LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Mines a cheap Lidl one with the prongs. Never knew any better when I bought it. Really should have got an unintrusive type.
We all live and learn.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
I have the one that Aldi sells and last time I had a van inspected by a NCC approved guy I followed him round with my meter to see what the difference was. He was quite impressed with the Aldi one,as his only had a light sequence on him to inform him of damp. I.e. green no damp, amber slight damp and red serious damp. The aldi one has a percentage scale and he reckoned it was a good instrument.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I bought this one 3 years ago for checking a damp north wall in the house but does a good job on the logs too. Pah, it's £10 cheaper now. :(

Edit: Looking at the other thread it's cheaper than @Geo's link on ebay.

upload_2016-9-27_0-10-0.jpeg

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I bought this one 3 years ago for checking a damp north wall in the house but does a good job on the logs too. Pah, it's £10 cheaper now. :(

Edit: Looking at the other thread it's cheaper than @Geo's link on ebay.

View attachment 126130
Yup got the same - from Amazon - was recommended at the time by Funsters [think I bought it before I took delivery of the van :whistle: such is the power of MHF]

£15

Amazon Link

Worth it - used it, found damp, got it repaired under warranty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If so, what model? Is it any good?

If you are going to be using it regularly, then going to the expense of a Protimeter would be worth considering.

I had one when I had a coach built, excellent bit of kit.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Dont own a damp meter because i know the principle behind them but never been shown how to use them properly.

I understand they are useful but in the wrong hands they can be as good as useless. Thats what i think anyway .

Saying that though i should really buy one to at least have a chance to learn.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I DO I DO I DO I DO WHEY HEY HEY I've done something right that's technical. :) . Don't know how you use it but I guess I'm half way there. :)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I used to use them years ago when I was working they were called moisture meters then and the trade standard ones were as Grommet has said the Protimeter they are not the cheapest but were constantly in use and had to be checked and calibrated yearly and certified and they were always within tolerances, you could get various attachments for testing different products, I think the non invasive type was the dearest model but did not leave any holes .I bought the aldi prong type one and had it checked against the expensive one and it matched it but you have to selective where you use it unless you don't mind two small holes in your surfaces.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Perhaps MHF should hold a damp testing tutorial rally...
It is certainly one topic which concerns a lot of motorhomers

It wouldn't be much FUN finding all that damp though.
Maybe The Dark Side or Caravan Club should organise it?:)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
CEM DT128, had it about 5 years.
Good meter, good price too.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have one from Maplins, however was not happy sticking the 2 pins in all over the van..

Bought a Non Invasive one from ebay china for £23 ish as in picture.. After every hab check i have compared reading and its never far out with the engineers.. My view, even with a non calibrated cheap meter you can check the van and see the average readings, if you find a spot that gives a higher reading then at least you are aware it needs further investigation...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 29
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had my protimeter for 7 years before selling it. I had it calibrated before selling it on and it was still 100% with no drift at all. It had built in probes and a fly lead set of probes. The meter was graduated with figures but also had red/amber/green lights to make it clear what was good etc. Helped me track down a hole left by the solar panel fitters....

I am old school and prefer the ones with probes.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I
Bought a Non Invasive one from ebay china for £23 ish as in picture..

Got the same one, seems to work a treat. It says my hand has got damp but the walls, mostly, are dry.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It wouldn't be much FUN finding all that damp though.
Maybe The Dark Side or Caravan Club should organise it?:)

Damp Caravanner of the year

Grenville the CC Chairman would be up for it. Might be more exciting than the other show.
caravanneroftheyear.jpg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes - cheap from Maplins (with prongs).
No - it's no good for motorhome use but now has new employment as a log tester before burning logs on the stove.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Is this true - hope so - panel van conversions don't get damp?

It was my understanding & when I asked the question Duncan said no, damp wasn't an issue... he did helpfully comment though that they might leak if you get a damaged seal in a roof light... but you'd notice that as soon as it rained :rolleyes:.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do you suspect a bit of damp Jim ? :LOL:

No, the usual visual checks show the RV is bone dry. But its been really wet in wales the last week and I haven't had her checked this year so its a good time to give her a check over and I thought about buying a meter to do it myself.

This is the one some have mentioned, for a pinless model it looks OK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No, the usual visual checks show the RV is bone dry. But its been really wet in wales the last week and I haven't had her checked this year so its a good time to give her a check over and I thought about buying a meter to do it myself.

This is the one some have mentioned, for a pinless model it looks OK

I have the same one. Works OK but it's a bit bulky so can't get into awkward corners like a professional one with a probe.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Link Removed

Maplins prong type, works fine. To avoid unsightly holes I use it under the seals round the door and windows and inside the lockers.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim I have 3 or 4 one a £100 plus jobby and a couple of Aldi ones -when I tried the Aldi ones out against the expensive one they gave more or less the same readings (y)-I bought half a dozen of the Aldi ones because they were reduced to about a fiver but gave most away -They are all hiding somewhere in the garage :DWhat I am trying to say is some cheap ones work just as well as expensive ones (y)I have no qualms on using the Aldi ones -good kit for what I think was about £5 (£12 if I had paid) full price :)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back