Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ooo...errr Mrs.....

That got your attention ....

I got my nipple covers off at the weekend on the rear torsion axle and cleaned them up with a view to greasing them next weekend as per recent threads on here.
Two questions...

Are there just the two grease nipples ? I could only find two, one on each end of the axle behind the wheel, are there any others ?

Also, I ordered a grease gun off ebay that comes with grease cartridges (no spec for grease), will these be ok for the job or do I need a trip to Halfords for better quality grease ?
20160924_155921.jpg
20160925_130033.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You got me all excited.
I take it you are referring to an Al-Ko chassis if so just the two.
Al-Ko do specify a particular grease which is expensive and difficult to get hold of. I think some members have contacted Al-Ko and been told Castrol LM greese is OK but don't take my word for it.
My local commercials repairers only charge 20 quid to do it with the correct greese so not worth the hassle of trying to do it myself.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well you might as well have been talking about bodily striptease for me .. I still don't understand even with your photos. :( ..Please can you tell me with a simple yes or no, do I need to worry about removing them please? If so when and why.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Well you might as well have been talking about bodily striptease for me .. I still don't understand even with your photos. :( ..Please can you tell me with a simple yes or no, do I need to worry about removing them please? If so when and why.

Don't worry about it, Joy.
Should be done on service.

Blokes just like talking about greasy nipples. :whistle2:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't worry about it, Joy.
Should be done on service.
Often not, on the vehicle service they ignore it thinking its part of the hab service, on the hab service they ignore it thinking its part of of the vehicle service and you end up with a bill for a few grand for a new axle.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Often not, on the vehicle service they ignore it thinking its part of the hab service, on the hab service they ignore it thinking its part of of the vehicle service and you end up with a bill for a few grand for a new axle.

AS the customer, it's easy enough to require it be done as a service item?
Mine gets done as part of normal vehicle service / MOT prep.

Something to watch for, even so.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

:(

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Please can you tell me with a simple yes or no, do I need to worry about removing them please? If so when and why.

Don`t remove them, this forum is not equipped for that sort of excitement and you don`t know what the consequences would be for some of the members on here !
Just check if you have an Al-Ko chassis and if you do, ask your garage to grease the rear torsion bar suspension at next service.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I belive ive read that both wheels need to be of the ground when you inject the grease

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Correct. Left and right are independent. It's a common misconception that the manual means both at the same time.

Info I gleened from your very useful thread on here - many thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My local commercials repairers only charge 20 quid to do it with the correct greese so not worth the hassle of trying to do it myself.
Have you ever seen the packaged grease ?

Reason i ask it seems strange why a commercial garage would carry a 'hard to get' grease specifically designed for Alko axles.

Or do you mean they use Cqstrol LM grease ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I keep opening this thread - even though I know the content won't be what I hope it would be :doh:.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Correct. Left and right are independent. It's a common misconception that the manual means both at the same time.
Early torsion rod axles need complete relief on the axle as the 3 torsion rods pass the full width of the axle from each end.
From memory it needs no more than 4 pumps either end.
Later torsion blade axles can be greased regardless of one end being loaded.
From memory (my 1999 Kontiki) some early axles had 4 nipples....two near the hub ends and two on top further inboard which always got overlooked as they are hard to access.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I don't regard mine as early and even if they passed right through they'd have to be clamped in the centre or there would be no torsion.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't regard mine as early and even if the passed right through they'd have to be clamped in the centre or there would be no torsion.
Of course not Andy, but some reading this thread may have the early axle and miss the inboard nipples.

And they are clamped inboard of the opposite end and the rods at that end pass throufh the clamping plate and anchore at the opposite end.
They are not short, half length bars which may be why they were changed to torsion blades.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you ever seen the packaged grease ?

Reason i ask it seems strange why a commercial garage would carry a 'hard to get' grease specifically designed for Alko axles.

Or do you mean they use Cqstrol LM grease ?
They are also an motorhome service centre and carry the correct grease.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The last torsion bars I had were the front suspension on my blaze Morris Marina Coupe back in 1973!

I am leaving the nipples out of this!:p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back