Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Hi. We have an 80w solar-panel charging 2 leisure batteries. (Starter batteries NOT connected to solar-panel) - If we wanted to charge-up the batteries with a mains charger, at home, would we have to disconnect the panel while using the mains charger? Thanks for any advice! :thumb:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
No, your van should be wired so that when you are on hook up [ mains connection ] your batteries [ALL] should be charged from your on board battery charger and when fully charged the charger will be turned off automatically and solar panel should have a regulator to stop any more charge reaching batteries until required.:thumb::thumb: on some vans ,and my ex Eura Mobil was one ,you could switch the battery charger manually,but on my present Hymer all is automatic.:thumb::thumb:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
St.Cyr, you don't say whether your conversion is wired as per a modern motorhome (when the above advice applies) or if you intend just connecting a free standing charger to your battery.
Depending on the make/wiring of your solar panels there could be issues with the latter method.
If in doubt consult your solar panel instructions.

OP
OP
St.Cyr

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
St.Cyr, you don't say whether your conversion is wired as per a modern motorhome (when the above advice applies) or if you intend just connecting a free standing charger to your battery.
Depending on the make/wiring of your solar panels there could be issues with the latter method.
If in doubt consult your solar panel instructions.

Hi. As far as I can see the solar-panel just charges the 2 leisure batteries. It has not been altered at all since we acquired the van ... Was just wanting to check that I wouldn't damage the solar gubbins by charging with a normal mains charger - thought may be best to disconnect the solar panel while using the charger ... Not having done the conversion ourselves it's taking a while to suss out the electrics!

Thanks for all the help so far!! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my 120w panel is connected to the mains charger output (12v) wires and i dont disconnect the panel when on hookup.

cant see any difference between a standalone charger and the onboard mains charger as the solar panel will have a blocking diode (possibly 2) to stop any current returning to the panel.

OP
OP
St.Cyr

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Thanks very much for the help! Just wanted to charge up the leisure batteries with a mains charger - to help out the solar-panel while the days are short and dull, without blowing anything up! Obviously we could disconnect the s/p while using the stand alone charger - presumably when it's reconnected it'll just resume working as normal ... ?

:Smile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi. We have an 80w solar-panel charging 2 leisure batteries. (Starter batteries NOT connected to solar-panel) - If we wanted to charge-up the batteries with a mains charger, at home, would we have to disconnect the panel while using the mains charger? Thanks for any advice! :thumb:

:Cool: NO. I have been doing just that for the last 2 days bringing my batteries back up to full charge so I can then equalize them with the Solar Controller. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back