Oct 3, 2016
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since Sept 2016
Hello all,
We are looking to get a Gaslow system installed as we are planning a long trip to Europe next spring.
My local dealer says that this must be fitted by a Gas Safe approved fitter but I thought this was only required if the MH will be hired out or lived in permanently. Can this be fitted by a competent DIY'er (i.e me) or is he correct?
He also said that the filler would best be fitted in the skirt below the gas locker. I have a Frankia A class MH where the gas locker is located just behind the front wheel arch on the drivers side. I have some concerns about potential damage due to stones etc. picked up by the wheel and also potential corrosion issues (incidentaly, I think this is covered in regulation 7 of the GSUI Regulations that should be adhered to by a Gas Safe installer!).
To avoid any potential problems, I was hoping to fit the filler into the gas locker door. I know that I would need to be careful about stressing the hose when the door is opened, so what I want to do is to fit a right angle adator on the filler and use a long hose (1.5mtrs) and separately secured with a saddle clamp to the door. The hose would then loop down and up again to the gas bottle with another clamp somewhere near the gas bottle. This will avoid any movement on the gas connections when the door is opened and the long loop of hose should be able to take up the movement without damage.
Does this approach seem ok to you? Any other potential pitfalls you can think of?

One last point, if I did fit it myself, how can I test it without any gas in the system? Can I just fill it with a small amount of gas (0.5 ltrs or so) to start with?

Thanks
Phil

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ebay gas bottle filling adaptor .
just weigh the bottle then with a bit of arithmatic you will know how much to put in . saves a fortune.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
My filler was fitted just above the gas locker door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last place you want to fit the filler is in the locker door. The sill is by far the best place for it, when fitting in the sill best to use the small square filler inlet about 40mm sq as opposed to the round ones that are about 75mm.
You can fit it in the sill further away from the wheel arch inlet hoses come in varying lengths, the inlets are fairly heavy brass unlikely to be affected by corrosion.
After fitting you need to fill the bottles completely to ensure gas in both.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I have a Frankia A class as well and when I came to look at where to fit the filler for an Alugas bottle I found the sill had to much of a curve on it,so manufactured a bracket and fitted the small square fill point in the top left hand corner of the gas locker. Not had a problem filling anywhere in Europe,even got it filled by an attendant at a Repsol garage in Spain and they are meant to be a bit difficult about opening locker doors.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I have just had mine fitted onto the locker door. It was fitted to the door by the dealer.
Once it is fitted you will very seldom have to open the door. In my case the door fills the full space of the locker and the fitter suggested it was the only place it could go.

My last van had it on the locker door 3 years no problems.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It does specifically say in gaslows instructions not to fit filler in door.
So why do it??

Screenshot_2016-04-26-10-06-53.png

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
ebay gas bottle filling adaptor .
just weigh the bottle then with a bit of arithmatic you will know how much to put in . saves a fortune.
Don't think it would be necessary to weigh the bottles. If it were necessary, whether filtered by self or professionally, the weight woukd be known.
As regards how much to in? How would knowing the weight empty determine how much you can put in? I think this eludes to the 80% full area. The cylinder system is designed to stop filling at 80%. The 20% remaining is the ullage that is required with this type of cylinder. The remaining space (ullage) may vary from different products bit in this case, it's 80% full. Again, unless crucial to overall weight, knowing the weight of the cylinders is irrelevant, full or nominally empty. (Once used, a cylinder is never empty. It's always classes as nominally empty unless it's been purged and cleaned and a certificate obtained)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I fitted mine and it was perfectly alright. Used the stainless steel braided hoses throughout. Cannot see that you would have any problem with stones damaging these. You could always fit them in a flexible conduit in the exposed area if you were that concerned.
Personally I would fit the filler in the skirt.
If you use Ptfe tape on the joints make sure you use the gas type and not the water.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My A class Hymer gas locker layout is similar to yours. I fitted it all myself with no problems. The filler fits nicely into the skirt. Mind you I measured for it about 10 times before I drilled into my brand new motorhome!!

Here is a piccy of it when finished

P1020694.JPG

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
So why do it??
Our's is fitted in the locker door, after speaking to a fitter he advised fitting as near to the hinge as possible & using a 90 degree adaptor, (common sense really) Reason,1, both the lpg garage's local to me said if they see someone faffing around on their knees or with the locker door open, it makes them suspicious, 2, one of the pumps is not covered so when its raining I wound be getting wet knee's if it was fitted in the skirt.(y)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Had mine fitted below gas locker by Autogas... All works fab :)
If i'm due to fill... I turn off gas... Drive to station.. Turn gas back on at next stop..
Although I have done it (turned gas off) whilst at the pump prior to filling :)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
A dealer fitted ours in the door. The action of opening the door made a kink in the hose. Gas leak, dangerous. We had to buy a different connection to the one provided by gaslow. I wouldn't fit in a door had it been my choice.
The gaslow instructions says not to fit in a door. Obviously the fitter hadn't read the instructions.
Plus we always turn off gas when filling.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Fitted filler on a bracket behind door, Dethleffs has a sliding carriage for bottles, which allows removal over filler should bottles be removed. Re DIY installation no problem, re testing fill with 5l of gas and test joints with soapy water.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Don't think it would be necessary to weigh the bottles. If it were necessary, whether filtered by self or professionally, the weight woukd be known.
As regards how much to in? How would knowing the weight empty determine how much you can put in? I think this eludes to the 80% full area. The cylinder system is designed to stop filling at 80%. The 20% remaining is the ullage that is required with this type of cylinder. The remaining space (ullage) may vary from different products bit in this case, it's 80% full. Again, unless crucial to overall weight, knowing the weight of the cylinders is irrelevant, full or nominally empty. (Once used, a cylinder is never empty. It's always classes as nominally empty unless it's been purged and cleaned and a certificate obtained)
it was about knowing how much is in the bottle . if you know the tare of bottle .usually stamped on the bottle .weigh it and take off the tare ,thats how much liquid you have inside.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
A gas safe or the old Corgi gas fitters have nowt to do with motorhomes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
View attachment 127406 View attachment 127407

Had mine fitted below gas locker by Autogas... All works fab :)
If i'm due to fill... I turn off gas... Drive to station.. Turn gas back on at next stop..
Although I have done it (turned gas off) whilst at the pump prior to filling :)
I certainly wouldnt fit a filler like that......
EXTREMELY prone to damage from road humps etc.
So far you've been lucky.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it was about knowing how much is in the bottle . if you know the tare of bottle .usually stamped on the bottle .weigh it and take off the tare ,thats how much liquid you have inside.
And unless you completely empty or remove and weigh the partly used bottle the tare weight is pointless.
Most refillable bottle owners refill BEFORE running out.
Cheap ebay refill adaptors are both dangerous and illegal.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
IMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG
Here are couple of pictures of my install.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not ideal for cornish lanes with rocks hidden behind what looks like a grassy bank.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

It's no lower than the step assembley!.. And that is more central - so would ground first - pivot rule...

So I think it'll be fine ... We did discuss it at the time of fitting :)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
not ideal for cornish lanes with rocks hidden behind what looks like a grassy bank.

Grassy bank "land mines" would be on near side - this is fitted on off-side :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Another advantage of skirt fitting is water ingress will have little or no effect on the bodywork as they are mostley solid fibre glass
whereas door panel fitting and water ingress would /could mean major expense for new door or door panel at least

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back