what do you do to get motorhome ready for winter (1 Viewer)

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
'Winterising your motorhome is even more important as winters getting harsher'

Hmmm, not sure thats right. Certainly not in the UK.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
for winter its best to fill up with water as often as you can.
make sure you have a spanish gas bottle etc . load the camper up with dry and tinned food in uk. then catch a ferry to spain .
its wise sometimes to not venture too far inland as inland means going as high as ben nevis sometimes so you can get a visit by the three degrees . mind they could keep you warm at night .ha ha .
but best follow the coast . one way or the other . .
make sure you have a full gas bottle as you leave spain for portugal as gas can be a bit dearer in portugal.
but there are places in portugal that will fill uk bottles .
also beer and wine can be cheaper in spain so dont get caught out .
in spring . fill up with fuel,also beer wine etc and catch the ferry back to uk. april seems like a good time or even may.
when you get to uk , find that thick wooly jumper as it might be cold here .
hope that helps . hee hee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having never drained down a motorhome in my life I would not know where to start. Come to think about it, I have no intention of learning.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Having never drained down a motorhome in my life I would not know where to start. Come to think about it, I have no intention of learning.
i think you have drained down a few bottles though ,ha ha .
do you find in winter some times your cold water is quite warm . i have . hee hee.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Between our short winter trips, I just switch off the pump and drain the water tanks ( a single valve on ours and most if not all vans). A couple of days before the next trip, I refill the water, put the heating on low and make sure the water heater is on and working. Everything else is left as normal.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Sorry, just realised, I answered the title rather than the actual question.
My dad bought a cover for one of his motor homes. It marked the paintwork where it rubbed in the wind and must have been a right pain to put on.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Check the heater works in case of emergency and put 2 slankets in the wardrobe, just in case.

Hymie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Covers are great....if you store your van indoors.

Wind will move the cover around and scratch the paint/gelcoat, even those cover which claim to be soft, and if you have anything with corners on the roof (solar panal etc) the corners will rub through the cover.
The cover will also hold in any moisture/condensation.

Best thing is ensure good ventilation, open cupboard doors to allow airflow and remove soft furnishings.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Best thing is to use it. I run mine to and from work a couple of times a week in the winter and try and get away for at least 1 weekend a month.I leave it with taps open and pump off and if there has been a frost overnight I run the deisel heater on the way. If the weather looks like it is going to be a prolonged cold spell I might drain the tank but then again I might not.. In the summer I fill whenever I get the chance whereas in the winter I tend to run around with under 1/2 a tank most of the time.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I frequently get asked about using covers and have seen some absolute horrors of damage they have done. However some owners feel that a cover is the only answer due to storage location (under trees) and other factors. If you must use a cover ensure that it is secured tightly and cannot move as any movement WILL cause damage, also it is essential to air the van frequently even if the cover is a so called breathable it stops airflow through roof vents leading to stagnant moist air in the van. This will result in a very fetching cover of green or white mould over the interior of the van.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
for winter its best to fill up with water as often as you can.
make sure you have a spanish gas bottle etc . load the camper up with dry and tinned food in uk. then catch a ferry to spain .
its wise sometimes to not venture too far inland as inland means going as high as ben nevis sometimes so you can get a visit by the three degrees . mind they could keep you warm at night .ha ha .
but best follow the coast . one way or the other . .
make sure you have a full gas bottle as you leave spain for portugal as gas can be a bit dearer in portugal.
but there are places in portugal that will fill uk bottles .
also beer and wine can be cheaper in spain so dont get caught out .
in spring . fill up with fuel,also beer wine etc and catch the ferry back to uk. april seems like a good time or even may.
when you get to uk , find that thick wooly jumper as it might be cold here .
hope that helps . hee hee.

You took the words out of my mouth,,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back