Tyre Monitoring Systems - In Practice (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Having experienced a four year old Uniroyal tyre delaminate on the back axle a year ago I'm now even more cautious about tyre condition, pressures and weight on the axle than I was previously.

I've just ordered a Tyrepal Solar 4 which is still on a promotional price of £99.99 but with CC discount of 20% comes down quite nicely to make it what seems a good bargain.

I'm wondering what running characteristics those that already have them see displayed so I can gauge whats normal and whats not!

I normally run at 60psi front and 65psi rear. I'm assuming that should increase over journey time, but to what average is considered normal and what would be a sign of a problem? I'm assuming decreasing pressure is more of a concern indicating a puncture and then running low increases potential for a blowout?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Expect to see a 10 psi increase in pressure as the tyre warms up, although I don't find that the temperature reading goes up that dramatically but I have the sensors inline with a valve extension pipe as opposed to the usual cap sensor, your own experience will soon tell you what is normal for your van. A drop in pressure would be worth worrying about and would set the alarm off on the unit.

All in all a good bit of kit for peace of mind.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Ran a tyre pal system for a about 18 months..
It was good ,but one sensor packed in and had to be replaced in that time...
Two sensors were vandalised while parked up and when I tried to replace them tyre pal said they no longer supported my model but we're prepared to sell me the latest one at a good price... at the time another 140 odd pounds..
I don't call that good service and worked out at very expensive tyre pressure monitoring. .
May try another system when I'm over my grump lol.. cause they are nice...
Andy.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Two sensors were vandalised while parked up and when I tried to replace them tyre pal said they no longer supported my model but we're prepared to sell me the latest one at a good price... at the time another 140 odd pounds..
I don't call that good service and worked out at very expensive tyre pressure monitoring. .
Andy.

What kind or moron would want to vandalise a tyre valve...lot of sad sick people about!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Andy.
Thats why mine are behind the wheel trims Andy.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What kind or moron would want to vandalise a tyre valve...lot of sad sick people about!
Haha.. don't know.. happened while parked up in a port car park while I went over to arran as a foot passage. .
Think they were trying to remove them and damaged them..

Another point worth a mention... my locking rings were alloy and corroded badly.. if you didn't keep oiling them the grub screws seized. .
Andy

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i run tyrepal,and set my tyres at 60 psi all round,and see an increase in pressures to 68 rears and 65 fronts when motorway driving less when on A roads,i set the alarms at 72 high and 56 low,works for me(y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thats why mine are behind the wheel trims Andy.

Martin
Lol.. didn't have trims on me camper..... mine were on the end of the valve stem so for a trim to hide them it would be fitted incorrectly wouldn't it... and bending the valve stem..
Andy.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have 67 front 80 rear and they increase 10% usually 74 88. VERY hot weather will see a higher pressure but as long as no single tyre is behaving differently there is nothing to be concerned about

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Our 'New to us' Passat has tyre monitoring. It only seems to go up from 39 to 41 when warm.
Interesting (to me) is the fact that the tyres do vary in pressure by one or two every time I take it out. I'm putting that down to the monitoring system and not the actual pressure.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our fronts are 75 and the rears 55 as per Autotrail suggestion.
On a journey I see an increase ( average ambient temperature.. say 18c ) of about 6 or 7 psi

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Our Tyrepal sensors show a rise between 5 - 10 psi depending on air temperature. Last year, travelling on the hottest day of the year, on a motorway, the Temperature alarm went off. We pulled into a Service area, and parked up till it got a bit cooler outside.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Lol.. didn't have trims on me camper..... mine were on the end of the valve stem so for a trim to hide them it would be fitted incorrectly wouldn't it... and bending the valve stem..
Andy.
Andy I use these

TCSF-sensor-only-1024x646.png valve extension pipe to the sensor and then another extension through the wheel trim with a standard valve cap on and re-inflate in the normal way.

Martin

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
E
Our fronts are 75 and the rears 55 as per Autotrail suggestion.
On a journey I see an increase ( average ambient temperature.. say 18c ) of about 6 or 7 psi
Err! Are you sure that's the right way round?
Sounds a bit cock-eyed to me. :unsure:
Does it handle a bit funny?

Richard.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Anyone aware of any current offers for Tyrepal systems as I am currently looking to get one? Need an 8 valve system as would like trailer monitored as well.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What effect does that additional weight have on the wheel balance?
Apparently it's within the weight limits and does not affect balancing that's just for one valve cap though!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Anyone aware of any current offers for Tyrepal systems as I am currently looking to get one? Need an 8 valve system as would like trailer monitored as well.

I just looked here at the 8 valve system...but it wouldn't let me use the caravan Club discount code (20% 0ff), maybe because I used it this morning?

thttp://Broken Link Removed

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I just looked here at the 8 valve system...but it wouldn't let me use the caravan Club discount code (20% 0ff), maybe because I used it this morning?

thttp://Broken Link Removed
Thanks I tried the CC code yesterday but didn't work think it must be for a specific set.(y)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Slightly off topic but I have a set of the tyrepal solar 4's and have not yet fitted them. Reason is that , according to instructions, they should not be fitted on aluminium valve stems. When I looked at the valves on our ducato, they have metal stems ....... just don't know if they're aluminium or not (n) Anyone come across this before or do you think I'd be safe enough to fit them? Cheers. Bob.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin @funflair are they different sensors ore what, have you a link. Are they tyrepal?
Steve

Yes different Link Removed

You need a length of extension tube and then the flow through sensor and then either straight through a wheel trim or you you can add another extension pipe and take that out through the trim.

I use this system for the twin rear wheels where the inside wheel actually faces the wrong way so you need the extender anyway, I also used it on the front as it was already set up with extension pipes and the valve out of the centre of the trim so I just replaced the pipes so I could mount the sensor in the middle, I didn't want the standard cap as I worried it might get knocked off or nicked.

These are the extension pipes I used.

Link Removed

Martin

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Slightly off topic but I have a set of the tyrepal solar 4's and have not yet fitted them. Reason is that , according to instructions, they should not be fitted on aluminium valve stems. When I looked at the valves on our ducato, they have metal stems ....... just don't know if they're aluminium or not (n) Anyone come across this before or do you think I'd be safe enough to fit them? Cheers. Bob.

I would be very surprised if your valve stems are made from alloy which is quite a brittle metal. More likely to be chromed steel or a bronze/ brassy material.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
I would be very surprised if your valve stems are made from alloy which is quite a brittle metal. More likely to be chromed steel or a bronze/ brassy material.
I did wonder if that was the case Dave and Ginny. I presume it would be something to do with two incompatable metals being in contact rather than any issue with the pressure reading but I dunno o_O

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Yes different Link Removed

You need a length of extension tube and then the flow through sensor and then either straight through a wheel trim or you you can add another extension pipe and take that out through the trim.

I use this system for the twin rear wheels where the inside wheel actually faces the wrong way so you need the extender anyway, I also used it on the front as it was already set up with extension pipes and the valve out of the centre of the trim so I just replaced the pipes so I could mount the sensor in the middle, I didn't want the standard cap as I worried it might get knocked off or nicked.

These are the extension pipes I used.

Link Removed

Martin
Which extension pipe / hose Martin there's 8 on the link,think my rear wheel set up is the same as yours although it's the outside one which is the wrong way around! I've got those bent Riv type extenders on at the moment.

Cheers Simon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Simon @dabhand

I am not sure which ones I used now but I used two pipes so I could put the TyrePal sensor in the middle, if you are at Popeye's New Forest meet we could take my trim's off and have a look.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back