Elsan Blue (2 Viewers)

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
What's the best price people are paying for genuine Elsan Blue toilet fluid (not interested in own brands) per litre
Thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always get it in 4 litre pots.. Usually £10 a go ( But I usually buy a box of 4 as the family, all motorhomers ) get through a lot of it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Lidl's , Just looked at bottle does not say how many litres I reckon about 3 . On the bottle it states 40+ washes! Cost I think was about £2.50. Where it says 40 washes I would think that about 40 emptyings!!

colyboy

ps make sure it's Bio

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Don't get mixed up with Adblue either way, into the toilet, it is the same stuff YOU put in normally, into the engine ther toilet cleaner not good as it is not as useful stopping the emissions

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
How much is that now CB ?
That is what I use a dollop is all that is needed as too much gives off a chemically smell, it breaks down lumpy bits and keep the bugs eating away all that goes out is liquid, safe for cesspools the Formaldehyde based and the replacement one kills the cesspit, DEAD.
That is why they do not like it in toilet systems at shows and rallies.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Warning ⚠, daft question alert!!!

Do I take it RV black tanks still require the addition of Elsan (or similar / alternative) liquid? Presumably they must, otherwise you wouldn't be asking your question.

It's never occurred to me that black tanks would, thereby adding to the infrequency of emptying benefit they already have over cassette loos.

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
@colyboy I'm trying to find out how much bio washing liquid to put in my black waste container rather than using the usual blue stuff. You seem to be saying just a capful would do it, is that correct?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Not sure, but hey, not many use anything carcinogenic these days. :(
Interested in that. Do you know of any evidence it is carcionogrnic, as opposed to hearsay. I would use an alternative if it were proven, wouldn't want to use it even though it kills bacteria like E. coli.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Warning ⚠, daft question alert!!!

Do I take it RV black tanks still require the addition of Elsan (or similar / alternative) liquid? Presumably they must, otherwise you wouldn't be asking your question.

It's never occurred to me that black tanks would, thereby adding to the infrequency of emptying benefit they already have over cassette loos.

You can buy American capsules of stuff to go in a black tank, or use Elsan blue or any other sort, or bio liquid, or some use cheap coke. Personally in seven years, I have never had a need for anything in our black tank. And, with a 45gal capacity it can be in there for weeks. Never had any trouble or smells. If there was ever the slightest whiff, Management's SuperNose would be on the case and I would certainly know about it. Remember, the blade is only open during flushing the rest of the time a big spring seals in closed. Even during emptying it's ok, its the grey water that really pen and inks, when dumping. :)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
@colyboy I'm trying to find out how much bio washing liquid to put in my black waste container rather than using the usual blue stuff. You seem to be saying just a capful would do it, is that correct?
We use the same amount in the cassette as you would use for a washing machine load and it seems to do it fine. Its probably slightly more expensive, but we use the Broken Link Removedrather than a bottle: after the cassette has been emptied we just drop one down the loo.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Interested in that. Do you know of any evidence it is carcionogrnic, as opposed to hearsay. I would use an alternative if it were proven, wouldn't want to use it even though it kills bacteria like E. coli.
Digging around for the information that you require:

This from Amazon Sales.....

Product Safety
This product is subject to specific safety warnings
  • Harmful by inhalation
  • Limited evidence of a carcinogenic effect
  • Irritating to skin
  • Irritating to respiratory system
  • Irritating to eyes
  • Harmful if swallowed
  • May cause sensitisation by skin contact
  • Harmful in contact with skin
  • Harmful if swallowed
  • May cause respiratory irritation
  • Causes skin irritation
  • May cause an allergic skin reaction
  • Causes serious eye irritation
  • Suspected of causing cancer
PDF of Elsan product sheet.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/Elsan Blue toilet fluid_SDS_rev 6.pdf

