Hydra trail easy lifter scooter trailer (1 Viewer)

Ashwells

Free Member
Sep 23, 2016
Ongar essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuild
Exp
4th year
I have been using the Htydra trail trailer on my Pilote 740 since June and have had no problems the scooter I currently have have a Peugeot Tweet , only weighs in at 109kg so very light , but I would like upgrade to a 300CC Kawasaki J300 which is 191Kg , has anyone had any experience with towing a scooter or motorbike of this weight with the hydra trail , I know the weight limit on the trailer is 250kg but I am worried that the extra weight may cause issues. would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_7366.JPG
    IMG_7366.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 188

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I towed a 300cc Vespa using a hydra trail and have not had a issue but a friend who uses his for 400cc Honda cracked his.

Both Of us have not had any of issues with the tow bar and are generally very pleased with them.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
As mike said I have a Honda 400 super 4 (195Kg) on mine and traveled over 8000 miles across europe with it on the back with no problems apart from last year it cracked just under the front wheel of Moto (Italian roads you could lose a MH in probably). I've had it plated underneath so it won't break now. The lastest model has been redesigned so this issue will not happen again as the deck is full width instead of 7/8ths of the length.
I have no problem continuing to use as is, good solution to a difficult problem.
The only facet to mention is because the tyres are small the wear is accelerated over that one might expect, but at ÂŁ38 for a pair of new tyres on wheels I don't mind every couple of years.
With it on the back you don't know it's there (don't put it on the back of your car !).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ashwells

Ashwells

Free Member
Sep 23, 2016
Ongar essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuild
Exp
4th year
Sound's encouraging, my Hydra trail is the latest model so hopefully all the teething problems have been ironed out , certainly is a talking point at most sites .

OP
OP
Ashwells

Ashwells

Free Member
Sep 23, 2016
Ongar essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuild
Exp
4th year
don't know but I believe the original design had one wheel , my one has two . we got our new MH in May and was looking for a solution that was not going to affect the payload
the Hydra Trail look like the perfect solution ,

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Any idea when the "latest model" of the Hydratrail became available?

I can't help with a date but the earlier version has a box section that the front wheel drops into.
As said the checker plate deck extended only along to this part.
I have not seen a new version but I assume the checker plate decking goes across the whole length of the easy lifter.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
20160407_163323.jpg
20160407_163227.jpg
20160407_163227.jpg

This is the repair to the underside, the later model has a deck that runs completly from one side to the other with this well where the front wheel drops into which is 3mm steel which is a bit weak really, but the 5mm plate under will stop any future problems.
Hope this helps.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What is reversing like with these? From what I remember the smaller the trailer the more difficult it is to reverse. I never has a problem with my caravan but taking the 4' trailer to the tip was a nightmare!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
What is reversing like with these? From what I remember the smaller the trailer the more difficult it is to reverse. I never has a problem with my caravan but taking the 4' trailer to the tip was a nightmare!

They are solid with the tow bar and don't articulate like a trailer. As you reverse the wheels spin round like a shopping trolley.

You can see the plate that bolts onto the towbar and the "Y" shape mounting that the pins fit into.

The actual position of the bike behind the motorhome never changes, it only articulates up/down on the pivot arms.

Attachments

• DSC_0402.jpg
    DSC_0402.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 115

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Had mine towing a 200kg scooter, never had any issues mentioned above, i did have to get my motorhome towbar strengthened as it was quite flimsy and it did bend after only a couple of hundred yards of picking up "then" new scooter. Once that was sorted i never had any issues, previous to that i had another scooter on the back which was lighter at around 100kg and again no issues on a 3000 mile round trip. If i had not brought a Harley i would still have it now but have no need for it so it was sold a couple months ago to a member on here. It is a solid piece of kit and you dont really know it is there, of course you have to allow for the extra length on swing outs.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I concur with the two replies above, it's fixed to the tow bar so does not move side to side just up and down, and you don't know it's there on a MH just need to allow for the extra length on the back. This design means if you happen to take a wrong turn on your journey doing a three point turn is easy.
NOTE: do not out one on the back of a car though, I had a Volvo estate (old heavy) and to say it was tail happy would be a gross under statement, in the wet you could win a drifting contests !

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
I have been using the Htydra trail trailer on my Pilote 740 since June and have had no problems the scooter I currently have have a Peugeot Tweet , only weighs in at 109kg so very light , but I would like upgrade to a 300CC Kawasaki J300 which is 191Kg , has anyone had any experience with towing a scooter or motorbike of this weight with the hydra trail , I know the weight limit on the trailer is 250kg but I am worried that the extra weight may cause issues. would appreciate any advice.
What tyre pressures are you currently using on the wheels of the easy lifter?

