LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just reading a thread in another place on this subject.
So here is our phy...fil..thinking.
We try to use CL/CS's as much as poss..

No hook up.....Max £6
Hook up......Max £10
Odd occasion when we really want a specific area....Up to £14

Do you thnk we are too tight bearing in mind I am a Scot and Steph is a Yarkie?

We get a week off every month so it's not worth our while to go abroad just for the 5 days between travelling. Last two months we were on CL's at Ingleton and Buxton, hard standing and hook up at £8 a night. In the summer we were at two sites without hook up at £4 a night. It's fairly easy to find hook up CL/CS's at £8 a night except the main tourist areas like the Lake District but even there you can find them at £12 or less. Bear in mind we have no sprogs so just the two of us. :thumb:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I think you are absolutely right in your thinking. As members of the C&CC we have used a lot of their club sites, why we keep doing so I don't know. We have just had a week on one of their sites and yet again we have hardly made use of the facilities.
Even though our MH is only a little one, we have all we need on board so I (not yet WE) have made a conscious decision to make more use of CS's and THS next year (we did stay on 3 THS's this summer at around £5/6 per night). It just needs a bit more planning to find THS's en-route and in the areas we want to go. Not yet brave enough to wild camp but you never know!

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, we don't wild camp as we like a bottle of the red stuff of an evening and like to feel secure. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Totally agree Ken, why pay for facilities you don't need..

We used to do a lot of wild camping but after having a window smashed in Norfolk decided it was better to pay a few quid for a CL and get a decent nights sleep, rather than lying awake listing for prowlers..

Abroad we only ever use Aires or municipals .. big sites are not our cup of tea.

jim

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ken n Steph

I dont think your tight at all. You pay all this dosh for a MH which has everything you need self contained for at least 3 or 4 days without having to fill up or empty. Why the hell should you then fork out £20+ per night to stay on a campsite. A CL is more than adequate for a MH and often no sprogs or neighbours on top of you!

I notice you are just across the county from me (We are between Richmond and Barnard Castle) and I notice your not keen on wild camping. ITs not everyones cup of tea but me and Mrs D love it and we do love a drink as well. Up where we are there are loads of places to wild camp safely and your not far from wild camping legally in Scotland. We spend a lot of time wild camping on the Isle of Arran which I appreciate is not a weekend break but certainly worth it for 5 days or more. Totally safe, loads of spots by the sea. You can have a drink and wont be moved on or bothered. What we tend to do in the UK is look for a wild spot first and if we cant find anything get the laptop out and connect to the internet and find the nearest CL.

Where you are why dont you just drive up the moors a few miles from home and give it a go! If you dont like it you can just drive back home again.:Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Every four weeks Ken and Steph set off Link Removed

and indulge in Link RemovedLink Removed

but fears being pulled when drinking by this fella if wildcamping Link RemovedLink Removed

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On a serious note I feel the same as you do mate with regards to fee's (electrical prices is the big killers for sites though):winky:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do you thnk we are too tight bearing in mind I am a Scot and Steph is a Yarkie?
In the summer we were at two sites without hook up at £4 a night. It's fairly easy to find hook up CL/CS's at £8 a night except the main tourist areas like the Lake District but even there you can find them at £12 or less. Bear in mind we have no sprogs so just the two of us. :thumb:

No you're spot on. We've wasted too much going for the soft option. The UK meets organised by Funsters have been the cheapest and some of the best trips we've had.

Is there a good UK guide to sites that don't charge an arm and a leg ?

If only we had municipal sites like France ! I know one beauty -

Link Removed

Being an Olde Farte they charged me something like £8 with hook up and it's one of the nicest sites I've ever been on in one of the nicest places in the UK, apart from the tiny detail that it rained so hard a salmon could have swum up it.

