Fiamma awning and wind speed (2 Viewers)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
I know the answer is use your common sense but at what sort of wind speed should you roll them in? We have 4.5m and always use straps to anchor it.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
From what I saw happen to a friends van last year it is the sudden gust that comes from seemable nowhere that does the damage. Unless you are sat under it put the storm straps on almost every time

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and beware the storm straps, after reading such threads on here we bought some ratchet straps attached to some of the fittings that slide into the awning front.

We have now permanently bent the front rail on our awning, so badly it will not go away properly o_O

I think I will be treating mine as a sun shade for nice days only when we get ours swapped

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I never put mine out in anything above a gentle breeze. Have seen too many damaged including one going right back over the top of the motorhome. It's the inconvenience of it all and cost for putting damage right and new awning. Ours is 6metres long so catches the wind easily. It's a shade if the Suns hot.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Got so fed up with having to put it away after 10min didn't bother with one on this van not really missed it apart from a few days in Germany a couple of weeks ago when it was 34 every day. Haven't bother with one on the new van we have just ordered.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
If you do put it out, make sure you use anchor straps......

We put ours out, pegged the legs and went for a long walk with the dog...a heavy windy rain storm came through and when we got back our awning had collapsed due to wind and water...

Expensive mistake.....

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It's those freak winds and storms that turn up unexpected and uninvited and trash the awning that we all hate. At the Crick boatshow one year and it poured down like no ones business. Mine deploys on the left and was literally buckling under the weight of water, even after having it lowered one end. The hymer beside me had his deployed out to the right and in the "eye" of the storm and it had snapped one leg and completely buckled the frame. Mine would have been worse if it hadn't been sheltered by the actual vehicle. Expense act of god.

Also quite noisy if left out overnight and the wind gets up.

Don't think I've deployed mine in a year. If it's sunny, I want the sunshine, if it's wet, I leave it in as I'm hardly likely to sit outside in it.

Think unless you're suffering in +30's and need the shade, leave it in?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use mine all the time. I use a luggage elastic double over the outer end of each roof beam. Each is attached to two heavy cord guy ropes. One guy rope is pegged at right-angles to the front rail & the other in line beyond the end of the awning. Repeat at the other end of the awning. I never, ever, use the awning without the guy ropes in place and I only take it in when the noise becomes unbearable.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Get an Omnistor fitted.

They are better than Fiamma.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
we are amazed how everytime we go over Europe how many people wind out their awnings , some put the legs down some dont, most dont tie anything to them, then go off for the day without a care .

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Some yeas ago, when we were real novices, ( we all were once), we were on a site near Lake Maggiore.

We were sat having a glass of wine when we saw the people next to us wind in their awning. We thought they must be thinking of moving on.

When others started doing the same we just assumed that it was a "moving on day".

When the wind suddenly hit we were hanging on to the awning for about ten minutes. We suffered no damage as a result but had to clear up for the next door pitch who were away.

We gathered up their washing, which was spread about the area, and took down the remains of their caravan awning.

We now always take notice of what our neighbours are doing, never leave out our awning when leaving the site and take it in every evening. Maybe overkill, but we still have our awning!

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
A heavy down pour in slovenia last year ripped our awning right off the panel van we had at the time, broke the alloy arms and twisted box section like it was made of cheese, was scary how robust you think these things are and surprising how they snapped and were pulled apart from a down pour, we never leave our awning out anymore unattended.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We have gone through a few good storms with our awning and safari room rigged. We use two tie downs in slot in the front rail and a 50mm ratchet strap over the middle of the awning. We always have the mid point rafter fitted and now have a lengthways rafter that fits to the spring arms. Proper set up is the answer, though there is always a difference in the effort for a weekend or 6 months snowbirding.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I cannot understand the use of ratchet straps when used with a spring !!!does not make sense at all,,,,BUSBY:):)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We have gone through a few good storms with our awning and safari room rigged. We use two tie downs in slot in the front rail and a 50mm ratchet strap over the middle of the awning. We always have the mid point rafter fitted and now have a lengthways rafter that fits to the spring arms. Proper set up is the answer, though there is always a difference in the effort for a weekend or 6 months snowbirding.

When you use a Safari room the wind cannot get under it the same as just using the canopy so much safer,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Shock loading, the spring reduces the shock load on the awning mounting point.

I know that but if you are putting flexibility on the straps why the need for ratchets,,,BUSBY.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we learnt the lesson about strapping and dropping a canopy, whether fiamma or omnistor. near the sea, you often find the wind gusts at the turn of the tide. have seen many wrecked canopies and damaged vans caused by insecure canopies

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
How does anyone else secure the straps to the ground? We use a couple of these from pet stores if we can get them into the ground or if not some other immovable object such as the trees or hedges around the pitches in Spain
34739PL.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
How does anyone else secure the straps to the ground? We use a couple of these from pet stores if we can get them into the ground or if not some other immovable object such as the trees or hedges around the pitches in Spain
View attachment 125894
beware those corkscrews as they snap far too easily where the pin passes through it. they are no good at restraining a 20kg dog. no way will they hold an awning if the wind gets up

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I replaced a broken end cap last year which supports the roller canopy. Held on with just three self tapping screws! Having seen how flimsy they are constructed I would never leave it over night.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I know that but if you are putting flexibility on the straps why the need for ratchets,,,BUSBY.

Personally I use them because a ratchet strap by their nature is less likely to slacken off due to the constant tugging from the spring on a breezy day compared to a tied knot or a fold over clasp type arrangement.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We lost our 3m Fiamma F45s in a sudden torrential storm in June, it popped a leg out and buckled one hinged arm. Has anyone experience of replacing the arms on these awnings? I see that all parts 'should' be available.

I have replaced the whole thing now but would like to look into repairing the damaged one if it is possible.

Rod

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have a 6m Omnistore which is like a huge sail.
I never put it out without 5 (five!) ratchet straps with BIG pegs and a centre support post and wind it in every evening.
HOWEVER there have been several occasions when the wind has got up suddenly and it would have been dangerous to undo the straps to wind it in. Cue sleepless night but so far no damage despite some Very Strong winds in Morocco.

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
had mine up with the safari room many times in strong winds and heavy rain storm straps on the front and the centre bar in and have had no problems. but i would not leave it wound out in strong winds if i didnt have the safari room fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back