Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
2 years in a couple, 2 years solo
Hello

Since my husband died two years ago this month, I have endeavoured to make use of our newly acquired motorhome as he and I had enjoyed the few trips we had taken despite having had to take it to a garage with a handbrake problem on our first trip to Scotland. We had flat battery after flat battery. After his death, the garage sold me a new battery but straight away nothing worked. After weeks of puzzling and worrying over amps and voltage I discovered that a fuse next to the leisure battery under the floor had blown. This fuse has no trip switch indicator. I then had coachbuilders replace a section of flooring which was no longer capable of supporting the electric steps as it was rotting from water thrown up by a wheel. To reduce the risk of further flat batteries I had an isolator fitted to the vehicle and leisure batteries.
I am hoping that this year I could make a decision about whether to keep the motorhome or not - an anonymous person has dropped 2 notes through my letter box with a mobile number and no name asking if its for sale. I have been away in it twice this year and it came in useful for helping a relative who had a complicated house move.

My latest problem is that I cannot safely lift my bicycle up onto the bike rack. I enjoy cycling off road so this is a big disappointment. Also it would be handy to have to get to a shop or to go exploring a bit.

I am wondering if the bike rack which is a Fiamma could be converted to the type that has a lift. I imagine removing the existing one would leave places for water to access and cause damage, but I don't know enough about it. I shall have to ask the garage, but after the battery problems which ultimately they didn't sort, I'm reluctant to start with them. Is there anyone here who knows?

Maybe I should give the motorhome up. Last year I was determined not to be beaten by all the problems it presented but the truth is I don't enjoy driving as I find more than 2 hours tiring. I frequently get lost. My husband and I had done a lot of camping in tents over the years, but he was the one who organised it all. I could go Bed & Breakfasting instead, but its not very appealing and I have been seriously mulling over getting a dog - which would work in a motorhome but probably cause difficulties finding other accommodation.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome.,:WelcomeFlag:there are a lovely bunch of lady Funsters who may be able to chat to you and help with your decision
@movan will chat to you I'm sure and try to help.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi,

I am so sorry that you've had these problems but please don't let them put you off motorhoming. As you say if you get a dog then think of all the adventures you will have.

Lifting bikes onto racks can be difficult. I can't help with converting your existing rack into a lift type one but I'm sure someone will. Another alternative might be to consider a fold up bike depending on the size of your lockers.

Regarding you tiring after 2 hours driving you don't need to go far. We often have great weekends away only 30mins from our home. It is amazing how fabulous it is to just get away and chill.

I hope you find solutions to your problems.

Loren

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.gif
Assuming that your only problem with MH is bike rack then that is easily solved by having a tow bar fitted with a rack that attaches to that. You can get them with pull out ramp for the bike so no lifting at all and then you could get an electric bike !!:)
If I were to be on my own I would make use of the rallies organised by funsters and the other clubs, someone else will do the organising and you can plan the route before hand.
Yes do get a doggie and carry on motorhoming(y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello ... we also have a bunch of ladies who meet up and help each other. If you are interested, we private message each other for support. It IS difficult on your own as you are finding .. one person to load the van, fill the water tank, sort the gaz bottles and the drinking water, learn about hook ups and solar panels and different batteries and fuses ... and I panic often. There is always someone on this forum to offer help no matter how basic the question.

You learn to improvise .. fill a watering can everytime you pass a tap on a site to top up your tank .. can you use a drain pipe to wheel your bike onto the rack? Not always possible. .

Welcome ... we are all here to help you in the transition to solo traveller. Hug.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
:hiya2: & :welcome3: . . . as far as non Motorhome dog friendly accommodation is concerned, have no worries because there's a wide range of doggy friendly accommodation in the U.K. ranging from humble guest houses to Hilton hotels :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
got talking to a fellow motorhomer whilst i was at Oban ,she was in a similar circumstance and i reccomended that she join the forum as there are some single travellers on here who would give her a lot of support:)

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
2 years in a couple, 2 years solo
Oh thank you. Feeling encouraged already. Love the drainpipe idea, I did try with various items but hadn't thought of that but I think the rack is too high and the bike too heavy and although I managed to get it on it was far too much of a struggle. Love the watering can idea, that could be useful. I wonder if there is a 'food grade' one to top up on drinking water. I shall definitely look into the towbar fitted with a rack for a bike - it might provide the solution.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Get a sat-nav, it might not take you the right way sometimes but it will always get you there....
The dog sounds great....

There will be others along with lots more info (y)

:pink:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Oh thank you. Feeling encouraged already. Love the drainpipe idea, I did try with various items but hadn't thought of that but I think the rack is too high and the bike too heavy and although I managed to get it on it was far too much of a struggle. Love the watering can idea, that could be useful. I wonder if there is a 'food grade' one to top up on drinking water. I shall definitely look into the towbar fitted with a rack for a bike - it might provide the solution.
Don't worry about a food quality watering can.

