Motorcycle trailer - long or wide? (1 Viewer)

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
After all my prevaricating I am hoping to buy a Honda SH300 privately in the next couple of days. So, do I tow it on a conventional trailer or a short widthways one? My main concern is not which is easier to reverse as I know I will be rubbish at that anyway. It is which one will be easier to load or is there no difference? Anyone any experience of both? Thanks

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Depends on your trailer size , but straight down the middle is always best.. triiangulation of the straps is key. Bike in centre forwards , strap around bars to front corners . Pulled to front of trailer. Thats it.

If you post a picture of the bike with a strap over the seat , i will find you and beat you to death with it..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Conventional".. Easier to disconnect and park up..

And useful for carrying other bit`s and bob`s...

ie.... Doors/Boxes and the like from B&Q.. etc (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi I found the crossway type more difficult to load (though my scooter was 200kg) but more worrying was the fact that tie points are very limited. Yes the manufacturers put a bar fixing over the saddle but you need to hold the bike in place whilst fitting or removing it, plus I like belt and bracers so good strong rachet straps are a must with somewhere effective to attach them to. In its favour the crossways is smaller to park.

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Oh yes. Hadn't thought of that. Using it for other purposes did not cross my mind.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I use both, a covered conventional trailer for the Wing and Hydratrail for the scooter. Whichever way you go make sure that you use multiple tie down points. Yes, handlebar straps are probably the first to get fastened but others are advisable. And before anybody tells you that any more aren't necessary let me tell you that I have had straps break and without extra straps the result could have been catastrophic.
The lengthways trailer is great for loading, carrying other stuff like awnings etc but the length can be bind in tight roads and when you need to park up. It is a doddle to load.
The Hydratrail is great for reversing as it is rigid to the towbar and is great for driving in towns and small villages but is not as convenient for loading plus it's not covered so doesn't keep the scooter clean or as secure.
There will be others who have used Hydratrail and found that for their application it was not suitable, usually because as it does not articulate it damaged the towbar. So far using the Hydratrail with an MP3 scooter I have had no problems, probably because I designed and specced up the towbar to make sure it didn't fail.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I was thinking of an Hydratrail myself with an MP3 but I have heard that it can twist the tow bar or chassi.

As anyone experienced this?

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
How heavy is the bike ? It's just that we have spoken with PWS in Bournemouth and they are making us a platform that attaches to our Alko Chassis and protrudes out about a metre and we can carry our scooter on sideways. We didn't want a trailer, so thought this was the best scenario.. PWS make trailers both side and front loading.. there is a weight issue though, hence the initial question.. might be worth looking them up..

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Topokita the CG125, lives in the Garage, only weighs 112kg, two turnbuckles to the carrier and it is there . full stop needs a ramp to get out.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was thinking of an Hydratrail myself with an MP3 but I have heard that it can twist the tow bar or chassi.

As anyone experienced this?
During the brief time I had one it did indeed twist the 3" box section tow bar.. I put my 1200gs on it.. Both Richard ( The Scotties ) and myself went to the chap who made us one each specifically for the weight of the BMW's.
I had real issues getting the bike loaded on it and really did not like the way the bike was held in place on the trailer.
I returned mine as did Richard.
BUT
The units are very well made indeed, the customer service excellent, and for smaller bikes I would say they are very good indeed..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a platform that attaches to our Alko Chassis and protrudes out about a metre and we can carry our scooter on sideways.
You need to consider the weight implications of such a system.
It isn't simply the weight of the scooter and platform, it's also the leverage effect behind the axle....the further back the load, the greater the weight on the rear axle eating into your rear axle payload.
The rear weight could be 50% more than the scooter and rack combined.
As an example.....hold a heavy weight (house brick etc) in one hand close to your chest.....now hold it at arms length...that's the leverage effect.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Bloody hell this has just reminded me ive got a 125 in the garage , @Jaws sold it to me .Mental note to self get the bike out now and again .

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
To the OP! having had many types of racks and trailers over the years,not knowing your age or physical strength,my own experience is as you get older loading becomes more difficult :eek:!
I have recently bought a three bike Woodford trailer with which I can ride any of my bikes on as it is low enough and has a full width platform so this can be done with feet down.Most single bike trailers are of tubular frame construction which means you have a big hole and a drop where you want to be when putting the bike on.
Not describing this very well but sure you get the picture.
I have lost some strength in my right arm due to an accident and this trailer gives far more confidence in loading and unloading.
I preferred a rear rack but was always very aware of the weight and rear end swing.
Search and buy carefully and you will be confident in use which is a big bonus if using regularly.
Good luck with your search.

Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
You need to consider the weight implications of such a system.
It isn't simply the weight of the scooter and platform, it's also the leverage effect behind the axle....the further back the load, the greater the weight on the rear axle eating into your rear axle payload.
The rear weight could be 50% more than the scooter and rack combined.
As an example.....hold a heavy weight (house brick etc) in one hand close to your chest.....now hold it at arms length...that's the leverage effect.

Thank you for the warning / advice.. indeed we have liased with AutoTrail about the weight coming off the Chassis.. 200kgs is the most they suggested if coming out 2 metres.. we are well under that on a 130kg Scooter, and taking into consideration the weight of the unit too.. we are just under 3ft from the back of the MH, so the cantilever effect is much reduced.

