjoy the week end the same way, hence internet nearly all the time!

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Another vote here too...although we had a slight hitch exiting the aire at La Cavalerie.

Would definitely recommend getting a card (PASS'ETAPES) to those who use the Aire network in France,which I believe you can do prior to departure.

Here's the link to their website > BROKEN LINK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, we like them too. The only problem can be registering with them the first time in order to get the card and open the barrier. We managed eventually, but have seen plenty of people fail and drive away.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, we like them too. The only problem can be registering with them the first time in order to get the card and open the barrier. We managed eventually, but have seen plenty of people fail and drive away.
We were one of them, and havnt regretted it, I'm afraid.

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Like I said if you do the sums they are not that expensive. We stopped at Le Crotoy which costs €7 a night plus €2 for water, no electric, no WiFi so €10 a night for CCP isn't too bad. Some may say that you could stop at a full facilities campsite for the same amount but you be hard pressed to find a campsite open all year round let alone 24/7

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, I suspected they might be a bit on the expensive side for you @chaser ;)
Nowt to do with the cost, just couldn't get them to work, tried two and folks inside just stared at us , no attempt from anyone to help, even rang a woman at one of them but still not able to get it to work.

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Nowt to do with the cost, just couldn't get them to work, tried two and folks inside just stared at us , no attempt from anyone to help, even rang a woman at one of them but still not able to get it to work.
What wouldn't work chaser?. Maybe they have updated the software since you used one, but we found it particularly straight forward with all the instructions in English if required.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What wouldn't work chaser?. Maybe they have updated the software since you used one, but we found it particularly straight forward with all the instructions in English if required.
Early last year , all in French, but that's no bother to Julie as she's fluent with living here, they just wouldn't take any card we had and even with the woman at the other end of the computer thing, nothing.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
When we arrived at our first Camping Carpark at Millau, in March this year, there was a very large German van parked at the barrier, and an elderly German couple trying to work out how to get in. I went to try and help them, but the machine kept either rejecting their card, or showing an error message. Eventually, with much difficulty, they managed to turn their vehicle round and we took our turn at the barrier.
We input the seemingly, large amount of information needed in order to register, and the machine kept giving an error message. Then suddenly, as if by magic, it changed its mind and issued the entry card. Unfortunately, by this stage, the Germans had given up in frustration and driven away.
We also witnessed people having problems in exiting the same site.
Since then, its been plain sailing for us. We just put the entry card, together with registered credit card into the machine, top up, and enter. However, while at other sites, we have seen people give up and drive away.
I do think they should try to simplify their system, but once inside, they're good sites - clean, good-sized pitches, convenient locations, good bourne facilities - very much like campsites but usually without toilets and showers. WiFi connection excellent. In our view, well worth the effort of passing the entry test. :)

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
This is a really interesting post. I knew nothing of these and they sound like a really good alternative.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread

Andrew

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When we arrived at our first Camping Carpark at Millau, in March this year, there was a very large German van parked at the barrier, and an elderly German couple trying to work out how to get in. I went to try and help them, but the machine kept either rejecting their card, or showing an error message. Eventually, with much difficulty, they managed to turn their vehicle round and we took our turn at the barrier.
We input the seemingly, large amount of information needed in order to register, and the machine kept giving an error message. Then suddenly, as if by magic, it changed its mind and issued the entry card. Unfortunately, by this stage, the Germans had given up in frustration and driven away.
We also witnessed people having problems in exiting the same site.
Since then, its been plain sailing for us. We just put the entry card, together with registered credit card into the machine, top up, and enter. However, while at other sites, we have seen people give up and drive away.
I do think they should try to simplify their system, but once inside, they're good sites - clean, good-sized pitches, convenient locations, good bourne facilities - very much like campsites but usually without toilets and showers. WiFi connection excellent. In our view, well worth the effort of passing the entry test. :)
That's what happened to us, and contrary to what others think,i wasn't knocking them , just saying what happened:)

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Early last year , all in French, but that's no bother to Julie as she's fluent with living here, they just wouldn't take any card we had and even with the woman at the other end of the computer thing, nothing.
I can understand your frustration as a similar thing happened to us at Le Treport aire a couple of years ago when they had just installed a new barrier system. It ended when a kindly French campingcarist lent us use his French card and I paid him in cash.

