Lorry ban in Germany and a wide track weave (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just been reminiscing about driving through Germany a week or so ago on a sunday.....no lorries. For those of you that dont know they are banned from autobahns (over 7.5 tons) for the entire day.

Sunday is a good day to drive apart from the evenings when the Germans return home or relocate back to work at warp factor 10! Later on a Sunday You could also easily get caught up in a long queue, as Germans are extracted from the 100 mph shunter they just did in the roadworks.

On a lot of autobahns they keep lorries on the inside lanes during the day, The only downside to that is they have made tramlines in many of the roads. My wide track FIAT chassis dislikes this and goes into an unstable weave even at 56 MPH. I did what I used to do avoid a tankslapper on my bike, gently backed off the gas and lightly held the steering wheel but let it ride out the instability. It was very difficult to get any kind of sweet spot on these tramlines, and a little dangerous particularly at speed. It could get you caught out :(

Anyway the lorry ban is something the UK should be considering, its much better all round.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I didn’t realise till I went to an aerial photo exhibition of 30's Scottish industrial sites, just how extensive the old branch line system was
Basically most factories or industrial estates of note had a branch line going to them, plus of course the intergrated post office system....Successive govts and The road lobby destroyed all that.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Doubtless everyone probably knows this anyway, but the French have had a "No HGV (except refrigerated) Sunday ban" on their Autoroutes for years - I'm not sure, but it may apply to the Route Nationals too.

I don't know that we'll ever see it being adopted in the UK, we're too much of a workaholic * nation. Nice to dream though.

[Edit] * and money grabbing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Doubtless everyone probably knows this anyway, but the French have had a "No HGV (except refrigerated) Sunday ban" on their Autoroutes for years - I'm not sure, but it may apply to the Route Nationals too.

I don't know that we'll ever see it being adopted in the UK, we're too much of a workaholic nation. Nice to dream though.
The Germans would no doubt consider themselves the hardest workers in Europe....but obviously adding in eastern european and German HGV drivers into the mad sunday evening rush was causing to much carnage.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I didn’t realise till I went to an aerial photo exhibition of 30's Scottish industrial sites, just how extensive the old branch line system was
Basically most factories or industrial estates of note had a branch line going to them, plus of course the intergrated post office system....Successive govts and The road lobby destroyed all that.

(y)Yep I worked at a old Slaughterhouse years ago and that still had the sidings and loading bay for trains, the site is now a housing estate, often wonder if the big hole with hundreds of cattle bodies covered in quicklime because of foot and mouth are still under the houses:eek::eek:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I visited one of our mills in the States, raw materials (Polypropylene pellets) all came by rail into a siding, did away with the need for silo's for storage, just move another truck into the mill when required.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
May have been posted in jest, but in reality too slow and long-winded. Trains "MAY" be quicker over a long distance, but you've still got to get the goods to and from the depots. Until someone invents teleportation I'm afraid trucks (and cars) are here to stay because they're the most versatile means of getting goods (and people) from A to B.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
I visited one of our mills in the States, raw materials (Polypropylene pellets) all came by rail into a siding, did away with the need for silo's for storage, just move another truck into the mill when required.
Somewhat different scenario though. USA, big country, plenty of space and a single type product, delivered in bulk to (presumably) a large plant. I'm sure the same applies to large plants in this country. But undoubtedly sizeable quantities of goods will be delivered by road in both cases.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is a fixed amount of product that needs to be shifted each week. If you ban lorries on 1 day in 7 then that traffic will just move to other days.

You will end up with worse congestion on the roads the rest of the week with a Sunday ban. Deliveries would take longer and costs would rise.

Just saying :p

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The HGV ban is not just in Germany. The HGV ban is Europe wide from midday Saturday until midnight Sunday. The only HGVs allowed on any road other than the corridor through Belgium during these times are those carrying perishables. The service areas of Luxembourg are like a Le Mons start at midnight Sunday and to avoided by all other than the foolhardy.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Supermarkets not being open on Sundays in France and Germany make a difference.

Dick

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just ban cars etc . let trucks use the roads . most car drivers could use trains or buses much easier then the goods folk. agter all most car drivers are the dangerous drivers racing around .
be far better if car drivers had a test every ten years as most seem to have forgotten rules etc and most cant see more than a few feet in front of them . and never if it doesnt suit them.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Supermarkets not being open on Sundays in France and Germany make a difference.

Dick
And it was the relaxation of Sunday trading laws plus the shift to an "I want it and I want it now!!" society that has seen such a massive rise in vehicle (truck and van) movements in this country. That move will also rule out any possibility that we might ban trucks even for a few hours on a Sunday.

The other advantage of a Sunday ban on trucks is that at least almost all truck drivers get their weekly rest!

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I used to run to Italy with hanging lambs so the weekends were no problem and the best times to drive apart from the holidays. Know what you mean about the tramlines though. Could pretty much get to the M25 from Rugby without holding the wheel at one time

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
(y)Yep I worked at a old Slaughterhouse years ago and that still had the sidings and loading bay for trains, the site is now a housing estate, often wonder if the big hole with hundreds of cattle bodies covered in quicklime because of foot and mouth are still under the houses:eek::eek:

How strange! We had a local goods shunting yard (over the hump and wgons switched into the required siding) and the same happened there with cattle carcasses at the time of foot and mouth (not the recent outbreak).
Anyway, that yard and the liime pits beneath now display a large sign "........... every little helps" :)

You just never know what lies beneath your feet while you do your shopping.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
just ban cars etc . let trucks use the roads . most car drivers could use trains or buses much easier then the goods folk. agter all most car drivers are the dangerous drivers racing around .
be far better if car drivers had a test every ten years as most seem to have forgotten rules etc and most cant see more than a few feet in front of them . and never if it doesnt suit them.
I agree with you ! The Germans are allowed to drive far to fast for an average persons driving ability. Its also uncomfortable for MH users as the vortex created by cars doing 150+ mph is less predictable than even a lorry one, plus a kind of sonic boom !!!! :Eeek:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just been reminiscing about driving through Germany a week or so ago on a sunday.....no lorries. For those of you that dont know they are banned from autobahns (over 7.5 tons) for the entire day.

