Useful to know in an emergency situation (1 Viewer)

Myrddin

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
Penllergaer, near Swansea
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
16 years
This Is Not A Joke!
4 THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNEW
YOUR MOBILE PHONE COULD DO

There are a few things that can be
done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST

Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is

If you find yourself out of the coverage area of
your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you,
and interestingly this number
112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND

Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday.
Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your
keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from
your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end.

Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.
Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can
unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile 0phone!'

THIRD

Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your mobile battery is very low.
To activate, press the keys
*3370#
Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery.

This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

FOURTH

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone:
* # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

When your phone get stolen, you ca n phone your service provider and give them this code.

They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the
SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.

You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.

If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

ATM - PIN Number Reversal -
Good to Know
If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN number in reverse.

For example, if your pin number is
1234, then you would put in 4321..

The A TM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine.

The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location.

This information was recently broadcast on CTV by Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

Myrddin

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
This Is Not A Joke!
4 THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNEW
YOUR MOBILE PHONE COULD DO

There are a few things that can be
done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST

Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is

If you find yourself out of the coverage area of
your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you,
and interestingly this number
112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND

Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday.
Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your
keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from
your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end.

Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.
Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can
unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile 0phone!'

THIRD

Hidden Battery Power

To activate, press the keys
*3370#
Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery.

This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

FOURTH

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone:
* # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

When your phone get stolen, you ca n phone your service provider and give them this code.

They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the
SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.

You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.

If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

ATM - PIN Number Reversal -
Good to Know
If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN number in reverse.

For example, if your pin number is
1234, then you would put in 4321..

The A TM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine.

The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location.

This information was recently broadcast on CTV by Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

Myrddin

Hi Ive tried number 2 and it didnt work. It didnt work for anybody else thats tried it either.

The PIN number one has been on the forum before under a different guise, the thing with this one is how can you try it out to see if it works without having the sweeney driving all over you if it does work.

Didnt know about the others.

Jim
:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have been told by a lady who full times in Spain that 112 will connect you to the police in Spain. I even have it as a stored number on my moby under "Spain Police".

Jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well, bu**er me!!!!!!

i never knew my mobile could make phonecalls as well.

always thought it just rang when someone wanted me like the old BT pagers.

it has a camera.....now who would have thought that you could talk into a camera and get a reply.

it has games......now who would have thought that you could talk into a games console and get a reply.

now who do i know with a phone to try this new fangled phone call malarky. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i did try No 2 a few weeks ago, when a similar thread first appeared, and at first glance it appeared to work but thinking about it, it was probably coincidence and i was still just in range of the fob.:Doh:

pin reversal is absolute drivel.....you enter any number but the correct one and the machine cannot match pin and card chip.......and some machines only give you one chance to get it right or 'steal' your card.

No 4 only works if the phone has been registered with the service provider. otherwise they cant do anything.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have been told by a lady who full times in Spain that 112 will connect you to the police in Spain. I even have it as a stored number on my moby under "Spain Police".

Jim

here you go Jim...

Regional Emergency Numbers
Anywhere in the world one can call an emergency telephone number for emergency help. These numbers include:
"911” in North America
”999" or “112” in the United Kingdom
“112" in Europe
"000” in Australia
"111” in New Zealand
"119" in parts of Asia
Within the European Union and on GSM mobile phone networks 112 can be used in count to any local emergency number.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
here you go Jim...

Anywhere in the world one can call an emergency telephone number for emergency help. These numbers include:
"911” in North America
“112" in Europe
"000” in Australia
"111” in New Zealand
"119" in parts of Asia
Within the European Union and on GSM mobile phone networks 112 can be used in count to any local emergency number.

Hi Pappa

I watch plenty of telly so know the 911, dont think I'll ever get to ozz or new zealand although i'd like to.

Asia, a big place so you never know.

Jim
:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappa

I watch plenty of telly so know the 911, dont think I'll ever get to ozz or new zealand although i'd like to.

