CBE Battery Power Distribution Unit (CSB-2) (1 Viewer)

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
When I fitted my solar panels two years ago I also fitted a CSB-2 unit to supply some charge to the engine battery.

Recently I've noticed that when the green LED is on the engine battery is not showing any increase in voltage against that when the unit is off (LED not lit).
The engine battery is now 11 years old and does fall to 12.3v or thereabouts after a few days off charge, there are a few parasitic loads like the alarm system, radio memory, etc., however it goes to 13.2v when on EHU.

Is the CSB-2 RIP, two years in not much of a life.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Could be
Nothing lasts even my battery master gave up at 8 yrs
I've fitted a switch now for a direct connection whilst in storage and a battery master for while in use

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Be aware tho that the CSB2 does not begin transfering charge until the leisure battery reaches 13.6 and the starter battery won't necessarily mimic the leisure battery voltage. You need an ammeter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Be aware tho that the CSB2 does not begin transfering charge until the leisure battery reaches 13.6 and the starter battery won't necessarily mimic the leisure battery voltage. You need an ammeter

Today the solar was at just at float as the leisure batteries were fully charged and sitting at 13.4v, so I put on the inverter and some load which caused the battery voltage to initially drop and the solar charger to run the voltage up to 14.0v or thereabouts before settling back down again, the input voltage at the CSB-2 tracked the B2 voltage . All the while the output to B1 remained unchanged at 12.3v, the same as the voltage at the battery itself so it looks like the CSB-2 isn't kicking in despite the green LED being on.

There is no mention on the leaflet which came with the CBS-2 of what the output voltage to B1 should be.

Is the output voltage normally the same as the input voltage when the unit is active, if that's the case then mine seems to be definitely in need of replacement.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In theory the recipient battery has to be a lower voltage for current to flow

OP
OP
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Sorted.

Got delivery of new CSB-2 today and replaced the suspect unit, which was just two years in use.
All now as it should be again.

Lesson learned - just because the green LED indicating charge going to B1 is lit doesn't mean the unit is actually sending charge to B1.
Note to self - when relying on CSB-2 check B1 output regularly.

OP
OP
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Below is a photo of the back of the faulty CSB-2 unit which I replaced to-day, there is what looks like an overheat or burn mark around the double blue wire loop which is embedded in the white sealing material, there's a bit of a 'burnt electrics' smell of the back of the unit too.
That mark probably explains why the smoke detector over the various electronics in the garage went off 'mysteriously' for a minute or so a couple of months ago.
CSB-2 burn mark.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back