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I run my tyres on the easy lifter at @26 PSI and all seems to work OK. If they are over inflated it will bounce up and down a lot and really sub 200Kg (100Kg per tyre) is not a lot for tyres of this type.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I have no experience of using a Hydratrail, but I'm curious as to how they perform considering they have no suspension or damping ?
There are a couple of similar "trailers" of French design which are a lot more expensive but seem to perform very well, Google 'remorque' or check out youtube.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Saw a homemade one utilising twin towing brackets in France - chatted to the owner he was delighted with it for his three wheeled scooter, seemed perfect to me. I have 2 electric bikes weighing 25 kilos each and currently have to lift them on to the cycle rack at about 4 feet off the ground!!
At 73 I'm getting a bit old and doddery for this evolution and would welcome an easier method of transporting the bikes!
I have discounted the regular tow ball mounted brackets though they would be ideal but with the fairly significant weight of the towbar assembly, the substantial carrier weight and due to licencing & current MoHo restricted to 3.5 tonne limit they are a non starter.
However if the weight of the bikes and maybe some other "bits & Pieces" supported by the extra wheels all would be sweetness and light!! (pun intended) ;)

Two questions though:-

1. Ferry rules - is it a trailer and charged as such? is it a rear mounted cycle carrier? or do you just quote the overall length including hydratrail as part of the MoHo?

2. More crucially if stopped by the Police or VOSA and directed to a weighbridge what happens then? Is the Hydratrail classified as a trailer and removed before weighing ? (y) or classified as part of the vehicle and weighed as such? (n)

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
From my own experience and having a camera on the tow bar as well as up high both connected to an on/off switch so I can view both simultaneously on my screen, I can say the tyres follow the road surface very well, not bouncing around at all. Remember the bike has its own suspension which takes up the bumps in the road. If you try and tow with no bike on board then yes it bounces up and down like you would not believe because it's light.
One can make the unit jump up into the air if you drive very vigorously but your MH will suffer it's contents as well so your unlikely in normal journeying to reach this level of ill advised driving.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I run my tyres on the easy lifter at @26 PSI and all seems to work OK. If they are over inflated it will bounce up and down a lot and really sub 200Kg (100Kg per tyre) is not a lot for tyres of this type.
That seems very low,i was told by easylifter that it should be between 45-50psi, perhaps it has changed. Mine seemed ok on 45psi with 200kg on it.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
The French version run with either two tow balls or on tow ball and a wide angle stabiliser bar, reducing the twisting action on the centre tow ball an close stabiliser as on the Hydratrail

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
1. Ferry rules - is it a trailer and charged as such? is it a rear mounted cycle carrier? or do you just quote the overall length including hydratrail as part of the MoHo?

2. More crucially if stopped by the Police or VOSA and directed to a weighbridge what happens then? Is the Hydratrail classified as a trailer and removed before weighing ? (y) or classified as part of the vehicle and weighed as such? (n)

1) When we use the ferry recently I include it in the length of the MH as it can be demonstrated that it's bolted to the MH, I did have a question from the lady but when I pointed to the bolts all was good, so no trailer charge.

2) Now here you have identified the area of discussion: The answer is you would argue which ever way you wanted the result.
A) if you get stopped for speeding (weight dependant don't forget) it's part of your vehicle so not restricted to trailer speeds unless than over 3.5 tons.
B) If you are asked stopped for weight and you are running close to limit it's a trailer. And the bolt/clips are there for safety reasons ! But I think they would be fed up waiting for you once you explain to them you have to unload the bike (slowly) and then dismantle the hydrotrail off the back. Even then your MH should not be over weight and the railer certainly won't.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Is there a consensus on tyre Pressures?

Hope others can contribute. As previous I use @26PSI after looking at the wear pattern after many miles and find higher pressures create tyre wear of central tread high wear, outer tread no wear, which tends to indicate over pressure so found 26 OK.
What experience have others had ?

Dave Marshall

Free Member
Feb 7, 2017
east yorks
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp

Dave Marshall

Free Member
Feb 7, 2017
east yorks
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Bought my hydra trail last march to carry my Kawasaki j300 , have got Bessacar p765e and the handling is not really affected . Upgrading to Autotrail Comanche at the end of the month and will have to have a tow bar fitted a bit unsure if it has to be an approved model . Have been in touch with Armitages who say that hydra trails are not legal and given that fact it would not matter if it was an approved bar or not . Anybody got any idea ?
20160501_145336.jpg
20160501_145336.jpg

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
@John745 the weight affecting speed limits is 3.05t not 3.5t.
I am currently going through the process of purchasing a towbar for my Dethleffs and I am specifying a type approved one with a 2-bolt fixing which will take either the Hydratrail or standard ball. I am doing this because I will intermittently tow my trailer with the Wing in so it has to have a CofC.
Re. Is it a trailer or not is nearly as bad as A frames. Until there is a definitive ruling it's down to whether you want to risk it.
If it's a trailer then you will be restricted on speed and lane usage on motorways. However it won't affect the weight.
If it's not a trailer then it's mass will be added to that of the motorhome and could well take you over it's MGW. Invariably it will take you above 3.05t so you will still be restricted on speed but not lane usage. That's one of the reasons I've gone up in MGW with the Dethleffs.
Just had another thought, if it's not a trailer then the "attachment" is not a towbar and therefore wouldn't need approval. However whether it would be classed as modifying the base vehicle chassis and then comes under some other legislation is open to further conjecture. As I said, this could be another A frame type thread. ;)

Last edited:

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I think all Motorhomes after 2012 must be type approved mines a 2013 and had to be, If you use tolls in EU you will be classed as another axle, three axles, and if you get a tag axle motorhome four axles, you will pay group four HGV prices at tolls.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back