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We use the same amount in the cassette as you would use for a washing machine load and it seems to do it fine. Its probably slightly more expensive, but we use the Broken Link Removedrather than a bottle: after the cassette has been emptied we just drop one down the loo.
We also use the little capsules, they are convenient, safe and easy to use. The Aldi double packaged ones work a treat. I don't know why two separate items, I expect they are meant to be released at difference times during the wash. I have checked them in a jug of cold water and they are both released.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I have used the Lidl stuff,in various amounts,and the smell coming out of the Loo,is enough to bring tears to a Glass eye. We are back using the Elsan blue,and can now invite people into the m/ho if needed,without them thinking we have a dead cat in the shower room
True,it does "Break your lumps up !" (Any old miners will be smiling,...think conveyor belt:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) and make the emptying easier,where am i going wrong? Use someone elses loo?(y)
Tea Bag

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What's the best price people are paying for genuine Elsan Blue toilet fluid (not interested in own brands) per litre
Thanks
The cheapest we found it last year was at the motorhome shows. £3 for 400ml of the elsan blue double. It was cheaper that way than the big bottles strangely but suited us. Hoping to stock up at Malvern. Have tried the bio washing powders/capsules/liquids but really not impressed. OK just for urine I suppose and we keep it for if we are somewhere that won't let us use elsan.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I've gone back to the Blue for the same reason as Tea Bag.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We use Brewers Yeast tablets
search on here I did a big write up about the advantages

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We use both the Elsan Blue and the Green toilet fluids. The Blue gets used where the cassette gets emptied at CMC sites and the green at CL's that use septic tanks or anywhere that Formaldehyde based fluids are not welcome. In reality the Blue is the strongest for killing smells etc and that gets used more in the hot weather as the green is not as nice smelling.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Digging around for the information that you require:

This from Amazon Sales.....

Product Safety
This product is subject to specific safety warnings
  • Harmful by inhalation
  • Limited evidence of a carcinogenic effect
  • Irritating to skin
  • Irritating to respiratory system
  • Irritating to eyes
  • Harmful if swallowed
  • May cause sensitisation by skin contact
  • Harmful in contact with skin
  • Harmful if swallowed
  • May cause respiratory irritation
  • Causes skin irritation
  • May cause an allergic skin reaction
  • Causes serious eye irritation
  • Suspected of causing cancer
PDF of Elsan product sheet.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/Elsan Blue toilet fluid_SDS_rev 6.pdf

I think in light of that I shall review my sanitary arrangements, thank you.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I use any brand bio liquid (always the cheapest in UK and Europe) Never had a whiff. Are you SURE its not something you are eating???? Huh? Maybe you need a checkup?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Hi.
Joking aside,i wondered if it was something to do with the medication being taken. We eat the same stuff as normal when away,so cannot see it being that,i thought at first i may have put to much Bio in,so reduced the amount,this did NOT help,so i guess its "Elsan" and a "Blue bum" on the odd occasion. TO MUCH INFORMATION!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
SORRY!! Its before the........."Watershed":whistle:
Tea Bag

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi.
Joking aside,i wondered if it was something to do with the medication being taken. We eat the same stuff as normal when away,so cannot see it being that,i thought at first i may have put to much Bio in,so reduced the amount,this did NOT help,so i guess its "Elsan" and a "Blue bum" on the odd occasion. TO MUCH INFORMATION!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
SORRY!! Its before the........."Watershed":whistle:
Tea Bag
I dont really suppose you need to use anything, providing your prepared to empty each day. An (acquaintance) of mine is VERY 'green', and refuses to use loo additives, on the grounds that such use is helping to kill the planet. o_O

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I have tried not using anything and that does pong even after a day or so, but 2 capfulls or standard bio liquid does the trick. Use regular loo paper, always dissolves, and never had lumps either!

Perhaps it's some thing I eat?????????????

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
We've tried lots of different products and in our old van we even had a SOG but I've now settled on thetford blue sachets they might be slightly dearer (we pay £6.99 from camping international) but they break everything down and there's never a smell, we also use lotus toilet rolls from france as they're designed for Foss tanks so the sheets just break up completely

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
(Any old miners will be smiling,...think conveyor belt:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Thanks for reminding me of that pleasant underground experience.

Some used to shout down the Dac to get someone to get their "lunch" off the belt :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back