Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 610LE
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has anyone on this forum have a sprocker spaniel, do they travel well in the motor home. Over the summer we lost both our dogs within a month of each other. (yellow lab and black flat coated retriever)..The house is deathly quiet so we have decided on a sprocker after doing a lot of research, which we pick up at the beginning of November.
We have never had a puppy in the motor home as the previous dogs were both in there later years when we first had it. So the question is do they adapt pretty quickly and how old were they when they were first taken on a short trip.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Start them young and then little and often is the stock answer but in reality pups are often collected miles from home and have to drive back for, sometimes, hours.

When we bred out two litters of GSD puppies we put them and their mother in their bed into the back of the van at 2 weeks for a few minutes to get used to the different smells. After a few times we switched the engine on for a couple of minutes. After this we drove the vehicle for a few minutes and gradually increased the time. Then the pups were put in the vehicle without mam, as a litter and the process repeated. Then as half litters and then as individuals. When the pups were sold on at 10 weeks they all had travelled individually for 20 minutes in a vehicle. Never had any travelling problems reported back.

If possible try to carry them initially before a feed to lessen the likelihood of sickness.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Our current cocker ASBO loves the moho, all are dogs ( we've had 7 )have taken to it,very quickly. take the pup on short trips at first .
We let ours sit/lay in her bed between the 2 front seatswhile traveling , she gets very excited when we start loading the moho ,even starts howling / crying until she see's some of her blankets,towelsbed ,toys etc

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Broken Link Removed

OH why did I look :h: They will love it

and So sorry for your loss I know you are heartbroken and lost xx

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Has anyone on this forum have a sprocker spaniel, do they travel well in the motor home. Over the summer we lost both our dogs within a month of each other. (yellow lab and black flat coated retriever)..The house is deathly quiet so we have decided on a sprocker after doing a lot of research, which we pick up at the beginning of November.
We have never had a puppy in the motor home as the previous dogs were both in there later years when we first had it. So the question is do they adapt pretty quickly and how old were they when they were first taken on a short trip.
Sprocker ??? Do you mean a cross breed.???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Tilly the Border Terrorist, 12 weeks old travels well in the car and Van. in a cage sleeps all the way... So far she has done Hinckley-Stockton return and Hinckley to Chetenham return..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Broken Link Removed
DITTO ... Did you notice the teeny weeny one with her teddy bear? Ooooooooooh :talking::h:

OH why did I look :h: They will love it

and So sorry for your loss I know you are heartbroken and lost xx

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Mongrel is the prefered term ;)

They are very fashionable at the moment and have lovely temperaments and dont shed my next door neighbour has a charkapoo :LOL:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We have two sprockers (calling them mongrels doesn't make them any less cute you ald miseries ;) )

One is nearly 18 months and the other is 7 months.

Both were in the van on trips before they were 'allowed out' and they both absolutely love it.

They are a bundle of fun and mischief and you absolutely have to dog proof your house and van but they have such friendly and living characters that as long as you have plenty of time for them they are very rewarding. They don't need huge long walks just lots and lots of interactive play and both of ours love cuddles.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
If Sprockers have the same personality traits as Cockerpoos, then they will just want to be with you wherever you go. Enjoy. They look like beautiful dogs. They will fill that huge gap the loss of your two loved dogs have left. Your house will feel welcoming again.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
They are very fashionable at the moment and have lovely temperaments and dont shed my next door neighbour has a charkapoo :LOL:
They do shed :(

Ours have different coats. The black has a smooth cost and we find his fit in clumps everywhere and our tumble dryer filter always comes up black

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
By creating a "brand label" the breeder can charge more than for a mongrel.

Regardless - mongrels/cross breeds tend to have better characters & less physical problems than purebreds.
We paid fair money for both of ours. Much less than a pure cocker or Springer would have been.

I agree they usually have less problems but you should still have the breed specific checks for both breeds done. For sprockers that's eyes and ears from memory but might have been more.. the vetinry did that for us ;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Daughter has a sprocker and we have a cocker.
The only issue we have is he keeps trying to get in the front if he is not restrained.. so he is ALWAYS restrained !!! )
Daughters sprocker has been travelling around since he was about 18 months.. no issues at all..
Do remember though that when it comes to stopping time it will want a decent walk !

Jazzledog

Free Member
May 1, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588PL
Exp
A springer/cocker spaniel cross was always a gamekeeper's choice. Stamina of a springer, intelligence of a cocker....good little working dog.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Years ago we had a working cocker called Finley, he was a beautiful chocolate colour, lovely temperament but by god he was a busy dog, needed loads of activity and endless walks.

I think for a breed to be non shedding it must have some poddle in it.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Our bailey ...... see avatar...... is a springer/poodle cross. She's always travelled well since being a pup and settled into travelling in the Moho no bother at all. She loves visiting new places and going on walks and of course chasing the inevitable tennis ball:)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
:)
Laika the wonderdog was in the van at 8 weeks . We put pads in the shower for her and she used that quite happily.
They only thing she wasn't too happy with was being in a cage while travelling, we just harnessed her and she slept all the way with a couple of pee breaks .
It's already been said, once they get to know the sound of the keys, they at the door in a flash ready for another journey.
Spend sometime teaching your puppy that it's okay to be in the van by themselves.
Good luck and lots of happiness

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our twin cockers don't travel, we are able to leave them with family at home but really miss them when on the road.
Lively lovely natured dogs.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I just googled charkapoo to see what it was supposed to be ... no dogs came up but there was a link with the phrase ...

Two remarkable lesbians demonstrate wonderful bisexual ... :eek:

No I did NOT have a look!!! o_O

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Minx it's a cross between Kingcharles and poodle :ROFLMAO: I've just spelled it wrong !! should have been Chavapoo (I think)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Sprockers do shed just like the real versions (Cockers and Springers)

If you want something that doesn't shed you need a different cross breed. Something like a Cockapoo.

EDIT: Posted before seeing @Mousy 's post. She's quite right. For non shedding there has to be poodle in it.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Cockapoo here, loves being in the van, or really anywhere as long as he is with us. Stays in the van for a couple of hours quite happily by himself, and as soon as you get back, greets you with tennis ball in his mouth as a hint. Absolutely no shedding of hair, after two Newfoundlands, that is a huge blessing! We did not have the van when we had the newfies.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Minx it's a cross between Kingcharles and poodle :ROFLMAO: I've just spelled it wrong !! should have been Chavapoo (I think)

Are they bred on large estates :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back