LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Only been on the road since Wednesday and it seems the plates are like a magnet .
Stopped a time or two on the journey and each time , except one, knock knock couples an singles from the uk not seen another Brit for a while ,interesting all of them Bernard from Stirling (a member from the dark side )don't think I converted him :) even gave a card to the local plod who relieved me of €4 for overnight at Sabinanigo EHU and water ,interested in motorhomes and why I had a LHD on uk id.
Today pulled in for a cuppa see a Brit van conversion got yapping over a brew ,same sort of background as Ian n Helga fame.looking to buy a place on a budget,realy nice guy ,told him to join and pick the brains on the forum so if your reading Tony go on ,best £15 you could spend :)
Oh and a old chap push bike from Holland(three weeks ago) heading for Malaga not allowed to bike it through the Sompot tunnel filled up his water bottle as requested and a couple of cold coke cans he then headed up the side road over the mountains ,funny old world but great being on the road again (y)
IMG_20160929_175425_987.JPG

OP
OP
jollyrodger

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Good piccie.

Just to be semantic.....they aren't UK plates, but British plates.

Northern Ireland has a separate vehicle registration system.

I'll get my coat.......

To be sure :)
Originally French.registered in UK (Wales :() English flag so a Euro van perhaps :LOL:
IMG_20160930_220629_598.JPG

Getting my coat as well .....
245k41l.gif

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Mine is left hand drive with UK plates in German reg plate holders :D
Yup, got the German style holders. Only thing is, you get Germans pointing and asking "where are you from" !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In fact
FRENCH left hand drive van with UK plates in German holders :LOL:

I've had two really nice encounters with foreigners as a result that I recall (y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Some Brits only seem to want/be able to speak to other Brits or possibly a safe foreigner, ie Dutch as there's a good chance they'll speak English.

We have a Spanish registered van and rarely get spoken to by Brits on sites or aires unless we speak first. One Brit was so flustered when Martin spoke to him that his reply back was, sorry don't speak Spanish!!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When I was at the large Aire in Cahors I spied another Rapido 7090 in the far corner. I figured he'd eventually clock mine and come for a nosey. We were sat out having a drink and a chat when I spotted him walking slowly passed the back of our van. He was taken aback when I started talking to him in my limited French. He understood enough to know I offered to show him all my improvements (ameliorations) We spent half an hour having a right good time but I suspect he left feeling his 3500kg version was a little under the bar :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Reminds me of the time we arrived at Le Crotoy and needed change for the payment meter. I went round to several vans proffering a 2 euro coin asking "Bonjour monsiure/madame, avez vous deux euros pour la machine s'il vous plait?" They first few checked but didn't happen to have any. I saw a chap walking past and tried my luck with him. I can't remember his response but I could make out what he said as he found two euro coins. I responded with a cheery, "Merci monsiuer, au revoir" and as I turned to walk away he said (to himself) something in English! I said, are you English, then?" Yes, he replied and with some relief on both sides were able to continue a 'normal' conversation.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back