Portsmouth - Santander Ferry - Muzzles (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Anyone travelling on this crossing be aware that if you have a dog and you haven't got a muzzle for it then you will not be allowed to board. I arrived (very early thankfully) at check in and was directed to Portsmouth city centre to buy one - not a happy experience in my van at lunch time.

It's on all the blurb and the website but as far as I know it's never been adhered to for all dogs by the check in staff - but it is being now.

I discovered later that there was a serious incident on board ship yesterday which has resulted in them tightening up their policy.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I saw a few in the lift last year that didn't have a muzzle. What a pain having to go to Portsmouth for one!
We were sent to Calais ab few years back because the vet had done something wrong on the passport. That was a pain too, and cost us ā‚¬60.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a few years ago they actually were giving away muzzles on the santander plymouth route .
they have over the years had times when it was strict . others not .
i dont have a dog now but still carry them as i might get a dog one day.
as you say it is on the details .
i know they used to accept the halti my dog wore as a muzzle .
all makes sense really . it is a bit close quarters on board the boats .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When we first crossed in 2014 with our dog the rules were not strictly enforced but when we crossed earlier this year they were being. It makes sense because when everyone is crammed in the lift in particular, some dogs could feel very threatened being surrounded by many other dogs in a small space. A few dogs also wore muzzles in the "exercise yard" but that isn't a requirement, it is up to the owner.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
When we first crossed in 2014 with our dog the rules were not strictly enforced but when we crossed earlier this year they were being. It makes sense because when everyone is crammed in the lift in particular, some dogs could feel very threatened being surrounded by many other dogs in a small space. A few dogs also wore muzzles in the "exercise yard" but that isn't a requirement, it is up to the owner.
A good policy.

I wonder if they will enforce a similar policy in Basildon on a Friday night? :whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back