Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
When you take off to Spain for 3 months or so, what do you do if your MOT falls within the period that you are away.
I am diabetic and require tablets to control it. What do you do to maintain your prescription drug supplies when away ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant help with the pills but the MOT must be current for the whole of the trip so it looks like you need to have it tested earlier than needed.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
When you take off to Spain for 3 months or so, what do you do if your MOT falls within the period that you are away.

The only solution I know of is to get the MOT done before you go away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Mot

Definately have it done before you go as you will be committing an offence if you try to enter the UK with a lapsed MOT. Just imagine coming back on a Sunday and having to stay say at Dover till Monday and THEN try an find an MOT garage to do it before being allowed to proceed Not worth the risk.

Don't know about tables tho. ask y:thumb:eek:ur pharmist

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have read in other post that a visit to your doctor and explain the situation and he/she should give you an 'extended' prescrition so you can get the amount you need before you go.

luckily its tablets and not insulin....having to ensure its keep cool all the time.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as for mot,s do it early. for prescriptions normally you can get 3mths from your doctor before you go . then take your prescription repeat form with you and put it in to a chemist where ever you arer .it normally will get your stuff. or take the box bottle in to a chemist. you normally pay about thesame as here. sometimes its slightly different to what you take here. never had a problem anywhere to get stuff. even without a prescription if you see a chemist they know what you need or send you to a doctor /hospital. like wise dentists i normally see one in morocco every year cheaper than here. jan my partner had quite extensive root canal work done last winter in maroc .this year her dentist here remarked what a good job had been done .if you go to distant countries and have any doubt about hygene take syringes with you and needles. we carry lots of stuff bought here in a health pack for travellers. cheers alan.
i used to take salin bottles when going deeper into africa just incase.most things are available anywhere in cities.

Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Never had a problem with getting a 3 month prescription off my doctor but I always carry a list of my medication as I believe you can get it over the counter in Spain. It says on the Direct Gov site that you MOT a vehicle up to one month before & have the certificate dated from when the old certificate runs out. I don't see that you should have a problem getting it done at any time before but don't know if they would add the extra month on? In the past I have managed to tax my van over a month before it was due as we would be out of the country when it expired.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you look on your mot certificate it will give you a date that is the earlyest you can get the new mot and preserve the date. if you go ealier than that you just get 12 months .it was possible to issue 13mth tickets at one time but it got stopped afew years ago. i,m sure geo will verify in a minute.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I am diabetic and require tablets to control it. What do you do to maintain your prescription drug supplies when away ?
GP's are now encouraging repeat prescription patients to sign a form authorising the GP to release six months of prescriptions. You then take these along to your local Pharmacy.

Initially I thought this a good idea for the patient. But it's not for the patients benefit. It's all about taking paperwork and time away from your GP so that it directly benefits them.....not you.

And if you think your Pharmacy will dish you out six months supply in one go, think again. They won't.

As for your MOT....by comparison thats simple. They are issued on a 12 monthly basis.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I had the same issue, got MOT early and 3 month perscription no problem. I also needed root canal work done in France, came to 340 Euros, claimed on travel insurance when I got home and got £300 back, result!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi cost 75 quid in maroc for my partners root canal work . i thought at the time it was cheap .she had to visit 3 times for almost an hour a time. most dentists in maroc seem to have trained in france. bit like the vets ,wonder if there,s a connection :ROFLMAO:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings All,

On the prescriptions theme can I give a big UP to the pharmacia's in Spain in general and their ability to understand my idiotic attempts to speak their language.

And for all those out there who are creaking and groaning and use ibuprofin for their ailment, can I point out that in Espana you can buy ibuprofin over the counter in strengths :thumb:600s and 800s. Means only a tab a day and much cheaper than in the UK

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
I've got a repeat for 6 months from the GP & have got LLoyds Pharmacy to collect it for me. They will even deliver to my address. In fact anyone I nominate ( wife, friend, daughter) can pick up the prescription & deliver it / post it to me. They dont seem to be too picky.

If you add this to the 3 months advance you can persuade the GP to give you, then that should give you 9 months cover. Not quite a year, but I've saved up a bit for emergencies/ hols:RollEyes: so I reckon I can squeeze out a years worth.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Greetings All,

On the prescriptions theme can I give a big UP to the pharmacia's in Spain in general and their ability to understand my idiotic attempts to speak their language.

And for all those out there who are creaking and groaning and use ibuprofin for their ailment, can I point out that in Espana you can buy ibuprofin over the counter in strengths :thumb:600s and 800s. Means only a tab a day and much cheaper than in the UK

and to get it you need to ask for Ibuprofeno for tablets or Espidifen - that is a soluble one goes clear when disolved in water and has a minty taste.
You can buy most medicine over the counter in spain including inhalers, antibiotics and they are not dear, so take your repeat prescription with you

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
You can buy most medicine over the counter in spain including inhalers, antibiotics and they are not dear, so take your repeat prescription with you

Even blood pressure tablets :whatthe: - they are about 20 euros for a month's supply. A Spanish prescription makes them just under 2 euro.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I've got a repeat for 6 months from the GP & have got LLoyds Pharmacy to collect it for me. They will even deliver to my address. In fact anyone I nominate ( wife, friend, daughter) can pick up the prescription & deliver it / post it to me. They dont seem to be too picky.

If you add this to the 3 months advance you can persuade the GP to give you, then that should give you 9 months cover. Not quite a year, but I've saved up a bit for emergencies/ hols:RollEyes: so I reckon I can squeeze out a years worth.
Your post is contradictory and confusing to those who are still unsure.

First you state
I've got a repeat for 6 months from the GP[end quote], then
If you add this to the 3 months advance you can persuade the GP to give you...[end quote]. You cannot have both a repeat and an advance.

The actual facts are that anyone on repeat prescription can ask their GP for six months of prescriptions. That does not entitle the patient to draw the entire lot in one go, but simply to go direct to the Pharmacy each month instead of having to ask the GP every month for a prescription.

There may be certain exceptions to the rule.
If for example the medication you are using could be dangerous in high quantities, then there is no way on planet earth any Pharmacist would dispense two, three or more months in one go. But if the medication is not considered dangerous, then they will allow a larger supply than normal.

The other reason for these restrictions is that all GP's who have patients with repeat prescriptions are expected to call that patient in for a medical review every year.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hope this address may be of use to some of you .we bought sterile medical equipment pack off them actually bought allsorts ..MASTA,MEDICAL ADVISORY SERVICES FOR TRAVELLERS ABROAD LTD. london school of hygiene and tropical medicine,keppel street london wc1e 7ht tel 01713234547. ...think the number as changed now. we had mossie nets extra syringes and all sorts of stuff. was more for our travels in africa n asia but could be of help anywhere with the aids ,hepatitis problems in the world even came with dental and vialon insyte (for intravenous drip). cant remember the prices but wasnt alot. actually we never used any . like i said earlier we took saylin as well ,but we was travelling around the coast of africa. ido still carry them in the truck as you never know .good insurance is never needed we hope. it comes with a certificate you get signed by your doctor to help when crossing borders .hope it helps if you need it. cheers alan.

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
our doctor will give us 3 months worth and we tend to stock pile a bit before hand ,but we do not worry as you can get most things over the counter in spain if you run out , just take the packet into the pharmacy :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back