Spain in march (1 Viewer)

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all, having never been to Spain in the motorhome, we are looking at going in March 2018. We will only have 3 weeks at most off of work, so are thinking of a pet friendly cabin from Portsmouth to Santander, giving us 2 full weeks in Spain and then meandering up through France for a week to get on the tunnel back.
How soon do people book their ferry? At this time of year are the beaches dog friendly and would we struggle to get into Spanish Aires and are they plentiful like France?
Thanks in anticipation
Lel

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
2018 ??? That's some advance planning.... :)

Spain and the aires are nothing like France..
There are some village type ones but no where near like France, however the Spanish are catching on and new one's are coming online. Most are private owned and you pay. Some can be almost as much as a campsite..

Here is a link so you can check some out.. (y)

Link Removed

OP
OP
Leltel
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
I will be commiserating umm celebrating, my 25th birthday.......again ;) hence 2018.
And a good excuse to go further.
Thank you for the link
Lel :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As said by @tonka aires few and far between but there are some nice free ones as well,don't know about ferry as not used them as its a long crossing with our dogs and dog friendly cabins are very quickly booked so get in early.Spain is great in March and lots of beaches to take your dog on.(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
Leltel
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks @busby much appreciated.
Alan @Speve , just looked at the website , 2018 isnt on there yet :(
Will keep a close eye on the Brittany Ferries website, don't want my boys in their kennels...hubby can go in them before they do :love:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks @busby much appreciated.
Alan @Speve , just looked at the website , 2018 isnt on there yet :(
Will keep a close eye on the Brittany Ferries website, don't want my boys in their kennels...hubby can go in them before they do :love:
That's why we tunnel I don't fancy sleeping in one of them (y)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
A couple of thoughts.....Spain is A BIG country. In March the northern regions are cold. Very very cold. Lots of snow and ice around usually still. You'll need to be doing a long long drive down (and then back up again) through the entire country if it's southern Spanish winter sun you want. Maybe it's a big ask in march if you've only got maybe 3 weeks in total,including ferries and all travelling to/from and through,?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Brittany Ferries opened bookings for 2016/17 at the end of July, this year. So, keep an eye out at around the same time next summer. I got in quickly and booked a pet friendly cabin for Feb '17. Just one word of caution, it's supposed to be one dog per cabin, so it might be a good idea to ring BF and ask them about having more than one in yours. I've seen people with more than one dog, but it may depend on the breed.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
A couple of thoughts.....Spain is A BIG country. In March the northern regions are cold. Very very cold. Lots of snow and ice around usually still. You'll need to be doing a long long drive down (and then back up again) through the entire country if it's southern Spanish winter sun you want. Maybe it's a big ask in march if you've only got maybe 3 weeks in total,including ferries and all travelling to/from and through,?

Agree with this. I think I'd be looking to take the return ferry from Santander, too. That's what we did when we only had 3 weeks. We don't find the winter drive through France enjoyable, either, although others will feel differently.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes but we've been there in March for last five years and it's quite pleasant in around the Donana area also Tarifas not bad might get the odd bad day but usually starting to warm up a bit more by then.

OP
OP
Leltel
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Brittany Ferries opened bookings for 2016/17 at the end of July, this year. So, keep an eye out at around the same time next summer. I got in quickly and booked a pet friendly cabin for Feb '17. Just one word of caution, it's supposed to be one dog per cabin, so it might be a good idea to ring BF and ask them about having more than one in yours. I've seen people with more than one dog, but it may depend on the breed.

Thank you for that advice, i will ring them before hand, they are only smallish, so may get away with it ☺

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if possible can you take april .
april can be quite nice along the catarbria ,asturia coast. even into galicia . been doing it for years .
few campsites open but we free park. day here and there.
plymouth to santander . put dogs in kennel. dont have a cabin pay for a seat . but look around find a comfy bench to catch a kip. it can be cheaper and shorter ferry.
have fun .

OP
OP
Leltel
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, not too worried about warmth, camp all year as we get the chance any way. It will be nice to go somewhere different and see different scenery.
Snow on roads I wouldn't cope with though, Tel gets to drive in the snow!

OP
OP
Leltel
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
if possible can you take april .
april can be quite nice along the catarbria ,asturia coast. even into galicia . been doing it for years .
few campsites open but we free park. day here and there.
plymouth to santander . put dogs in kennel. dont have a cabin pay for a seat . but look around find a comfy bench to catch a kip. it can be cheaper and shorter ferry.
have fun .

Want to go for my birthday really, so March it will be. Won't put the boys in kennels :rolleyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can almost keep them out of the kennels if you stay up in the exercise area .
mind i used to ask to leave mine in my trailer . had a word with either the burser or even the captain once . they let me and organised visits .
the very north coast is far nicer than the south . plus if you want snow the pecos de europa are there for you. we have been doing end march april along that coast for years . sometimes go along the pecos in begining of aspril inland if we have been on the east coast during winter . but if been morocco come out early march and head up the portugese coast and along the top. great scenery and totally different to med spain.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I have had some lovely weather on The Costa Brava in March,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi, not too worried about warmth, camp all year as we get the chance any way. It will be nice to go somewhere different and see different scenery.
Snow on roads I wouldn't cope with though, Tel gets to drive in the snow!

There is usually plenty of sunshine even if the temps are low..BUSBY.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We went to Spain this year at the end of February. Dover-Calais 26th Feb and took 4 days to do the 'central' route Rouen-Chartres-Limoge-Toulouse-Perpignan and crossed into Spain at La Jonquera. This could have been done in half the time if tolls had been used. No problems at all with the weather. As soon as we crossed the border it started to get warmer and had a lovely four weeks in Northern Spain on the Med coast in March in shorts & T-shirt weather.

Returned in early April via Clermont-Ferrand and there was still snow on the tops. The savings by not paying for the long sea crossing would pay for the French Tolls and the Tunnel and you would not have to lose sight of your 'boys'

Some Funsters on here reckon they can be in Benidorm within 48 hrs of crossing the Channel

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We went to Spain this year at the end of February. Dover-Calais 26th Feb and took 4 days to do the 'central' route Rouen-Chartres-Limoge-Toulouse-Perpignan and crossed into Spain at La Jonquera. This could have been done in half the time if tolls had been used. No problems at all with the weather. As soon as we crossed the border it started to get warmer and had a lovely four weeks in Northern Spain on the Med coast in March in shorts & T-shirt weather.

Returned in early April via Clermont-Ferrand and there was still snow on the tops. The savings by not paying for the long sea crossing would pay for the French Tolls and the Tunnel and you would not have to lose sight of your 'boys'

Some Funsters on here reckon they can be in Benidorm within 48 hrs of crossing the Channel

A friend of mine did Benidorm to N.Wales in 25 hours using tolls and the tunnel in a car,,,told him he was mad,,,You can do it from Dieppe to Benidorm in two days not using French tolls quite easily if you are in a hurry. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back