Review added for Haughton Park.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We find the sites in the CC/CCC club site books. SWMBO's favourite hobby apart from ironing, hoovering and washing up is picking through the books for cheap sites. Sad ain't we? :roflmto:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Every four weeks Ken and Steph set off Link Removed

and indulge in Link RemovedLink Removed

but fears being pulled when drinking by this fella if wildcamping Link RemovedLink Removed

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On a serious note I feel the same as you do mate with regards to fee's (electrical prices is the big killers for sites though):winky:

Yep been on a few sites where they have a size limit yet there is plenty of room for even the biggest RV. I sometimes wonder, is it really the size or do they fear the leccie usage with the bigger vans ? :Eeek:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We find the sites in the CC/CCC club site books. SWMBO's favourite hobby apart from ironing, hoovering and washing up is picking through the books for cheap sites. Sad ain't we? :roflmto:

Not sad at all I think you can take great pleasure in finding a place that turns out to be really nice and its only cost you £7. Camping how it used to be. CL's are great. in fact I feel inspired, going to persuade mrs D to have a long weekend away in Flamborough theres a great site there, new this year and £9 a night I think. Dont know if you use the CC&C website but its good now for searching out CL's you can put your requirements in and find ones that are suitable then you can zoom in and get an aerial image of the site.

Just realised Im in the Caravan club (CC) not the other one!

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Really!!! :Eeek: ?

Yeah.. 'fraid, so..

at Aldeburgh , about five years ago when we had the Karmann C class van, we were parked on the sea defense wall just south of the town with 3 or 4 other vans.. a popular spot.
During the night we were awakened by the noise of someone hitting the plastic side window.. it was really scary, I got up and went to see what was going on .. saw 3 or 4 guys race off in a car .. the window was badly cracked and had to be renewed..

Anyway, since then we have never wild camped, in fact it took Jan a while to get over it and even after three years full time she still gets scared at times.. :Sad:

Aldeburgh have since banned overnight parking there, the reason give is that the campers were leaving rubbish and dumping porta loos onto the beach and there is perfectly good camping site in the town which they should use.. I'm more inclined to think the owner of said site is on the town council ..

jim

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
John ( Roadrunner)

What is the Policeman checking in your posting, looks rude :Blush::ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

Mick

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
The sooner the UK wakes up and provides touring motorhome with municiple / commercial aires, stellplatz that are open 365 days a year the better I'll feel.
Even a change in local bye-laws allowing motorhomes to stay on carparks
overnight for a max 48hrs would be a start.

Remember all the sites, muddy fields to 5star luxury look the same once the curtains are drawn in the evening.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
THS's these are please ?

THS's are Temporary Holiday Sites that the Camping & Caravanning Club set up all over the country more or less throughout the year but especially at popular times e.g Easter, Spring Bank Holiday and of course throughout the summer months. They are run by the local branch and marshalled by dedicated members of the local branch. They can be for a week or up to eight weeks but normally you don't have to book and you can stay as long as you like. Often they are on sports fields, sometimes they have toilet facilities, rarely have hook-ups but the best part is the cost, usually between £5 - £7 per unit per night. Details of their locations is in the club's magazine.

Paul

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Thanx for explanation I should have known as I am a member but I am a newbie :Blush:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Thanx for explanation I should have known as I am a member but I am a newbie :Blush:
No problem, we all were newbies once. If you are a member of the C&CC, give a THS a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised, we were. These are the sort of rallies/meets were you DO get to talk to others and the marshalls are so welcoming. We only tried them fo the first time last year. This year we used 3 in August and were impressed by them all.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
No problem, we all were newbies once. If you are a member of the C&CC, give a THS a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised, we were. These are the sort of rallies/meets were you DO get to talk to others and the marshalls are so welcoming. We only tried them fo the first time last year. This year we used 3 in August and were impressed by them all.

As a newbie myself I must agree, we got our motorhome in June and have spent numerous weekends at meets organised by our local CC&C district association. These weekends have given us 'cheap' weekends away that are far enough to be away but close enough if there is a problem and we needed to get home. They also give you a chance to meet like minded people who are more than happy to share their experiences.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
THS. I always take the grankids to the one held at Blackpool(just outside really at Poulton) -Windy Harbour in August. Bit more expensive than the usual ths @£15 per night but you are still saving £10 a night on the sites usual charges and there you get full use of sites facilities swimming pool, club, shop,takeaway, fishing etc, plus elec hook up proper toilets/shower building. The kids enjoy the site so much its a fight to get them to go off-site to visit blackpool and the surrounding area itself. So worth paying the extra as it saves me a small fortune in admission fees to attractions and they have never yet used that kids statement we hear so often- I'm bored

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back