Between camping site tap and motorhome filler is too short a time for any problems.

We have used that system, when necessary, for over 30 years and we are still here! (I think).:)(n)

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hello & welcome to the Funsters nuthouse.
I'm certain the loss of your husband has hit you hard & undoubtedly you're still grieving.

Motorhoming is a 'lifestyle' choice, its not an option for cheap holidaying. It comes with its own hassles, aggrivations & expense.

Moving forward - it is solely your decision as to whether you want to explore this 'lifestyle' or perhaps sell up & do B&B's or cruising or any other occupation.
There's no shame in saying "actually its not for me".

But
If you choose to stick with it then you'll learn that its the journey not the destination - getting lost is part of the fun - and a satnav will get you to where you want to be (eventually).
Driving 2h is the max recommended without a break so that's no bad at thing - pull into a layby, have a cuppa, even a nap & off you go again. I can't find the perfect driving position in my van & my ankle aches after an hour or so... but I had cruise fitted and now driving is so chilled.
Bike rack, as others have said, there are solutions - but it means expense... so I go back to the beginning - do you want to Motorhome?

If the answer is yes - then you'll find so much support & even physical help here.

PS, hopefully I'm just about to adopt a rescue dog, and as a solo - I'm really looking forward to the companionship & all that goes with having to think about someone else, not just me me me.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Don't worry about a food quality watering can.
+1 as i doubt for all the time the water is in the water can that it will make any difference

Plus for us the only time we drink water from the MH is when its boiled for coffee , as the rest of time its bottled water from a 5ltr container
Plus as other have said @peddlingfree there is quite a few single travelers on here who will be more than happy to help you as they will have all been there at the start of their journey.
GL and hope you don't give up , and give it your best shot :)

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi and :pink:. As Movan said there is a lot to think about, but we all help each other. I frequently get lost, the Sat nav says do a u turn, I say I cannot, or words to that effect, and I sort it out, don't give up unless you really want to

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I got our watering can in a pound shop, does the job, but only that job. Stick it out and have fun. Welcome to the wonderful world of........where was I?

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
:welcomesign:to the forum and you are already getting helpful suggestions from the members here, you are definitely on the right forum for advice and the single ladies on here will certainly help you along.
It is not quite the same to be out in the van after the death of a partner but it becomes easier the more you do it, I can manage some of the DIY problems associated with the van but thank god for takeaway meals :pray2:
Establishing contact with the girls on the forum here will perhaps give you the little push you need so that come next Spring you may be itching to get out there.
Have fun.
Norman.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome, I think you have now found with the forum a place where there are a lot of like minded people who will be more than willing to help. Lots of solo travellers on here so the problems you have someone will have had before, one thing worth thinking about is that if you get your bike rack sorted and enjoy your cycling, then you may have the worry of leaving a dog while you are out.
:welcomesign:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Blimey. All these luvverly ladies needing help.

Amazed there's not a long queue of willing men offering help ;)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Oh come on!
You're always getting lost?
That's part of the fun, we are always getting lost.
Actually it's not known as getting lost, in our van it ends up being called. . . . . . . . Taking an alternative route.
Here in France we just say, "If we hadn't taken this route then we wouldn't have seen this part of France, and look at what we would have missed.
Buy a sat-nav, at least you can blame that for going the wrong way.
As for the bike rack. I had the same problem with our's. We ended up buying a 'fiamma" one that fits into the original fixing points on the van and will wind down so the loading bit is about a foot off the ground, once the bike/ bikes are loaded it is then just wound up to the normal height.
Winding up got a little exhausting so I adapted a battery hand drill and a tent peg so now I just connect the two up press the trigger and the bikes rise up and click into place quite easily.
Most problems like this can be easily solved.
There's loads of good advice on this site, so, if tou have any problems, just ask and I'm pretty sure someone will be able to help.
Bon chance
Enjoy

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Hi and welcome!
As others have said there are alot of solo motorhomers,so I would try and carry on and
use your`s.Its a wonderful way to see different places.And if you could work out a better
way to carry your bike your sorted!

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Hi
Welcome it's nice to see all the help & advice that's on offer :cool:
Looks like your going to make it along just fine.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Hi and welcome. Give it another year before you make the final decision as to whether or not to keep your MH. If it is something you enjoy stick with it and find compromises to resolve the issues,

Regarding the bike problem- consider fitting a tow bar. Admittedly a bit costly but you could then attach a bike rack to the tow ball which would be significantly lower.

As one of the numerous solo females on this forum I have had loads of advice and made some great friends so give us a go!

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are never lost' we are just sometimes "unsure of our position"!

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Just had an electric bike lift fitted, it's Dutch made and fitted by Simpsons in Great Yarmouth. Might be worth a call.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back