Asia, a big place so you never know.

Jim
:thumb:

i agree Jim.....though i have been to the US, Oz and Asia but never needed the law/ambulance/fire service :Doh:

so the only one we need is 112 or 999. :thumb:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I can point my car keys at my monitor (cctv) in the house and it opens my car....Just thought i'd add this piece of useless information :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

shirl

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Being a doubting git I deliberately let my fone battery get to the point it was almost dead !

Tried the

THIRD
Hidden Battery Power
To activate, press the keys *3370#

And sorry to say it did not work .. This is on a Nokia Navigator

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
With any due respect, I would say that all 5 statements are (in varying degrees) are false.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Just to add another not so well known fact/rubbish, if you hold you remote key/door opener next to your head it will work at a greater range, I'm not sure that makes sense, but i can't think of another way to explain it, Clarkson did it on one of his shows :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The emergency call when you are out of range of your own service provider actually does work.

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Boring, been posted on every type of Forum on the net, but undoubtedly it will appear again in another 3 months with a friend of a friend having done it and it all worked :Doh:

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi Ive tried number 2 and it didnt work. It didnt work for anybody else thats tried it either.

The PIN number one has been on the forum before under a different guise, the thing with this one is how can you try it out to see if it works without having the sweeney driving all over you if it does work.

Didnt know about the others.

Jim

I didn't think that cars remotes worked on sound (ultrasonics) any more. Aren't most of the worked by radio signals?

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I was interested to see that 22 members have thanked the OP

Can I ask those thankers, which piece or pieces of information they think useful.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
unlock car with phone

i see on the adverts there is now an app for iphone to do just that.:Eeek:
i can see it now all the scrotes waiting for you to press your fob so their iphone can record it and unlock your car and nick its contents. :Doh:
what was wrong with a good old fashioned key.
the only way any mobile is going to open my car is throwing it through the bloody window.

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
re: the emergancy services numbers, i spent 7 years of my life before i was 12 in germay, and i recall they had 2 emergancy numbers, one for the police and the other for the fire service, who also run the ambulance service.

anyone know if this is still the case, i remember is as i was in the scouts, and we always carried a 10 pfenning piece with is as the payphones back then needed money before they would make any call, emergancy ones too... tho you got the money back for an emergancy call.

the thing about the phones 'emergancy' battery, i recall it was available on some old nokia phones, back then they had ni-cads for battery packs, but now they have lithium polymer batteries, and if you discharge them too much you ruin them, hence they have built in protection to prevent over discharge.

the thing about putting the remote on your head is true, but you place it against your chin as that's where the bone is closest to the surface, it then uses your head as an antenna (if it dosent work for you, then the signal is bouncing around inside your head and can't get out :ROFLMAO:

i used to do that to shut a car alarmoff when it was set off at night outside my house, too far for the signal to reach, but i could see the van so if i was sure no one was doing owt, i'd avoid having to go downstairs to reset the alarm by using my skull as an antenna.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Emergency services.

The 112 emergency number was put in place by the EU so that Europeans can have one number to use anywhere within the EU. (A few non EU countries have also joined in). Most countries also have their own emergency codes that run in parallel, in the UK that's 999. A 999 and a 112 call are identical, they go to the same emergency operator and are dealt with in the same way. So if your in Europe don't worry about the local number just call 112 but remember its not a worldwide number its a European solution.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The 112 emergency number was put in place by the EU so that Europeans can have one number to use anywhere within the EU. (A few non EU countries have also joined in). Most countries also have their own emergency codes that run in parallel, in the UK that's 999. A 999 and a 112 call are identical, they go to the same emergency operator and are dealt with in the same way. So if your in Europe don't worry about the local number just call 112 but remember its not a worldwide number its a European solution.

agreed....

"911” in North America
“112" in Europe
"000” in Australia
"111” in New Zealand
"119" in parts of Asia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back