Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Some advice please.....

We have had some problems with engine batteries which are hopefully now solved. Short trip to Dorset planned soon - would like to know if cab engine battery fails on departure morning is it OK to substitute the leisure battery to get us home?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If it fits I don't she why not as lesuer battery's are just starter baaterrys with difrent labiles
If you get your shelf a desulfating battery charger you should be abil to recuver your starter battery as long as it shows 12v after a normal charge and standing do 24hrs to get rid of surface charge desulfating your battery two or three times a year will increase its life my a long way I don't buy new battery's I desulfating old ones had one in my car almost a year now and it is fine
Problem is during the summer that don't get worked Enoch and when winter comes that fail running the battery down a bit with lights on then giving it a good run helps to get rid of the sulfate on the plates
Bill

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
in an emergency yes but leisure batteries dont realy like starting engines its also unlikley that they are physically the same size to fit in the holder
in an emergency i would use the leisure to jump start the van once and then go direct to home or garage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Better to connect the leisure battery to the engine battery for a couple of hours, then hopefully the engine battery will get enough charge to start the engine. Disconnect before starting doing it this way you won't cane your leisure batteries.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Better to connect the leisure battery to the engine battery for a couple of hours, then hopefully the engine battery will get enough charge to start the engine. Disconnect before starting doing it this way you won't cane your leisure batteries.
the problem with that is if the Cab battery has a dead cell it will drain the leisure battery without putting much if any power into the cab battery,
as been said jump start it from the leisure battery and it will be fine,

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
the problem with that is if the Cab battery has a dead cell it will drain the leisure battery without putting much if any power into the cab battery,
as been said jump start it from the leisure battery and it will be fine,
Trueif it is short circuit but I would always check battery voltages before doing anything, it will give you a good idea of state of play. Obviously nothing with happn if a cell is open circuit.

Upvote 0
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Problem is during the summer that don't get worked Enoch and when winter comes that fail running the battery down a bit with lights on then giving it a good run helps to get rid of the sulfate on the plates
Bill

If you don't mind me asking Bill, how do you go about removing the sulphate between the batteries plates? I used to be able to buy stuff that did this job, but it was in an old Motor Factors & its not there anymore.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If you don't mind me asking Bill, how do you go about removing the sulphate between the batteries plates? I used to be able to buy stuff that did this job, but it was in an old Motor Factors & its not there anymore.
Buy a battery charger with a recovery mantanance mode I am in the prose's of trying to get sum stuff from the USA but having a few problems with HM customs
Others a lot of snake oil remidays out thare that don't do the job de sulfate chargers ate the best way I do six at a time with my one
Bill

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back