Lynton/Lynmouth (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
We are planning on spending a few days along the North Devon coast in a couple of weeks time, and will be visiting Lynton and Lynmouth.
Apparently (fromGrahams parking site) there are now some designated parking bays for MH's in Lynmouth and up In the car park in Lynton, which is very welcome news.
My question is the hill between the two!
I seem to remember when we were there a few years ago, that there was a sign at the bottom of the hill in Lynmouth saying Not suitable for Caravans. Presumably there would be no issues with a MH going up there? I realise that at the top is a hairpin turn to get into lynton, which you wouldn't be able to go round. Would have to go straight on, find somewhere to turn and then head back, and then go straight over at the hairpin turn to go into Lynton.
Anyone been up here in a MH, and any advice welcome.

Also, are there any issues parking up overnight in secluded spots on Exmoor?
Many thanks

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
When we were down that way earlier in the year we did all three hills,in and out of Lynmouth and Porlock didn't stop for a look round as we had been before but stayed at County Gate the old information centre.Large car park with toilets that might still be open.(the toilets that is!)
20160503_182309.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Was there about a month or so ago, had no trouble getting up the hill (Porlock too) and we only have a 1.9tdi Car park in Lynton is M/H friendly, but! we had to pick the right spot so that we weren't any trouble to other users of the C/Park

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We stayed at a very nice C and CC site just outside Lynton/Lynmouth earlier this summer. We walked from the site into the town, which was fine, but seemed pretty steep coming back up. There is a funicular railway which will take you part of the way up in the town, but we were too tight to pay for it.

If you're relatively fit, I'd see no reason to take the MH into the town, and maybe worth thinking about what we did.

The road down from site and funicular railway :

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We stayed at a very nice C and CC site just outside Lynton/Lynmouth earlier this summer. We walked from the site into the town, which was fine, but seemed pretty steep coming back up. There is a funicular railway which will take you part of the way up in the town, but we were too tight to pay for it.

If you're relatively fit, I'd see no reason to take the MH into the town, and maybe worth thinking about what we did.

The road down from site and funicular railway :

View attachment 126190 View attachment 126191
This is what we did as well. Used the c&cc site at top of hill and walked down that beautiful country lane and back bit steep but no traffic other than a tractor on one of the days ..lovely..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the replies.
May well stay at County Gate (thanks rd62), out the way, so shouldn't bother anyone, and fantastic views.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I have 'wilded' on Exmoor but it is prohibited by local bylaws but out of season you can get away with it but be prepared to be moved on.

Twice I've had the police tapping on the windows. One time it was quickly obvious that if I didn't move on I would receive a summons, the other time he was more relaxed and after some polite conversation I began to believe that he wanted any excuse to leave me with a warning and get back for tea. So I asked for a 'tardy' note excusing me from DUI as I was acting under the orders of the Police to drive on.

I think he could see the newspaper headline, so wished me a good night and to be gone by 9am.

That was back in the 90's, I wouldn't even think about playing that one today. :)

If you are in that area do visit Watersmeet House. It is a short hike down to it but the views and Cream Teas make it worth it.

colour.jpg

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/watersmeet

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
:whistle::):)
I have 'wilded' on Exmoor but it is prohibited by local bylaws but out of season you can get away with it but be prepared to be moved on.

Twice I've had the police tapping on the windows. One time it was quickly obvious that if I didn't move on I would receive a summons, the other time he was more relaxed and after some polite conversation I began to believe that he wanted any excuse to leave me with a warning. So I asked for a 'tardy' note excusing me from DUI as I was acting under the orders of the Police to drive on.

I think he could see the newspaper headline, so wished me a good night and to be gone by 9am.

That was back in the 90's, I wouldn't even think about playing that one today. :)

If you are in that area do visit Watersmeet House. It is a short hike down to it but the views and Cream Teas make it worth it.

colour.jpg

Yes, waters meet will be on the places to visit.
What is a Tardy note, and what does DUI mean

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I stopped overnight at Wistlandpound Reservoir as I couldn't get a mobile signal to phone the C&CC site. Didn't hear anything all night ( except owls) Had a lovely walk with the dogs around the reservoir the next morning then went on to the C&CC sire and walked into town. Dogs enjoyed the trip up and down on the cliff railway.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
:):)
Yes, waters meet will be on the places to visit.
What is a Tardy note, and what does DUI mean

A note given to excuse you for bad behaviour, if your excuse was valid.

DUI - Driving Under Inflence.

Obviously no policeman is going to allow you to drive drunk or force you to drive if you are drunk.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Twice I've had the police tapping on the windows. One time it was quickly obvious that if I didn't move on I would receive a summons, the other time he was more relaxed and after some polite conversation I began to believe that he wanted any excuse to leave me with a warning and get back for tea. So I asked for a 'tardy' note excusing me from DUI as I was acting under the orders of the Police to drive on.

colour.jpg

Have they re-roofed the place yet? We bought and signed a roof tile when we had a cream tea in May.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
coming out off porlock going west towards Lynton there are a couple of places on your right that you can park, we spent a couple of nights their in 2014.
if you look on google earth you will see they are well off the main road with no signs saying you cannot stay over night,

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
this a picture of a couple of parking places at the top of porlock hill on exmoor

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Small world isn't it! One of the receptionists at Bonterra Park, Benicassim, Spain spent 6 months at Lynton & Lynmouth learning English then another 6 months at Ross on Wye. She was virtually fluent and with no trace of any Devon or Gloucester accents! Hows thaat me luvver!

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We stayed overnight in one of the motorhome bays at lynmouth. So we could go for a birthday meal in one of the restaurants. Had a nice meal, paid about £50 and left in the morning. No problem.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if you look on google earth you will see they are well off the main road with no signs saying you cannot stay over night,
The fact that there are no signs saying you cannot stay over night doesn't mean that you can.

As the NPA says on the page I quoted previously "The majority of the land in the National Park is privately owned and, as with any part of England and Wales, you have to get the landowners permission before camping or parking up a camper van overnight – no matter how remote the location may seem."

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back