Suggestions for a two-berth motorhome ~£10k (1 Viewer)

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
My wife and I are getting ready for a big year in a van next year! Something to get us through another winter in London...

We were originally thinking about buying something like one of those short wheelbase (sub 5m) Fiat Ducato Hymers (early 90s), but would like something a bit narrower, especially after our first time driving on the b roads around the Lake District!

I'm curious if anyone has had a Peugeot Boxer Symphony
(like this one Link Removed )

The size doesn't bother us, we spent six months in a Mitsubishi Delica around Australia.

I'm curious what the fuel consumption is like, considering it's a 2L petrol, rather than a diesel - at least it's exempt from the LEZ!

Also, any suggestions for good places to find a LHD version of something like this? I keep an eye on eBay and Gumtree, but haven't seen any LHD versions pop up.

Or, any other suggestions for a similarly sized/specced van? We'd prefer one with a bathroom to allow us the freedom to free camp.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Looked after, they are good vans.
I would be surprised if you find a lhd drive one.
Not a lot of storage, how would you cope,?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If you're budget can stretch a little (or be prepared to wait as they do come up sub 10k) you could consider a La Strada.
Build quality is excellent and you might well find a lhd as they're German built.
Something like this ?
Link Removed
Link Removed

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If your mileage is not excessive petrol will not be a lot worse than diesil. A small trailer could solve storage problem, as you say lez no problem for petrol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that La Strada suggestion - agreed, the build quality seems fantastic! A bit above our budget - but it's all capital expense, hopefully it is mostly returned at the end of our trip.

Also, thanks for the mobile.de suggestion. I thought that I'd probably have to import one. In all honesty, I wish I knew an easy way to insure/register it outside of the UK, as I don't plan to spend more than a month or two in the UK with the vehicle...

Finally, no worry about storage! Our last car had a fraction of what is available in these vans, and we found that we had more than we needed - even though half of what we were carrying was spares and for repairs.
https://ausroadtrip.wordpress.com/construction/

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I had 2 Symphonies -the first was stolen and I looked for quite a while to replace it. I liked them a lot, but both mine were diesel. We went to Scotland, Ireland, Spain, France in them. Diesel was one reason for getting rid as my partner lives in London (LEZ). The other reason was that he is tall and making the bed long enough with extra cushions was a pain since they took up a lot of storage room. The second van I sold to smaller friends who sleep across the van and don't need the cushions -how tall are you both? They were surprised how much rust there was (in a 12 year old van) and spent £2k getting it right. It now looks like a new van.
Liked particularly *the fold out bathroom door which extended the bathroom into the kitchen, good for privacy changing etc
*The flat throughout floor, newer vans have a step up to the cab. The Symphony's flat floor meant we could sit opposite each other by the open sliding door and eat our meals with superb views.
Didn't like *the small gas cupboard with narrow door which made it difficult to manhandle cylinders in and out.
* curtains everywhere - we took them out.
Hope this helps. I think it's a great van to start with. (Or the Symbol)
Attached, my last van with present owners who like it a lot. P1000263.JPG .

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
I had 2 Symphonies -the first was stolen and I looked for quite a while to replace it. I liked them a lot, but both mine were diesel. We went to Scotland, Ireland, Spain, France in them. Diesel was one reason for getting rid as my partner lives in London (LEZ). The other reason was that he is tall and making the bed long enough with extra cushions was a pain since they took up a lot of storage room. The second van I sold to smaller friends who sleep across the van and don't need the cushions -how tall are you both? They were surprised how much rust there was (in a 12 year old van) and spent £2k getting it right. It now looks like a new van.
Liked particularly *the fold out bathroom door which extended the bathroom into the kitchen, good for privacy changing etc
*The flat throughout floor, newer vans have a step up to the cab. The Symphony's flat floor meant we could sit opposite each other by the open sliding door and eat our meals with superb views.
Didn't like *the small gas cupboard with narrow door which made it difficult to manhandle cylinders in and out.
* curtains everywhere - we took them out.
Hope this helps. I think it's a great van to start with. (Or the Symbol)
Attached, my last van with present owners who like it a lot.View attachment 126562 .

Really appreciate your feedback! Shame it wasn't the petrol version, as I would really love to know the difference in consumption. We plan on driving some serious kms in this, so I think it will definitely make a difference for us!

Interesting what you said about the size... I'm actually quite tall (192cm). I was hoping to use the upper bed, rather than the fold-out couch, mostly so my feet can hang off the ends. It looks pretty tight for space, but we're not claustrophobic and still quite nimble!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Neither of mine had an upper bed - I have never seen a Symphony with an upper bed. Are you sure it has one?? From the pictures I don't think it does...the roof's not high enough. If you want one of those I think you should be looking for a different van.

Another place to check is the Preloved web site

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have a 2002 Symbol and love it. Two decent single beds or large double,,good kitchen small shower and toilet but adequate ,,Nice to drive and parks anywhere. Plenty of storage but i have increased mine by mounting two chequer plate boxes on the rear under the cycle rack. Had a 1998 Symphony with 2.5 turbo diesel,,again nice van. I would think there would be a 5 mpg difference between petrol and diesel which isn't so bad in UK but on The Continent petrol is quite a bit more expensive than diesel. Good luck with your search..BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Neither of mine had an upper bed - I have never seen a Symphony with an upper bed. Are you sure it has one?? From the pictures I don't think it does...the roof's not high enough. If you want one of those I think you should be looking for a different van.

Another place to check is the Preloved web site

They do produce a model with an upper bed but only suitable for children,,,BUSBY.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
If I was spending 10k on a van I would investigate an older autosleeper like this one
Link Removed
I have absolutely no experience of one but I see a lot of old ones about. They seem to hold their price and be popular. Also they have a monocoque body which I think would cut down on the risk of rot and damp.
Not sure if they do a LHD version though.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If I was spending 10k on a van I would investigate an older autosleeper like this one
Link Removed
I have absolutely no experience of one but I see a lot of old ones about. They seem to hold their price and be popular. Also they have a monocoque body which I think would cut down on the risk of rot and damp.
Not sure if they do a LHD version though.

That is expensive for that year...Nice van but insulation for winter use is poor,,,Sold my 1995 version of one for £10400 9 months ago. BUSBY.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Really appreciate your feedback! Shame it wasn't the petrol version, as I would really love to know the difference in consumption. We plan on driving some serious kms in this, so I think it will definitely make a difference for us!

Interesting what you said about the size... I'm actually quite tall (192cm). I was hoping to use the upper bed, rather than the fold-out couch, mostly so my feet can hang off the ends. It looks pretty tight for space, but we're not claustrophobic and still quite nimble!
Van conversions with bathrooms and an adult size upper bed are few and far between, I can hardly recall seeing one.
The bathroom area generally enters the upper roof space, preventing an upper bed from being fitted...

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
That is expensive for that year...Nice van but insulation for winter use is poor,,,Sold my 1995 version of one for £10400 9 months ago. BUSBY.
Good to get your feedback on the insulation. I'm a bit paranoid about damp and rot so thought this may be a good option but obviously not. I wasn't suggesting it was a good price just to show the sort of van I meant.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back