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We used them for the first time this year in Serignan, some of the aires look pretty good so I've topped up the card. I do agree though that the first arrival is a real fiddle. Off again next week so will see if the prepaid card actually works.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You would have witnessed us struggling if you had been there in March. I nearly gave up but the audio help system with an English speaking operator got us in ( or did I phone them ? I forget ). It was not just me being stupid, she did something to correct the computer. I am on record as Jo Blogs 1 Nofixed Abode Ave etc etc. I'm blowed if I was giving all my personal details to park, at a high price, for a night.

Now you have mentioned it I think it did not want us to leave. Well it wouldn't at that price in the off season.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
You would have witnessed us struggling if you had been there in March. I nearly gave up but the audio help system with an English speaking operator got us in ( or did I phone them ? I forget ). It was not just me being stupid, she did something to correct the computer. I am on record as Jo Blogs 1 Nofixed Abode Ave etc etc. I'm blowed if I was giving all my personal details to park, at a high price, for a night.

Now you have mentioned it I think it did not want us to leave. Well it wouldn't at that price in the off season.

My one and only dealing with this company was at Millau, I paid my money and was given a card but repeated attempts to enter the aire failed, the barrierstay put.
Luckily a kind French lady took pity on me and phoned the help line, she chatted away, in French for ages, well over 15 minutes, during this time we were asked to try our card again and again. When it did open. I thanked the lady and she yes it was a "right palaver". I thought that sumed it up to a tee.
Having got in, I spent all night wondering whether it would let me out in the morning. It did but I decided never again to use any of the company's aires. I think I still over ten euros on the card.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only come across about 3 of them all looked pretty grim to us but like all Aires standards vary. The one at Millau is very grim, we watched a French couple try to get in for ages they gave up so we didn't bother trying good result though we found a lovely wild spot up in the hills.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We stayed on this company's aire at Castelnaudery earlier this year and returned to the same one last week. Very pleasantly surprised when, after waiting for 20 minutes for two Frenchmen to sort out access for themselves, we rolled up to the barrier, swiped our Camping Car Parks card across the reader and the barrier went up immediately. Approached the barrier to leave the next morning, swiped the card again and was told 'not enough credit' put our debit card in, entered pin, credit added, swiped card again barrier opened and out we went.
Incidentally it goes down to €8.40 once you have their card.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but just wanted to say that we are on one of these at the moment, at Villandry. Wasn’t planned, we just decided to come here, and the aire was one of the CCP ones.

Nice situation, quiet, some may say it’s expensive, but the access to the borne, electricity, and WiFi are all free,and unlike some free WiFi it’s actually a pretty good connection.

The price goes down quite a bit at the end of October, and with most sites being closed over winter, I can see us using more of these CCP Aires as a kind of reduced facility site.

Getting in for the first time was very easy, so I think they must have improved the process since people were having trouble.

Deleted User
They are a great addition to the mix of sites available in France. I ordered my card on line so no faffing about at the entrance and can top up on line at anytime. I have had barrier failures, however, a quick call and they open it remotely. The fact you can top up with water, empty grey and black waste and feel very secure makes them great value for money as part of the overall mix. The app allows you to see how many vans are on the Aire before you arrive so can decide if it is too quiet or too busy before you arrive, the map shows you clearly where they are and directions if required, a few photos as well. What more do you want from a private company? Free Aires are still available everywhere they just provide additional choice

Deleted User
Forgot to add, you get EHU for the price as well

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
After not thinking much of them in the past have come across some nice ones this year and used them.
The ones we used all had multilingual displays very easy to get our card and top up.
Can't understand why the French always take at least 20 minutes to get in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back