Sunday is a good day to drive apart from the evenings when the Germans return home or relocate back to work at warp factor 10! Later on a Sunday You could also easily get caught up in a long queue, as Germans are extracted from the 100 mph shunter they just did in the roadworks.

On a lot of autobahns they keep lorries on the inside lanes during the day, The only downside to that is they have made tramlines in many of the roads. My wide track FIAT chassis dislikes this and goes into an unstable weave even at 56 MPH. I did what I used to do avoid a tankslapper on my bike, gently backed off the gas and lightly held the steering wheel but let it ride out the instability. It was very difficult to get any kind of sweet spot on these tramlines, and a little dangerous particularly at speed. It could get you caught out :(

Anyway the lorry ban is something the UK should be considering, its much better all round.

Never had a problem with the Germans & roadworks . Always found that they are the ones who stick to the limit religiously. As opposed to the Begians, Dutch & French & the Uk ones who think they are going to get past with 16" of bike sticking out either side of their vehicle ! :LOL: Admittedly the instant it stops they are gone, exactly the same as exiting villages .

Exactly & ban the school run. If you can't get there walking then move closer or go to the local one as it's only a slum due to you allowing it to get that way.

I agree with you ! The Germans are allowed to drive far to fast for an average persons driving ability. Its also uncomfortable for MH users as the vortex created by cars doing 150+ mph is less predictable than even a lorry one, plus a kind of sonic boom !!!! :Eeek:
You aren't paying attention to the mirrors if they are coming up on you & catching you out at high speed.
Whys a lorry overtaking you ? That's what annoys them as in most areas France/Germany they are banned from overtaking cars so don't want to be following someone who is doing less than there limiter.
That's also why I've noticed recently that they have modified many signs with pictures of other vehicles they aren't supposed to overtake as they were using the "it's not a car" defence.:LOL:

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Never had a problem with the Germans & roadworks . Always found that they are the ones who stick to the limit religiously. As opposed to the Begians, Dutch & French & the Uk ones who think they are going to get past with 16" of bike sticking out either side of their vehicle ! :LOL: Admittedly the instant it stops they are gone, exactly the same as exiting villages .

Exactly & ban the school run. If you can't get there walking then move closer or go to the local one as it's only a slum due to you allowing it to get that way.

You aren't paying attention to the mirrors if they are coming up on you & catching you out at high speed.
Whys a lorry overtaking you ? That's what annoys them as in most areas France/Germany they are banned from overtaking cars so don't want to be following someone who is doing less than there limiter.
That's also why I've noticed recently that they have modified many signs with pictures of other vehicles they aren't supposed to overtake as they were using the "it's not a car" defence.:LOL:
I take your point Mr Lopez on the speed, but I am driving to my comfort limit in the MH not their speed limiter :p
But seriously these cars are going so fast its impossible to see every one!!

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
I'm with Campa Cola on this one. My driving experience in Germany is largely based upon when I was a dreaded "White Van Man" - didn't want to drive trucks there, too much red tape and hassle. Of all the tens of thousands of miles I've driven all over Europe the German autobahns have to be the least pleasurable. Largely 2 lane, you're closing on something you want to overtake, check your mirrors, indicate, re-check your mirrors and what was a far distant speck is now barrelling down on you at an incredible rate of knots. Also, getting stuck in a line of trucks on a busy stretch is fatal, no bugger will let you out to overtake. The majority of their exits (ausfahts) seem to be hairpins and - certainly up until 6 years ago - closing down roads to single lane / contraflow for miles on end seemed to be a national pastime.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I'm with Campa Cola on this one. My driving experience in Germany is largely based upon when I was a dreaded "White Van Man" - didn't want to drive trucks there, too much red tape and hassle. Of all the tens of thousands of miles I've driven all over Europe the German autobahns have to be the least pleasurable. Largely 2 lane, you're closing on something you want to overtake, check your mirrors, indicate, re-check your mirrors and what was a far distant speck is now barrelling down on you at an incredible rate of knots. Also, getting stuck in a line of trucks on a busy stretch is fatal, no bugger will let you out to overtake. The majority of their exits (ausfahts) seem to be hairpins and - certainly up until 6 years ago - closing down roads to single lane / contraflow for miles on end seemed to be a national pastime.
Same today, loads and loads of road works, narrow lanes are on the left usually 2.1 meters, so some may have to watch out you dont get funelled down there o_O

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is because they are upgrading most of the heavy trafficked autobahns to 4 lanes & have been since at least 2011.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Trouble is if you live in rural areas that might be your local school so driving is the only option

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
This is because they are upgrading most of the heavy trafficked autobahns to 4 lanes & have been since at least 2011.

Yes been all over central Germany and Bavaria for 5 weeks and just about every motorway has got miles of roadworks.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
If they are then good for them. What I recall seeing certainly didn't look like road widening of any significance though.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yes been all over central Germany and Bavaria for 5 weeks and just about every motorway has got miles of roadworks.
Google maps did a good job for me, avoiding a nearly 2 hour delay by going on an shortish parallel route. Well done 3 as well live map data in nearly all of europe, yay!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Germany has had the hgv ban for years, even when I was driving there in the 70s and 80s. hgv bans on autobahns sunday and bank holidays unless livestock or perishables.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back