The guys who are doing this conversion for us have done many over the years, (maybe not on our type of MH but similar others) and have had no issues whatsoever.. I have asked many Dealers for advice on this and all have come back and said that PWS have the engineering pedigree / know how to put one together for us.. after getting a look at the unit being made for us when we went in for a measure up and the quality of the construction, i'm fairly relaxed that these experts are far better knowledgeable on the subject than me..

Thank you for the post nonetheless..

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Steve and Kat
Where are PWS?

We are also looking at this issue but an Internet search for PWS has not brought up any engineering type companies. We would like to talk to them.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
How heavy is the bike ? It's just that we have spoken with PWS in Bournemouth and they are making us a platform that attaches to our Alko Chassis and protrudes out about a metre and we can carry our scooter on sideways. We didn't want a trailer, so thought this was the best scenario.. PWS make trailers both side and front loading.. there is a weight issue though, hence the initial question.. might be worth looking them up..
Our preference was for a rack but even though the van is 4250, taking the advice of other Funsters and SV Tech we have erred on the side of caution and decided a trailer will be best for our situation.

Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Our preference was for a rack but even though the van is 4250, taking the advice of other Funsters and SV Tech we have erred on the side of caution and decided a trailer will be best for our situation.

Great stuff, be nice to see a picture of your Combo when you've got it...

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
a three bike Woodford trailer with which I can ride any of my bikes on as it is low enough and has a full width platform so this can be done with feet down.Most single bike trailers are of tubular frame construction which means you have a big hole and a drop where you want to be when putting the bike on.
The bike weighs about 170 kgs and whilst it will be another 6 years before the issue of a bus pass occurs, I am not a total wimp - just view the expenditure of unnecessary energy as wasteful - in other words lazy! So your post has been helpful.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have very recently purchased a Vespa GTS 300 (circa 160kg) to stick on the back of the van with a nearly new Hydratrail, purchased from Zac off this very forum. My KTM 1290SA is just too heavy and complete overkill for our needs whilst away. The van already has a PWS tow bar fitted, so hopefully that will cope with the ask. Candidly, it was the ease of reversing which we found appealing in contrast to a traditional trailer, but we've yet to actually test it out...

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have just tried out a Watling quick release rack as I need the tow ball as well. I weighed it this week with a PCX Loaded. 125kg scooter weight. It is on a 5000kg tag axle MH . I HAD 1/2 water 1/2 fuel driver all other kit in the rear locker including a 390l awning. Front Axle 1800kg (2100kg max) rear axles 2750kg (max3000kg) available payload 450kg. well within limits. However The rack has a removable upright pole to secure over the scooter seat and is not totally rigid and there was some flex movement on the rack. I put an extra strap to the cycle rack without much tension it stopped the sway. We have just returned from two weeks in the Loire region and had no problems at all. Currently the rack is fitted with a drop plate onto the PWS Tow Bar. It did however ground a couple of times, so I will do away with the drop plate and fir the Rack bracket straight to the Bar . This will also reduce the flex movement.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
With a rack of course you do save on the shuttle, no trailer charge , which are of course charged at MH RATE Fixed price.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
The bike weighs about 170 kgs and whilst it will be another 6 years before the issue of a bus pass occurs, I am not a total wimp - just view the expenditure of unnecessary energy as wasteful - in other words lazy! So your post has been helpful.

Just thought worth mentioning,with a rack substantial enough the plus side is with an auto scooter you can run it up the rack and into the front wheel hoop with for example my PCX at about 130kgs with the motor on tick over or just above.
I must admit I would be a wimp if a 170 kgs bike decided it didn't want to go up and thought it would jump off and sleep on top of me!!
Of course the thing would be enough harder to load if it was a manual bike and you had to use the clutch and throttle together,what bike do you have by the way?

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Just thought worth mentioning,with a rack substantial enough the plus side is with an auto scooter you can run it up the rack and into the front wheel hoop with for example my PCX at about 130kgs with the motor on tick over or just above.
I must admit I would be a wimp if a 170 kgs bike decided it didn't want to go up and thought it would jump off and sleep on top of me!!
Of course the thing would be enough harder to load if it was a manual bike and you had to use the clutch and throttle together,what bike do you have by the way?
It's a Honda 300SH (169Kgs) and my towbar is just not up to a rack.

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Well the Honda passed the expert inspection so it's a scheduled pickup on Saturday. Just to add to the confusion I decided to look at ferry to France costs and it looks like it adds £100 to the return travel price Dover - Calais - Dover whether it is a long or transverse trailer. Out of interest I have emailed DFDS asking for their view of the Hydratrail and I will post the reply in due course.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Well the Honda passed the expert inspection so it's a scheduled pickup on Saturday. Just to add to the confusion I decided to look at ferry to France costs and it looks like it adds £100 to the return travel price Dover - Calais - Dover whether it is a long or transverse trailer. Out of interest I have emailed DFDS asking for their view of the Hydratrail and I will post the reply in due course.
I never booked the Hydratrail as a trailer, i just added the length to the booking on any crossing i made including the Spain - Santander crossing last xmas. Of course this is just me, never had any issues. Same as tunnel no increase in price on there either.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have very recently purchased a Vespa GTS 300 (circa 160kg) to stick on the back of the van with a nearly new Hydratrail, purchased from Zac off this very forum. My KTM 1290SA is just too heavy and complete overkill for our needs whilst away. The van already has a PWS tow bar fitted, so hopefully that will cope with the ask. Candidly, it was the ease of reversing which we found appealing in contrast to a traditional trailer, but we've yet to actually test it out...

Wow you have still not used it, did you get the towbar bit made by easylifter?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back